Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default Bad Quality Products / Purchases

Let's see if this thread works or not - its just an idea!

I thought we could all put up things we've bought from places (online or a shop) that are just dodgy and not worth wasting your money as a warning to others!

Please don't judge/criticise people on buying cheaper products (tools in my case), sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

I'll start,

Product - Gear Puller
eBay Seller - hardwarebargain
I bought one of these off eBay for the pricey sum of $18.50 + $11 delivery. It's (was) a 3 Jaw 6" machine that looked like it should be able to pull of my BA's front hubs.

But no, after setting it up, starting to get things moving the main threaded rod bends, making it very difficult to turn! And of course spurring my interest in the quality of this "drop forged from heat treated high carbon steel".

Regardless, seeing as I've decided that this is a one use only tool, I continue for a couple of turns before a crack and lots of movement! The excitement of thinking the hub was off quickly turned to disappointment as I realise now the main threaded rod is bent .... and now threaded, thus completely useless.

Anyway I've sent the seller a message, asking about returns process. Though reading the listing says if it's a warranty replacement - I must pay for postage to and from the seller.
No chance.

Long story short - made the 2 hour round trip and bought a Stanley puller from $49.99 from SuperCheapAuto (none of my locals had any), quality straight off the bat much better, and it pulled my hub off in seconds with no hint of failure.

Hopefully my story will save someone else buying this rubbish and then having their car on stands for 3 days until they can get out to buy a new, better quality one!

So just post up what you bought, where from and why we should avoid it!

Last edited by Simple6; 06-09-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Simple6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bad Quality Products / Purchases

drop forged sometimes means they forged it and then they dropped it.............

Mine is super tie rod removers. Went thru 3 of em in about half hour. all went back. the cast cracks and they fall in half
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Sterling
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive got one off the top of my head,

i know its actualy almost completely pointless as i dont know the brand names

but i have purchase three, YES THREE different tachometers through ebay

they all had weird names like (autopartsdirect) or (gofastawesomeparts) etc etc.

so, 1st one (3.5inch) didnt work at all, completely dead. cost like $50 odd.

second one worked completely normally. except when you rev to 4K the tacho stops moving and the shift light starts having a spastic attack. - this was a 5" one and had a few adjustments and that, played with all and nothing. $100odd

third one, (another 3.5inch one) from day one was just plain unco and jittery, needle bouncing all over the place, and sometimes not moving at all. $75

they all came with instructions, and none of them help.

a friend bought one from autobarn, has been working perfectly for about 8-9 months now. never looked back.

there are DEFINATELY some things that are not worth trying to buy cheaper.

this made me realise, there is a reason why autobarn/supercheap tacho's are so much more expensive.... they WORK
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Rambunctious

Probably my worst purchase to date was a Metal Cutoff Saw, Tradetools Brand from Geebung store in Brisbane. Used for all home work not industry.
It stopped at 4 months and was repaired under the 12 month warranty.
Stopped again at 20 months and shut off the power to the house in the process.
Had it tested again and it had burnt out the motor and was not worth repairing.
$179 down the gurgler.
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambunctious
Probably my worst purchase to date was a Metal Cutoff Saw, Tradetools Brand from Geebung store in Brisbane. Used for all home work not industry.
It stopped at 4 months and was repaired under the 12 month warranty.
Stopped again at 20 months and shut off the power to the house in the process.
Had it tested again and it had burnt out the motor and was not worth repairing.
$179 down the gurgler.
Bought same saw for my father in law. Lots of work and has been flawless so far. 3 years old now.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought a Sanyo DVD player from Big W.... has lasted 12months, now it doesnt read certain DVDs, or eject!
Lost the receipt.

But years ago i bought a water blaster from Big W... last 7months, had receipt, got new one. New one lasted... 7months, had new reciept, got another new one. That one lasted 2yrs!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It definitely pays to buy quality stuff. Bought a 'Base' Target brand telly, lasted just under 2 years before it bit the dust, bought a JVC and it's still kicking after 6 years, but even then it probably won't surpass the old Rank Arena that lasted 17 years. Appliances and other goods are much, much cheaper now than they were back in the 1990s but they definitely don't last as long.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

hmmmm, where ever to begin???
Bought a you beaut supercheap auto harmonic balancer puller... as soon as I had pressure on it the bolts in the balancer bent...= refund...

Bought a you beaut supercheap auto ball joint puller... After two uses the die cast whatever it was had reverted to its natural rubber state and now it just pops right off whatever you happen to be trying to pull...= bin.

Bought a pricey upscaling Samsung DVD recorder, just after 12 months started getting all sorts of artifacts on screen, at 15 months it dies, seeing as it was out of warranty I pulled it apart to find three blows capacitors in the power section of the board, replaced with same rating and they blew in about a week, replaced with higher rating caps, blew in a few days...= BIN!

I had an LG flatron 51cm telly for many many years and it still works just fine, so when I upgraded to plasma I went LG.... It lasted about half an hour before it was dropping out, producing all sorts of ugly artifacts, making many a high pitched squealing and buzzing noise and generally being a %**&% ... So took it back and swapped for a Panasonic viera.... MMMM quality!!

These are just the few items that come to me now in my booze addled state, there are many more, but they can wait until another night, lol
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
It definitely pays to buy quality stuff. Bought a 'Base' Target brand telly, lasted just under 2 years before it bit the dust, bought a JVC and it's still kicking after 6 years, but even then it probably won't surpass the old Rank Arena that lasted 17 years. Appliances and other goods are much, much cheaper now than they were back in the 1990s but they definitely don't last as long.

