Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
barra265t
Banned

Default What's wrong with VIC drivers

Anybody live out in Vic/Melbourne area and notice that:

a) Driver's forming a convoy in the RIGHT LANE, going below the speed limit (8/10 times its a TOYOTA of some description : )

b) Undertaking (passing on the LHS of a car), always happens. Even the police do it :.

What's the general driving behaviour outside of victoria (the place not to be).

Last edited by barra265t; 23-10-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 23-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
FALCONXTV8
JUST CRUIZEN

It's not just Victoria.ITS EVERYWHERE!!
Old 23-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
SVTVNM
Guzzler

On a run home from Melbourne one day on the Western Freeway I sat in the Left lane on cruise control 110 and passed about 5 cars that were in the right lane doing about 90-95.
Old 23-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

mate it doesn't matter where you are, there's always stupidity going on. i've been to every capital city in the country bar darwin.. they're all mad, just at different levels. Adelaide is mayhem, sydney is bravado ricer idiocy, bris isn't too bad.. tassie, you get disparaging looks just for doing the speed limit, perth is fairly laid back. Melbourne is an acquired skill, but yes there's a lot of right lane low speed hogging going on, which i guess gives birth to the left lane overtaking.
Old 23-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
MAD
Petro-sexual

I always drive in the left lane on Melbourne's freeways, it's heaps quicker.
I think it's most likely because the people in the right lane are all tailgating, then when one brakes the next one brakes a little harder and so on. But over in the left lane the 'slow' folk are driving at a better distance (I would like to say 'safe distance', but its just not the case round here) from the car in front, and this chain of cars copes better with the minor fluctuations of traffic flow.
Old 23-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
b) Undertaking (passing on the LHS of a car),
i thought undertaking was when dead bodies were collected!!

its not illegal to overtake on the left if its a separate lane!
Old 23-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

b) undertaking in Vic is not illegal provided there is a lane to drive in.
Old 23-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's worse when you see 1 car in the right lane with nothing near it - in front or to the left of them - you wonder why they need to be in the right lane at all as the only thing they are overtaking is thin air.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Old 23-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
KITBAG

Do you see these signs on the Victorian roads........................

Last edited by KITBAG; 23-10-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 23-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Recently coming back from geelong there was a patrol car sitting in the right lane of the highway, previous to meeting him a few cars where all sitting on 104ish and for the next 30km's everyone sat back in all three lanes even though the officer was doing a tad under 100 in the right lane. Its was rather funny as no one had the balls to go past him/her on the left.

IMO you can thank the speed camera's along that hwy for this situation. That and trucks lining up in all three lanes.

Add to that everyone is about 1m behind each other all stuck at 100 or below because everyone is to scared of being done for 3kph over.

Huge waste of a decent freeway.

/rant over
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
desGT

I "live" in the left lane, it is the best in Melbourne!!!
Old 23-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
Wally
XP Coupe

Fastest lane on the M1 between Springwood and the Gold Coast is the far left lane. Few use it incase they encounter a slow car, which usually oddly enough travel in the two middle lanes.
Old 23-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Fastest lane on the M1 between Springwood and the Gold Coast is the far left lane. Few use it incase they encounter a slow car, which usually oddly enough travel in the two middle lanes.
Ive noticed that as well, both on that road and also between Newcastle and Sydney when it opens up to three lanes, usually sitting in the far left 2 and zip between them allows me to continue my drive with the cruise control unadjusted.
Old 23-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
Anybody live out in Vic/Melbourne area and notice that:

a) Driver's forming a convoy in the RIGHT LANE, going below the speed limit (8/10 times its a TOYOTA of some description : )

b) Undertaking (passing on the LHS of a car), always happens. Even the police do it :.

What's the general driving behaviour outside of victoria (the place not to be).
I "undertake" cars, simply because it's the only way of getting past the slow-coaches blocking the right lane.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Old 23-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Left lane rules. Too much American TV, people must see them driving on the right and think we must do the same.

F3 freeway in the far left lane - all to myself, cruise on, happy as. Don't know what they all doing on my right but couldn't care less as a pass them all.

Don't know why everyone's wrists are so sore they cannot move them a few cm to put indicators on either - maybe they need to get different 'personal' pursuits?

Why people need to pull out in front of others (generally from a side street), especially when the road is clear behind me beggars belief. I know I got some great new slotted discs and metallic pads on the front, but I have already tested them and rest assured they work fine. No need to help me test further fellow drivers, but thanks anyway!
Old 23-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #16
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I usually holiday in melbourne every year and i always find all the yuppy idiots in BMs and Audis etc sit up ya clacker in the city trying to do 30km over limit and yet out on the open roads drive like old ladies going to church.

Go figure :
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
Old 23-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #17
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

giving melb drivers a spray eh, what about the left lane heroes that block cars in the other lanes making them miss their exit (bolte bridge i am pointing at you)

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 24-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #18
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I don't really have a problem with it to be honest. Unless they're doing like 20 under the speed limit in the RHL then it can't be that annoying can it?
Old 24-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
AdzT3-146
own the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 XF - AU11
Do you see these signs on the Victorian roads........................
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
Old 24-10-2009, 12:43 AM   #20
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I hate drivers who tailgate. I have teed off many a driver by hitting the brakes from 100 to 40 in a matter of seconds. You tailgate you learn!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 24-10-2009, 12:54 AM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
I hate drivers who tailgate. I have teed off many a driver by hitting the brakes from 100 to 40 in a matter of seconds. You tailgate you learn!
Great plan, guess he will learn when someone ends up dead out of it, just hope it isn't you.
Old 24-10-2009, 02:46 AM   #22
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
giving melb drivers a spray eh, what about the left lane heroes that block cars in the other lanes making them miss their exit (bolte bridge i am pointing at you)

Just put your indicator on, after a few seconds if they don't show any courtesy and leave you a gap, start moving across slowly. They'll soon move. Then, always remember to give them a thank you wave once you have merged your way in.
Old 24-10-2009, 03:15 AM   #23
BTTB
Free XD

^anybody else recognise the distinct lack of driver education that's increasing on our roads^
Old 24-10-2009, 04:54 AM   #24
big_mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
It's worse when you see 1 car in the right lane with nothing near it - in front or to the left of them - you wonder why they need to be in the right lane at all as the only thing they are overtaking is thin air.

I drive from Geelong to Melbourne daily and the one I love is when come screaming down the on ramp(no other cars on the road), shoot across all three lanes to get in the right lane then sit there doing 95-100 and wont move over. Funnily enough, there most commodore drivers, too.
Gotta love those AU highbeams....
Old 24-10-2009, 04:57 AM   #25
big_mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=barra265t]Anybody live out in Vic/Melbourne area and notice that:

a) Driver's forming a convoy in the RIGHT LANE, going below the speed limit (8/10 times its a TOYOTA of some description : )/[QUOTE]

And the other 2 seem to be holdens...
Old 24-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #26
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

It's not just the Vics. I was driving up the Windor Road heading into Parammatta yesterday and just as I was about to swing to the right lane to pass a tradey some ricer in a Corrolla roared up past me then slowed to the tradeys speed and sat there for the next couple of minutes till he managed to hold and bank everyone up then hop the next yellow/red light catching everyone at the light. Clearly he thought it was funny, I just wanted to punt him off the road for being a tw@t. I hate city driving........

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 24-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #27
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I havn't driven anywhere in WA, SA or Vic where i havn't encountered idiots, this is an Australian driver problem not just us Mexicans.
Old 24-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #28
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree that it's not just a Mexican problem, I travel a fair bit in Australia and all states have their idiosyncrasies.

I find Perth an interesting place, is there a road rule that states you must at all costs stop someone from changing lanes in front of you? Is there another one that states when arriving at the overtaking lane on a country road, your speed has to increase to at least 130 km/h to stop the car behind overtaking you, but the moment it ends you have to slow to a speed of between 93 to 103 km/h which must vary by this amount every minute?

I've also figured that Sydney would be a great place to host a Grand Prix, all the drivers are busy practicing by driving Taxis around the place.

A little common courtesy would go a long way to solving so many of the traffic issues we suffer from day to day.
Old 24-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #29
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Great plan, guess he will learn when someone ends up dead out of it, just hope it isn't you.
not literally, i probably shoudnt have said that, but i do brake tap to get them off me.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 24-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #30
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i thought undertaking was when dead bodies were collected!!

its not illegal to overtake on the left if its a separate lane!
Yes it is!

Read the rule book!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Closed Thread