Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
cupic
Nikon

Default When will 5yr warranty be the Norm?

Will this be used in Ford's plan to bring the faithful back and entice new blood in the Ford Family Owners Club.
Companies are starting so will Ford be an Australian First after Hyundai effort.

Time will tell I just hope it doesn't run out permanently

cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
bmorris

Default Re: When will 5yr warranty be the Norm?

Question has to be asked if they would sell more cars as a result compared to the extra warranty costs.
Old 20-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If there are no manufacturing or build quality defects, the warranty is worth zilch,
try arguing a warranty claim with ZF or VW over one of their failed DSG gearboxes..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorris View Post
Question has to be asked if they would sell more cars as a result compared to the extra warranty costs.
if we look back at the history of certain car models over the years even though they are seen as excellent cars in general , people still worry about any those problems resurfacing, even if it was rectified some years ago, you still hear people ask questions about model x problem from 2006.
I'm sure in many cases the extra warranty would be a decider on vehicle purchase.
If nothing else it is a form of insurance........ maybe.

Last edited by mik; 20-07-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: add
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with everyone buying chinese and indian made cars now id suspect the warranties to go back to 12 months.i know someone who has blown the motor in there great wall, guess what its just out of warranty.would have been cheaper for them to buy a ford.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Most people would probably feel happier with a 5 year new car warranty instead 3 years, but I'm probably happier with just a 3 year warranty. Costs of extended warranties are always buried in the purchase cost of the car, which I don't really want to pay for, if I don't use it.

With the 3 year warranty expired, I am then free to do what I like with my car, service it to my satisfaction instead of an unsupervised first year apprentice, or change components with improved versions of my choice, such as diff bushes, clutch, exhaust, transmission heat exchangers etc. Sure, I pay for them if failure occurs, but its only if and when it happens, not as an upfront cost, and I am happier the replacement component is then an improved type which should hopefully last much longer and/or perform better.

Saying that, I still haven't had any warranty claims with my XR50, the 3 year warranty is due to expire in 3 months. A thorough check will be done before then however.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Cuyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
if we look back at the history of certain car models over the years even though they are seen as excellent cars in general , people still worry about any those problems resurfacing, even if it was rectified some years ago, you still hear people ask questions about model x problem from 2006.
I'm sure in many cases the extra warranty would be a decider on vehicle purchase.
If nothing else it is a form of insurance........ maybe.

5 years is the norm right now... The reason Ford has such a bad reputation with mechanics today is STILL the E series head gaskets, that followed up with the ever present body rust in the Falcons which is still to this day not fixed. Those two thing combined are the only reason they didnt match holden in sales these last 20 years despite often having the "better" car. Holden were lucky they didnt have any major mehanical problem during that time and most commodores do drive to the scrap yard under there own power rust free. If there were a now almost industry standard 10 year corosion warrenty on the falcon starting with the ba things might have been little different but the end was still comming. It just shows how important what you do today is for your sales 10 or 20 years down the road.
Cuyper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
a-total-tool

Why would companies go above and beyond what they need to? So many manufacturers only offer either the bare minimum and tend to only go above the bare minimum (which is the 3 years/100,000 km by law) when they know that not many cars would reach that point. Look at those offering unlimited km warranties (off the top of my head, Hyundai, Kia and some Mazdas have this). The unlimited km only applies to private owners (not fleet/government/security/hire cars). How many of these cars would do the high kms with private ownership?

The only time you will see the 5 year warranties become the norm is when they are legislated.
a-total-tool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the reasons we bought our Triton is that it came with a three year comprehensive warranty and after that you have the option of keeping it going for another two years.

These days with prices being what they are, five years of peace of mind is worth it. What, don't some manufacturers trust their car for five years with no major problems...?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Warranty is purely used as a marketing / sales tool. When people weigh up car choices its a factor that goes into their decision making.

The plan would be to offer 5 year warranty and 5 year fixed price servicing, locking the customer into your brand/dealership network for at least 5 years, in theory the exercise pays for itself with increased service business (in theory, so long as the build quality is acceptable).

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Falcon, Falcon Ute and possibly Territory have had 5 year / 200,000km warranties on them on a regular basis the past 18 months. Usually for a period of 1-2 month promotional period at a time.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #12
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc View Post
Falcon, Falcon Ute and possibly Territory have had 5 year / 200,000km warranties on them on a regular basis the past 18 months. Usually for a period of 1-2 month promotional period at a time.
Instead of promotional keep it permanently
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember when the warrantee on a new Holden or Falcon was 3 months or three thousand miles. The first car in Aust. to have a 12/12 warrantee was the XL Falcon.
Old 24-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As late as the XF era the warranty was only a year/20,000km. Remember the "Nissan Ute"? People laughed at those who bought them, saying "why didn't you just buy a Falcon?", but that was only until they pointed out that buying a Falcon ute from Ford only got you a 12/20,000 warranty, but the exact same car from Nissan with a "Ute" badge on it got you the standard Nissan 2 year/40,000 warranty.

People do care about length of warranty...as I said, these days when a relatively minor mechanical defect can cost thousands to fix, the peace of mind is well worth it.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post