View Single Post
Old 28-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #47
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

i will dissagree on the not jake changing.
there are some hills that when im up on my weights, and have accelerated from the lights at the bottom, the only way to go up is to jake change( almost NEVER do it tho ). i learnt it just so i can do it if the need ever arises.
if my gear grabs, i dont force it, i just tap the clutch. no sense in dragging it out, cause then it will probably throw into a wrong gear.

as far as only very good drivers being able to clutchless change, i wouldnt rate my self as anything too special, just a typical person who respects the equipment. unlike some "fleet" drivers....
i couldnt care about the eaton warranty as the only box i have killed absolutley shattered when a bearing cage parted company with the bearing and went thru several cogs. this was due to the tool who re-raced it using cheap ****ty bearings..

apart from the gears broken, there was negligable wear on an old 9 speed butterbox that had been clutchless shifted all its life. it was all WELL within spec at 1.5 million of local work. just proved to expensive to get the cogs that broke to resurect it.

all it takes is some mechanical sympathy and a decent operator to do it. using the clutch all the time just wears it out and tires the driver. i was instructed NOT to use it when learning. have been instructed by several mechs not to, so as i have had no adverse i wont but each to their own.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote