Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-02-2023, 03:56 PM   #1
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Ford Ranger PXII & PXII Electric Steering

{MODS - if possible, please leave this in The Pub, I think it is beneficial for all to see}

My Sept 2016 Ford Ranger PXII has electric power steering (apparently PXI and early PXII's have hydraulic power steering), it needs a new (electric) steering rack as a result of a whoopise. A panel beater is dealing with it, he also has another PX Ranger in his workshop also needing a (electric) steering rack.

The panel beater has ordered 2 from the local Ford dealer and has been told 'they are on back-order'. So I tried for them another source, so I contacted a mate who owns a suspension store. He is able to access after-market hydraulic power steering racks, but not electric as Ford won't provide details. According to the after-market provider Ford are not manufacturing them anymore as required under law, they are required (by law) to supply parts for 10 years after manufacture of a model ceases. I am not sure when the last of the PXIII's rolled off the assembly line in Thailand, but it is not more than 10 years ago

Ford are breaking the law, I have been advised to contact the ACCC and the Ombudsman to lodge an official complaint, apparently there are hundreds of PXII's and PXIII's across Australia waiting on electric steering racks and apparently Ford don't give a shyte, all requests are being met with 'they are on back-order'.

So if you are one waiting for a steering rack or if you know someone who is waiting for a steering rack, lodge a complaint.

As a long time Ford purchaser and supporter this is very disappointing to hear.

I will post up the contact details of where to lodge a complaint

EDIT:
ACCC - https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/c...consumer-issue

Last edited by Trevor 57; 21-02-2023 at 04:08 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 04:00 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Ford Ranger PXII & PXII Electric Steering

I don't think that's actually law about the 10 year supply, it happened with BA/BF front seatbelt assemblies nearly 10 years ago - the supplier closed down and everything just sat on back order for eternity with no updates or information.

I'm still waiting for Jefferson Ford to supply me front passenger side seatbelt on a BF ute I've had on backorder since 2015

From 2015-2017 I'd chase it up and it would still be on backorder and the ETA just kept moving out with no explanation.

It could be a case of NLA from supplier who supplies Ford. It won't be Ford who is the manufacturer it will be part of their supply chain who may not manufacture it anymore.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #3
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The maker of steering racks (in Melbourne) has said it is law, so not 100% sure

He can make them, he currently makes hydraulic steering racks but is being restricted by Ford (and Insurance Companies) from doing so
Old 21-02-2023, 04:19 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
The maker of steering racks (in Melbourne) has said it is law, so not 100% sure

He can make them, he currently makes hydraulic steering racks but is being restricted by Ford (and Insurance Companies) from doing so
I've heard 7/10 years brandied about but I've never actually seen anything in writing that states it, consumer law says 'reasonable amount of time'

Quote:
Under the Australian Consumer Law, certain consumer guarantees apply automatically, including that manufacturers will make repair facilities and spare parts available for a reasonable amount of time.
https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/prod...ot-be-repaired

Whats 'reasonable'? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? When Ford Australia pulled up stumps manufacturing in Australia suddenly a lot of parts went NLA very quickly for the FG/FGX, well before the '7/10 years' everyone throws around occurred.

The law is so open and automotive supply chains are so diverse you could sail the Costa Concordia through it.

No doubt this is a good test, keep us updated on the outcome.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 04:34 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I've heard 7/10 years brandied about but I've never actually seen anything in writing that states it, consumer law says 'reasonable amount of time'

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/prod...ot-be-repaired

Whats 'reasonable'? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? When Ford Australia pulled up stumps manufacturing in Australia suddenly a lot of parts went NLA very quickly for the FG/FGX, well before the '7/10 years' everyone throws around occurred.

The law is so open and automotive supply chains are so diverse you could sail the Costa Concordia through it.

No doubt this is a good test, keep us updated on the outcome.

It's exactly as you say. It's not a law, but an undertaking you could drive a truck through.

And if they are on back-order, doesn't that imply that they are still making them?

So what's the issue here? Supply chain is rooted, everyone knows this.

Buy a second hander if you need to be on the road asap and can't wait.
Old 21-02-2023, 04:55 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's exactly as you say. It's not a law, but an undertaking you could drive a truck through.

And if they are on back-order, doesn't that imply that they are still making them?

So what's the issue here? Supply chain is rooted, everyone knows this.

I think whats happening is the suppler tells Ford that they're not making them anymore and then it takes a while for the information to get down to the spare parts level so all the back orders keep coming in until the official NLA comes in. Or Ford could be searching for an alternative supplier/option and still keeping it open.

Or it could just be supply chain issues, but its more on the fishy scale to me.

I can still buy genuine GM oil/air/fuel filters for my Caprice and its 26 years old, plus a bunch of other genuine parts for it so I guess the 'reasonable time' depends on internal policy.
Old 21-02-2023, 05:04 PM   #7
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think whats happening is the suppler tells Ford that they're not making them anymore and then it takes a while for the information to get down to the spare parts level so all the back orders keep coming in until the official NLA comes in. Or Ford could be searching for an alternative supplier/option and still keeping it open.

