Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 14-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
curik

Default 1st service aftermath impressions

I just had my zetec serviced at bink's ford footscray with a couple of complaints including:

-Right rear seat squeaking
-A part of the insulation sheet along the firewall comes off

Dropped the car at 9.30am and picked it up at 5. I was told that it would only take 1-2 hrs!!! Well no big deal as I walked away happy knowing that those two issues were rectified satisfactorily...

What I also noticed was they reflashed the ECU. I always had a complaint about the gearbox which sometimes jerk during shifts, failed downshifts smoothly, behaving erratically. But after the reflash I noticed something immediately. The gearbox is now MUCH better, smooth upshift and downshift, good kickdown responsiveness, and feels more connected than before!

Haven't driven much to notice any improvement on economy yet but I will keep posting. Anyway those with autos you guys better book your cars in to get the computer reflashed. I used to curse at the gearbox but not anymore!

curik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
donkeykwong
Starter Motor

Was it expensive? Did you get a loan car?

Last edited by donkeykwong; 14-08-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: found the answer to my question
donkeykwong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykwong
Was it expensive? Did you get a loan car?
First service is Free.

I've started to make a list of things that need looking at to give them for its first service.

I would also recommend the ECU to be updated.
ANGEL#3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
curik

I didn't get a loan car as they told me only 1-2 hrs. To get a loan ar one must book 2-3 days beforehand to secure it.
Old 14-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my ECU reflashed and the fuel consumption improved. I posted about it in June.
Old 15-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curik
I just had my zetec serviced at bink's ford footscray with a couple of complaints including:

What I also noticed was they reflashed the ECU. I always had a complaint about the gearbox which sometimes jerk during shifts, failed downshifts smoothly, behaving erratically. But after the reflash I noticed something immediately. The gearbox is now MUCH better, smooth upshift and downshift, good kickdown responsiveness, and feels more connected than before!
Yeah I have the same concern. Car has now done 2200km's. When I book it in for the 3000km check I will look at getting the same thing done. So was it a "re-flash" or a "firmware upgrade"?
Old 15-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
curik

it says computer upgrade, well to upgrade the firmware the ecu needs to reflashed right?
Old 16-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curik
it says computer upgrade, well to upgrade the firmware the ecu needs to reflashed right?
Not sure on the answer to that...

Its just that if I could go to Ford when I get it serviced and say I want "this upgrade" to fix some issues with the gearbox it would be better than saying "I have some problems with the gearbox, what can you do about it?"
Old 16-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
curik

Well you don't have to mention it at all, it's included by default. It was listed under "recall", so it is something that will be applied to every fiesta
Old 18-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
doctamick

Was this "recall" for the auto only?

I have a manual and had the 3,000km inspection a couple of months ago. There was no mention of an update to the ECU. The only related item that was listed was, "Checked factory computer for outstanding campaigns or recalls." However, an ECU update/reflash/reprogram/etc was NOT listed.
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
Fi.ES.TA

Yes i would like to no this also as this was'nt mentioned on my 3,000k check up the other week.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 01:39 AM   #12
curik

I didn't even mentioned to the service rep at all, it was all written on the paperwork when I dropped the car off. It could be only for autos.
Old 19-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Auto only, for pre August manufactured vehicles IIRC.

Can't wait to get mine services. New engine oil, new transmission oil and hopefully a reflash of the ECU. Not to mention my list can be addressed! HAHA.
Old 20-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

yeah looking forward to mine too!!

will give them some castrol edge sport 5w-30 to put in
Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Ok so dropped of the Fez for the 3000km check up.

As soon as we got talking he mentioned that there is an "upgrade/ECU Flash" that is required. So I said sweet and mentioned that there is a 5L bottle of Castrol Edge Sport in the car which I would like in with an oil change (obviously lol) and a new oil filter.

Picking it up later today, will let you know my thoughts tonight.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
Can't wait to get mine services. New engine oil, new transmission oil (GOOD LUCK IT'S TOP UP ONLY) and hopefully a reflash of the ECU (JUST ASK I CAN'T SEE IT BEING A PROBLEM). Not to mention my list can be addressed! HAHA.
I'll be booking ours in the next couple of weeks.
ANGEL#3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #17
Magenta_
Starter Motor

I'm going to be taking my car for its first service next week and like most people have mentioned the dodgy starts particularly in the mornings, what else could I get them to check/fix/update while my car is there?

