Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
ILoveMyXD
Starter Motor

Default 1992 Ford Taurus info??

Hi all!
I'm looking at buying a Ford Taurus 1992, but the thing is i haven't really heard that much about them. Does anyone know someone with one, or have one yourself? The main thing i'm concerned about is getting parts if it dies on me.
All i know about it is that is the Ghia version and it has a V6 in it, and it's automatic.
If anyone has any info, good or bad, about this car, i would very much appreciate it
Thanks

ILoveMyXD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
ILoveMyXD
Starter Motor

Default Re: 1992 Ford Taurus info??

Sorry, that should be a 1996, not 92.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Parts are cheap if you get them from the US.
I wouldnt even bother trying to get stuff here for it.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

not trying to be rude but why????
are they paying you to take it? if not, run now, don't look back & if you really need something, by a bmx
it'll be better..
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Unfortunately, mechanical-wise, not many good things can be said about this car. The Falcon leaves it in the dust for reliability, cheap parts & performance.

However, if you absolutely must have one, then the US is the only realistic option for parts (youre gonna need em) as not many wreckers have them in stock.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
minheim

Steer clear is my suggestion. I remember asking the service manager at a Ford dealer what he thought of these in around 2000. He said a falcon was a better option then. 11 years on I think you would be buying a money pit as the electronics and other things age. I ended up buying a brand new AU classic and it was uber reliable. My brother in law has it now and it's still going strong.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

My aunty paid over 55k for a top of the line ghia model,3 years later sold it for 10k.

Parts are dear and labour is usually lengthy,alot of hard to get to stuff in that front end.Dont even get me started on the transmission.engine felt a lively performer tbh.

Run...and when you stop,run some more.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
Link
Ford Nut

FWD V6 are always going to be expensive to fix. 3L V6 are thirsty buggers as well

You can pick them up for the same price as an AU - parts are cheaper , better fuel consumption, looks better (IMO)
Link is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

If it is under 200,000km and has a good service history then it could be okay, don't pay to much though as they are basically a throw away if anything major breaks... Automatic is a known weak spot and the engines do let go, but at least they have timing chains and not belts. They are a pig to fix anything on in the engine bay, so that is the engine auto and driveline. The rest of it is straightfoward enough and just look for parts carefully and they won't be to expensive.

You wont find a better equipped more cmfortable car than thee things, the ride is amazing and refinement is right up there with the modern stuff. Plastics are very good compared to the stories you here...

www.taurusclub.com is the place to go for info... They have a very in depthforum if you have a look...
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
ILoveMyXD
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replies everyone! I kinda thought it wouldn't be a great option, but i had to consider it as i need a car quickly and it's in my price range. I think i'll let it go though, cuz i don't want to be stuffing around with parts and crap. As a single mother, i don't have readily available funds to fix it either if it dies.

Think i'll cross my fingers and hope something better comes along!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are not the best cars, but certainly not as bad as everyone's making them out to be. They were not an expensive car to begin with (unlike the new Taurus), the fuel economy was actually pretty good for a V6, and they run forever. Plenty of other options out there though.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, I was thinking of the older Vulcan V6, not the Duratec.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
snowcone

Look in the "American Fords and Ford Explorer" section on this forum.
There are a couple of guys there with them.
Why, I don't know but anyone with one seems to like em!
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
My aunty paid over 55k for a top of the line ghia model,3 years later sold it for 10k.

Parts are dear and labour is usually lengthy,alot of hard to get to stuff in that front end.Dont even get me started on the transmission.engine felt a lively performer tbh.

Run...and when you stop,run some more.
Complete rubbish. The top of the line Taurus Ghia was $45,450 between 1996-1997, and then dropped to $39,990 in 1998. How on earth do you get a figure of $55k?
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davez621
Complete rubbish. The top of the line Taurus Ghia was $45,450 between 1996-1997, and then dropped to $39,990 in 1998. How on earth do you get a figure of $55k?
Dealer Fit accessories perhaps, plus onroads and taxes and all?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #16
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Dealer Fit accessories perhaps, plus onroads and taxes and all?
The guy is talking rubbish. Assuming she bought it in '97, there's no way it would have sold for $10k in 2000. I was looking for my first car back in 2000 and Tauruses were no where near that low back then. In 2000, someone I knew paid $10,000 for a VP Commodore. That's wind-up windows, no airbags. A Taurus was fully loaded with every creature comfort - no way would it sell for 22% of it's original cost after 3 years. Let me put it another way - show me a 3-year-old 2008 car that cost $55k new, that you can now pick up for $10k.

Last edited by MrZ; 04-07-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #17
ILoveMyXD
Starter Motor

Ok, i have been checking out the thread in the American section and the guy has posed a pretty good question (imo).......do people not like them because they are just different from a regular ford, or is there really truly something terrible about them? I must admit, i'm not in love with the shape of it, but i can't be too picky with the money that i have.
As far as fuel economy goes, i currently have an XF 6cyl which is not that great on fuel, and a V8 XD which is awful on fuel, so the fuel economy is not really that much of a problem to me, i would only be running to and from school and the local shops and stuff.
My other option right now to buy, would be an 88 Laser. The laser is selling for $1500 and the Taurus for $1600, so i'm struggling with which one i should go for and which one will be better off in the long run :-S
Old 05-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

At least if the Laser breaks down you will be able to get parts for it without having to wait 2 weeks postage.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

I have owned a Taurus for 6 years now and have replaced a water pump a fuel pump and ball joints, pretty standard stuff as far as I'm concerned. Has been just as good as my AU for reliability and fuel econ is the same as any other 6cyl car you will come across. Parts are common with plenty of more popular Fords eg the Duratec 3L V6 is fitted to Escape/Tribute and some parts for AU's are interchangeable.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #20
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Thumbs down Re: 1992 Ford Taurus info??