I reckon, I bought a second hand westinghouse fridge and upright freezer about 10 years ago for one hunnerd shiny $$ .... They lasted until July this year with nerry a jot of trouble and the compressor of the fridge died... I checked the manufacture year... 1984... So as the repair was too much I sold the freezer off and bought a new fridge.... Don't rightly know if I'll get 27 years out of it... .. Not bloody likely!!
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
Zero_PSI
Banned

With some of these I have to say you get what you pay for. I bought coil-packs off ebay and 2 of 6 worked. I replaced the lot and couldn't get a refund!
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Samsung Fridge - they make fantastic tv's and computer monitors - but their fridges are dodgy. I had one of those fancy ones that beeped if the door was left open too long...it lasted less than two years before the freezer started defrosting itself and regularly 'reversing' out of the kitchen (the beep alone drove me nuts), $400 to repair, purchased for $650...I threw it and bought a new fridge...

Apple Ipod classic...370 bucks worth of absolute crap - every time I plug it into a computer (any computer, even my mac), it freezes and dies...

Just because it's expensive, it doesn't necessarily mean it's good...

If the TV we currently have lasts the 25 years that our old NEC did before it started assuming we were all deaf and turning the volume up for us (and vice versa) , I'll be a happy camper...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our Samsung microwave died yesterday, just under two years after we bought it...I'm seeing a trend here...Samsung..
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a set of T bar allen keys from Total Tools in their own TTI brand.
I went to use the 2.5mm to undo the fairings on the Duc and it slipped, I thought ok maybe a dodgy bolt, next, the allen key twists about 90 degrees and is about to slip. Tried another and the fit was crap.
Took them back, and after discussing the facts I got my money back. Bought Teng Tool ones a few days later and no twisting or slipping...and they were $10 cheaper for the same size set!
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to be mindful with some brands, they've gone downhill in the last few years. Sanyo, Samsung, NEC and all the no-name brands get nearly all of their TVs, DVDs, etc from the same suppliers, if you take off the plastic facias they are absolutely identical. The old stalwarts like Panasonic, JVC, Sharp and Sony are still half decent for most things but you pay a premium.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Samsung series 4 Plasma, died just outside its 2 year warranty.

Samsung DVD recorder randomly freezes during recordings.

Fisher and Paykal fridge, the freezer ices up every 2 days, has to be defrosed manually which is annoying, Mum doesn't like Dad using her 30 year old hair dryer for the job LOL.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pannel beating kit from supa cheep , hammer's & dolly's kit first hit head broke off , second hammer ..........bingo head broke off on first hit also, took back & idiot sales man tryed telling me after i explaned what happened that they arn't desighned for industrial use only handy man ........hello nobby its a hammer its desighned to hit things!!!! got money back eventually .

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #17
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Toshiba LCD telly...slow and laggy out of the box...

Olympus u5010 14MP camera $200 from Bing lee on boxing day. Failed under warranty, exchanged. Failed again...(as the first time, lens goes in and out and makes ugly BZZZing noises then turns off, if anybody knows a fix or wants it PM me..) Bought myself a $500 Panasonic Lumix tough camera also from bing lee and so far is working tops

Snapped the ring end off a no name 13mm spanner ..

Im done with cheap ****. Im not made of money but usually its worth payin that bit extra.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Well I left my message to the eBay sellers for 4 days with no response. So negative feedback was left.

Just reminded me though, seeing someone mention Toshiba. I have a Toshiba DVD player - major rubbish. It was replaced under warranty once when it stopped playing regular DVD's (Not burnt disc's - real DVD's) and then about 6 months later did it again. So I bought a Sony Blue-Ray and so far so good!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #19
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I have had the worst experience with Samsung. I had a Samsung phone that never worked properly, a microwave that never cooked anything properly, and a video recorder that ate video tapes no matter how many times it was repaired.

I will never buy that brand again. I know people have said they have improved, but I have been burnt too many times now.

And LG - Life's good - my eye!! I bought an LG Fancy do hicky electronic space ship looking washing machine and had NOTHING but issues with it. Went back to my old faithful. turn the dial manually, Whirlpool washing machine in the end and threw the new one out for hard rubbish after 2mths. No point in having it repaired and it couldn't be returned for a refund as it was a sale item from a store that was closing down)...I was so grumpy with the darn thing, someone else was welcome to just take it and battle with the dark side.

I will stick with brands I grew up with from now on. The quality still seems alright on all the Sony gear we have.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

LG, Lifes Good? Nope. Their origins are that really crappy brand Goldstar. Now, LG the company literally call themselves Lucky Goldstar or LG for short.
Samsung were awesome years ago when they bought their boards from Singapore and in some cases Japan, but now they buy their boards and components from China so the quality has fallen away.
Sony were the worst name in Plasma a few years ago for this reason, and they've since moved everything back in house to get the quality back.
Panasonic get a lot of their components from China, but they're produced under licence, and the error rates on items are less than competitors.

Meanwhile, I have a 28 inch NEC TV that cost $1800.00 in 1983, that is still going, and the picture quality is better (less pixelisation) than my newer Sony LCD.
I also have a Sanyo 650 watt microwave that my parents gave to me, they bought it in 1981. It's still going strong.
I've gone through dozens of DVD players, recorders etc etc, they only seem to last 12 months tops.
Pre 2000 I think things were built to last, now they seem destined to just last long enough to get through the warranty period.

Quote: