Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 15-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
trumpy73

Default Air Con Smell - Where is the Evaporator?

I've been getting a rotten egg smell from the air-con lately (WS) and after doing some research I found out that it could be due to bacteria/fungus etc on the evaporator.

There are several products out there but found one called liquid intelligence that you are supposed to spray down the left centre vent which would coat the evaporator, get rid of the smell and prevent it from coming back for 2 years.

It wasn't the easiest thing to use because despite the very long tube that it comes with, I couldn't really tell whether the product was going into the evaporator or just getting wasted in the vents. Even after spraying the entire can it has made absolutely no difference.

I guess my question is, where exactly is the evaporator and is there a way to access it directly so I can spray this stuff directly onto it rather than down the vents which seems to be hit and miss.

Thanks!!

trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Pursya

Default Re: Air Con Smell - Where is the Evaporator?

Can't find anything specific to the Fiesta.
But here's a vid of a Ford Escape evaporator replacement.
It looks nasty.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=nIfI6...%3DnIfI6G5CtLM
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
trumpy73

Holy sh**!! Cool soundtrack though LOL
Old 29-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
cdafam
Fezvet

Hey man,

How'd it go with the evaporator? When I serviced mine (when it was under warranty) they applied a anti-fungal/anti-bacterial solution (not sure where or how) but it definitely worked (after 2 goes at it - i.e. I had to bring it back because it was still smelling).

But to get to the evaporator, it's a big job (video posted by Pursya is dead now). Removing the air distribution housing, lifting the bulkhead closure plate, sliding the pollen filter plate, etc. So not sure if the average guy like me is up for it. Smell is coming back again (this is after turning off the air-con when set to cold; for some reason when using the de-fogger during winter on warm, no smell can be detected after turning it off)
cdafam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
trumpy73

I found an easy way to get to it directly, as spraying stuff through the vents didn't work.

Just removed the air-con filter behind the centre console and it's there (WS fiesta). I had already used up (wasted) the 'proper' antifungal spray down the vents and didn't want to buy another one (expensive) so I just purchased some glen 20, attached a longish tube to the nozzle, removed the filter and sprayed a whole heap through the filter opening making sure I covered as much as possible. Let it dry for a few mins and that was it.

The car smelled like lavender for a week but eventually wore off which is good. The bad rotten egg smell is no longer there. I may do it once a year. Also these days I always turn off the air-con 5 mins before I get home to dry it out properly.
Old 17-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
BruceT

I'm having the same problem.

I found this brilliant DIY video on replacing the Fiesta WS aircon filter and disinfecting/deodourising the system
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsvJaQdObRc

I've still got to get the parts needed - especially the T15 or T20 Torx bit.
I hope this is useful to someone. I'll also post it on a parallel thread I started before I found this one.

- Jeremy Clarkson on the WS Fiesta Zetec
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post