Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Farewell ye ole faithful steed.

After nearly 4 years its time to pass the Mondeo on to the next of kin. My eldest son has now taken position of it as his family car, his wife recently gave birth to their 1st child and the SS Crewman just doesn’t cut it as a family ride. This also gives me the opportunity to choose a new ride so a Golf R will soon find a new home in my driveway for my everyday needs, it ticks all the boxes and there really isn’t anything else around that’s as good for the money. So its bye bye to the XR5 which has been a great car, apart from an early hiccup with the BCM (common problem with the early builds) it’s now done over 95,000 k’s trouble free.

paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Farewell ye ole faithful steed.

At least it's still in the family.

Golf R are a great car. A couple if guys I know have one each. They swear by them.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
stuart

I am also about to give up my MA TDCi SSS sedan in November to my brother as end of lease buy out after 3.5 years. Love to drive it and I was looking forward to the MC as a replacement but my company decided to offer me a job in Germany for three years.
Damn, now I will have to drive on the autobahn at nice speeds!

I have travelled them regularly and on the last trip in June I had an Opel Insignia TDCi after complaining about the Opel Zafira petrol slug they first gave me to drive. The Insignia was OK but a little claustrophobic after driving a Mondy. Got up to 200 km/hr a couple of times near Frankfurt (5-6 lane roads) and it began to feel fast despite only a bit of traffic being around.

Now I have to look for a car within my budget for my three years in Germany. Might have to look for an ex-demo Mondy if possible to keep the feel going.
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #4
mighty-mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
After nearly 4 years its time to pass the Mondeo on to the next of kin. My eldest son has now taken position of it as his family car, his wife recently gave birth to their 1st child and the SS Crewman just doesn’t cut it as a family ride. This also gives me the opportunity to choose a new ride so a Golf R will soon find a new home in my driveway for my everyday needs, it ticks all the boxes and there really isn’t anything else around that’s as good for the money. So its bye bye to the XR5 which has been a great car, apart from an early hiccup with the BCM (common problem with the early builds) it’s now done over 95,000 k’s trouble free.

Sad in one way Paulie......but very excited about that Golf R. As you know I considered it prior to buying the Focus RS. Did you consider the Scirocco at all or was it the awd that tipped it for you??

Mark
mighty-mon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Mackspower

Hey Stuart - you are the land of BMW . . . a nice 4.0 litre 5 series will take your mind off missing the mighty Mondeo !

And sad news paulie0753 but nice it'staying in the family.
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackspower
Hey Stuart - you are the land of BMW . . . a nice 4.0 litre 5 series will take your mind off missing the mighty Mondeo !

And sad news paulie0753 but nice it'staying in the family.
A 4lt Bima would be great but a little out of my pay scale besides they are also taxed heavily due to CO2 emissions - they usually fly by at over 200 klicks pushing everything out of the way. Most drivers are happy to sit around 160 to 180 tops.

Since the Mondy was designed by the Germans it suits the autobahn pace nicely.
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty-mon
Sad in one way Paulie......but very excited about that Golf R. As you know I considered it prior to buying the Focus RS. Did you consider the Scirocco at all or was it the awd that tipped it for you??

Mark
Hay Mark, actually need a 5 door. I’m waiting for the options I want so will be a couple of months away, in the mean time my left leg is getting a work out in the crewman.

Last edited by paulie0735; 15-10-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Golf R arrived last week, took a little longer than I planned because I decided to wait until the MY12 stock arrived in the country as these feature a few things standard that were options on the MY11 cars.

What’s it like? Awesome!!!!! The R takes the Golf to a whole new level, 190kw’s AWD, 6 speed DSG with launch control in a small compact car =’s a 13 second ¼ and loose ya licence speeds in just a few seconds, there is no comparison to the Mondeo, the R just blows the XR5 into the weeds at an embarrassing rate.

VW screw their cars together very well, the fit and finish is excellent and the paint is by the far the best that I have ever seen on any car costing less than $100k.

As good as the Mondeo was (is) the Golf R takes performance and luxury features to a whole new level, its at least 2 or 3 steps above the XR5 which was not shabby just that the VW is so much better. For the record it should be a considerable step up because its around $20k more expensive!!!!!! Worth the extra? Well to me it is but that’s just my opinion. For the record this is the wifes every day driver and I now get the territory to drive every day (I do get the Golf on Fridays though)

Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like the wife got the best end of the deal...

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The back end of those golfs is sexy as!!!

1993 Honda VFR750F
dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VWs are OK. To be honest, I'd planned to get a Skoda Superb wagon to replace my last Mondeo, but the runout deals on the MB Mondeo were just too good.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #12
mighty-mon

Glad you like her mate . Friend dropped round a few weeks ago and he gave me a drive of his .....flappy paddles makes for a whole new experience.

Trust she uses the reversing camera........that log in the background will put a sizeable dent in her rear
Old 11-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
Mackspower

Can't believe it doesn't have keyless operation.
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some models have keyless start but not the R at least not the Australian spec ones
Old 10-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Some models have keyless start but not the R at least not the Australian spec ones
VAG Group cars call this system Kessy, such as the following link; http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technolo...tem-electronic I had this system in my previous Passat Highline and it worked well. Skoda also have made it available in the Supberb. Don't think it has filtered down to the Golf's yet. Shame that! The Golf R is a great piece of kit, I have driven a few and a Scirroco, now that is fun!!!
Old 30-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
mighty-mon

Just moved my MA 2008 on, but.............. 2010 MB with 18,000 clicks on the way. Could not resist as price was too good.