What did you get checked when you got your car serviced?
Magenta_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #18
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Black Betty I don't understand what you're trying to say? No one else has had issues doing this so why would I, especially considering I have a decent Ford Dealer?

I've had the last few days off work due to being sick as a dog. Normally I have the sterio pumped up but it was killing my ears and I picked up a bloody annoying rattle in my seat. If I drive over a bump, or readjust my seat or my position it makes a single 'crack' sound. Go over another bump or so on and it does it again. I only weigh 70kg so it's not like my fat *** has broken the seat or anything. Will get it looked at, anyone have similar noises?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #19
BruceT

My Zetec went in for its 3000 km inspection.
Issues:
1) I wanted touch up paint just in case - Ford Australia don't have touch up paint for European cars and suggested I go to an automotive repairer. [Expletive deleted!] Let's hope I don't need it.
2) The distinct "click" when the A/C air compressor starts is normal.
3) They'll order and replace a roof drainage rail (which was not properly seated) and a child organiser, which attaches to back of a front seat (a zipper separated on first use).
4) One wing mirror plastic "neck" was not properly seated on door. It is now.
5) I didn't get a satisfactory answer on the 12% error in the economy guage: "it varies", "they're not accurate"...change the topic.
6) I asked about repairing a small area of cracked clear plastic on the RHS mirror indicator light - 2cm long, 0.5 cm wide - that does not go full depth. That will be $540 for a new wing mirror unit! I asked about cheaper options. He changed the topic again. I wanted to change service manager.

Next time I hope to get a different service manager. Can't Ford get some decent people? The apprentice made it up to me by giving me a generous supply of the washer detergent.
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 05:04 AM   #20
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should be interesting to see what they think about the stone damage up the back once it starts rusting and we need it fixed :p. Not looking forward to that, I'm very suprised they haven't made some stylish rubber protector yet
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #21
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Ok so picked up the car the other day after the 3000km check. I asked them to do an oil change with my supplied oil (castrol edge sport 5W-30). They replaced the oil filter at the same time which I knew I had to pay for. All up it cost me $11.

Have noticed a substantial difference in the Auto like Curik did. I can hardly feel the downshifts now and going from 1st to 2nd is noticeably different. It's like it knows what gear it is meant to be in, where as before sometimes when going over bumps or around corners it had no idea lol

All up I'm am really impressed
Old 18-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #22
msnealo
Zetec with 17's

I want to know how they replaced the gearbox in my car in just 1 hour! :

Just had first service done this morning and it is soooo much better!
msnealo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #23
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

We sent ours for the update only (its only at 1000kms) and it did nothing. the trans still shifts like a tractor and it gets lost when going around coners and you put your foot back in it.

Vision Zetec.

VERY bad move running a synthetic oil in such a new engine. I would NEVER put a super slippery synthetic engine oil in any engine untill it had done at least 5000km.
They run a mineral during break in to help ring seating. I droped my oil at 500km and replaced it with a multigrade 15w 40 (stay away from sm grade) and will run a synthetic after 7,500km.

Go on the mainlube site on here (sponser section) and ask the question you will get the same answer.

A sythetic will not allow your rings to rub down the bores properly as its just too slippery.
3000km is probably alright as most of the ring bed in it done in the first 20 miles but its still not preferred practice.
What you do to your new engine in the first 20 miles are so important its not funny. It will set the tone for ring sealing for the life of the car and will mean the differnce between no power, short engine life and dirty oils from excessive ring blow by compared to maximum HP and super clean internals.

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #24
Fi.ES.TA

This is very worthy info as i would never of known this
not that it effects me on the new fiesta as ive not changed the oil
but will be in 2 weeks time with mobil 1 when i have the 1500km service
but will keep it in mind on other new cars cheers.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #25
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

Take a good look at this.
Its the bible for engine run in.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post