Quote:
Sorry,it was 5 years later.Sold to my other Auntie,check the trade in prices for back then and you will understand why it was sold for 10k.This car was not totally A1 condition either.

Please dont loose any sleep over this,especially on a thread talking about one of the worst cars ever made.

Love your attitude bloke,youll go far in life......keep your rubbish to yourself ya reknaw!

Your figures are way off btw.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #21
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

It depends on what you want, both cars a cheap enough...

If the laser breaks it can be fixed and worked on cheaply,

If the Taurus breaks it is basically a throw away due to how dificult they are to work on. We had one and it was a fantastic car, but when it broke we just had to throw it away... I only lost $400 on it as I sold it for parts, but it just depends on what you want need...
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #22
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry,it was 5 years later.Sold to my other Auntie,check the trade in prices for back then and you will understand why it was sold for 10k.This car was not totally A1 condition either.

Please dont loose any sleep over this,especially on a thread talking about one of the worst cars ever made.

Love your attitude bloke,youll go far in life......keep your rubbish to yourself ya reknaw!

Your figures are way off btw.
Oh right, so your aunt sold it your other aunt. A private sale between two relatives is really indicative of a car's true value, is it? Nothing else entered into the equation? Get real. And if she didn't keep the car in A1 condition, that's her fault, not the car's fault. Who buys a $55k car and neglects it anyway? You and your aunties sound like a bunch of clueless loons.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #23
smally289
growing up is optional

If you want a car that comes with it's own built in hobby, buy a Taurus. You will become an expert at dealing with inferior engineering when fixing the many stupid problems they have. Same with the Explorer and early Mondeos, just plain junk when compared to the local and Japanese built competition out there - Ford and otherwise.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #24
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Oh right, so your aunt sold it your other aunt. A private sale between two relatives is really indicative of a car's true value, is it? Nothing else entered into the equation? Get real. And if she didn't keep the car in A1 condition, that's her fault, not the car's fault. Who buys a $55k car and neglects it anyway? You and your aunties sound like a bunch of clueless loons.
Love it,someone getting all revved up over nothing.You must be,what 16.......

The car wasnt in A1 condition because of the heap of @ h i t s these are(build/quallity) even when driven sedately as my loons have done.

The price of these 2nd hand should be enough for someone with half,no make that a poofteenth of a brain to run.....

They have also hit every branch on the ugly tree whilst falling.

Last edited by FreddyDUZ747; 06-07-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #25
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Love it,someone getting all revved up over nothing.You must be,what 16.......

The car wasnt in A1 condition because of the heap of @ h i t s these are(build/quallity) even when driven sedately as my loons have done.

The price of these 2nd hand should be enough for someone with half,no make that a poofteenth of a brain to run.....

They have also hit every branch on the ugly tree whilst falling.
what sort of person sells a piece of crap car to a relo
should have told your autie to run lol

is it still in your family??
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #26
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Question Re: 1992 Ford Taurus info??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
what sort of person sells a piece of crap car to a relo
should have told your autie to run lol

is it still in your family??
I did everything in my powers to deter her,the biggest problem was it was going tu be used by her son also.This is what killed it in the end basically alolt lot quicker.Something major also happened in the fromt end to the degree that when reversing one day and turning sharply at low speed the bloody whole wheel assembly gave way and tore the whole front left to bits.Car was sold for 5k and imo they were also ripped off.Car is not in family and went to someone to make 1 "apparently" good junk Taurus out of two.

She loved the car and was more than happy with the dud trans and engine mounts cost ontop due to the lower price she paid.This lower price was still excessive imo for the road they were going to go down,the car was going to be driven 30+ thousand kms a year(going by old records)and maintanence/issues were going to be costly.It happened and they said to me we should have listened to you.End of story,they now have a better car,a Aurion and have had over 100,000kms of "trouble free" motoring.Maybe had to put some air in the tires once in a while.No she did not buy it off my other auntie.

Im sure someone in your family has done something you thought was not the best but they were still able to go ahead with it.

Lets not get to worked up or look into this too much as we are at the end of the day talking about a junk Taurus.

I led the donkey to water but it just didnt want to drink.

Now,who wants to know what colour my undies are......
Old 06-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #27
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyXD
Ok, i have been checking out the thread in the American section and the guy has posed a pretty good question (imo).......do people not like them because they are just different from a regular ford, or is there really truly something terrible about them? I must admit, i'm not in love with the shape of it, but i can't be too picky with the money that i have.
As far as fuel economy goes, i currently have an XF 6cyl which is not that great on fuel, and a V8 XD which is awful on fuel, so the fuel economy is not really that much of a problem to me, i would only be running to and from school and the local shops and stuff.
My other option right now to buy, would be an 88 Laser. The laser is selling for $1500 and the Taurus for $1600, so i'm struggling with which one i should go for and which one will be better off in the long run :-S
YOu could be able to pick up an ED or EF in relatively okay nick.

Parts are a plenty... Just makes sure you take someone with you who knows what to look for so you don't buy something that needs fixing straight away. And take it for a good test on some rough roads to let the car give up any secrets.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #28
fairBA
Banned

you could do worse - you could buy a AU.
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #29
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairBA
you could do worse - you could buy a AU.
That's funny... because most people in the know are of the opinion that the AU is the best put together falcon to date.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #30
snowcone

AU and Taurus - both hit with the ugly stick

At some time the Ford engineers and designers were on another planet to the rest of us.
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post