I can still buy genuine GM oil/air/fuel filters for my Caprice and its 26 years old, plus a bunch of other genuine parts for it so I guess the 'reasonable time' depends on internal policy.
we are not talking about an old models here, when did they stop making PXIII's?
Old 23-02-2023, 01:36 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

I can still buy a genuine oil filter for an XK Falcon. It means jack because the aftermarket makes them too. They only sell them because they can an easy profit off it.

How are you going buying that Caprice rear garnish?

Manufacturers don't give 2 ****s about old cars, they only want to keep the bits in stock that are easy to get/make and they can make money from.
Old 21-02-2023, 05:00 PM   #9
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not so simple Petal, insurance companies won't allow 2nd steering hand bits, and good luck finding them
Old 21-02-2023, 05:05 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Was the housing cracked, or just a rod end sheared off?
Old 22-02-2023, 09:28 AM   #11
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not so simple Petal, insurance companies won't allow 2nd steering hand bits, and good luck finding them
At the end of the day Trevor it is your car.If you fit a secondhand unit and get back on the road tomorrow or wait til next year to get a backordered newie,that is your decision
Old 21-02-2023, 05:17 PM   #12
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

neither, it is just making a clacking noise where dried steered, which it didn't do prior to the (minor) whoopsie
Old 21-02-2023, 05:54 PM   #13
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am told GM is doing the same with the last of the Holdens too
Old 21-02-2023, 05:57 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I am told GM is doing the same with the last of the Holdens too
They approached me to manufacture some components for their spare parts requirements in Australia recently and as soon as I didn't let them bully me on price and I told them to **** off they packed up shop and made them NLA.

All the OEMs are flogs when it comes to their supply chain, the only one I've had a positive experience with is HSV and even then it was very demanding.

OEMs will make very poor calls then flex on their supply chain with a massive song and dance to fix it, with the suppliers running around with the fire extinguishers while the OEM is sitting around the dining table with the house on fire.

I've talked about some of the truck manufacturers before, one of them I'd get 10+ calls every day, to the point everyone was calling her my wife - 'Hey Franco your wife is on the phone again' this **** went on for 12 months. I couldn't divorce her either

It wouldn't surprise me if something has happened with the steering rack manufacturer and Ford, they could be working on a lag indicator, like lost sales and then suddenly demand massively ramps up for PXII/PXIII steering racks and the supplier can't chase the huge increase in demand. Think supermarkets and toilet paper during lockdowns, thats a classic case of product decisions made on lag indicators causing supply chain issues.

Or poor fill rate from the supplier to Ford, they could be a ****ty supplier that quotes a lead time of X days then they can't fulfill Ford's orders in full and on time (DIFOT).

Usually there's penalties involved in those games, or maybe the supplier discontinued the product - that can be a way to force an OEM to move to something you want to sell them as an alternative. Then it has to go through all the engineering approvals (RIP)

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-02-2023 at 06:09 PM.
Old 21-02-2023, 06:03 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Since its your insurance companies problem tell them them to write it off and go buy a new Ranger
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 07:36 PM   #16
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not going to happen, not enough damage.
Old 21-02-2023, 07:45 PM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deer ford

you should supply my **** box with spare parts 4 eva

cheers

trevva57
Old 21-02-2023, 07:59 PM   #18
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I gots me OEM Ecotec CAS

It's mine

My own

My precious
Old 21-02-2023, 08:08 PM   #19
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
I gots me OEM Ecotec CAS

It's mine

My own

My precious
my heart

my beautiful

my me it

oem
Old 22-02-2023, 06:36 AM   #20
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Smile Re: Ford Ranger PXII & PXII Electric Steering

Surely the insurer can be prevailed upon to approach this with some logic. They can’t (or at least shouldn’t) let you sit with an unknown timeframe. Did the panel beaters jump the gun in good faith, thinking a rack would arrive around the time of completion?

I know insurance and logic are not always bedfellows, have seen twice home insurance claims (roof damage) stuffed around for periods over 12 months while the structure significantly deteriorates.

What about a workaround via the roaming assessor if they’re malleable. Alter the claim to remove the rack (“added in error”) and approve some hidden extra work to the same net value as buying/encoding a used rack?
Old 22-02-2023, 11:47 AM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Not going to happen, not enough damage.

If you cant fix it then yes its a write off.

refer to consumer law, put the pressure back on the insurer.
Old 22-02-2023, 07:05 AM   #22
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for any owner of a 6 year old product which has been selling in the no 2 spot for the past 2 ish or so years to have a supply of parts still available either in the genuine space or aftermarket space..
It’s not like it’s a discontinued model or a bloody LDV
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 24-02-2023, 01:54 PM   #23
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Dont also forget re Holden, Rare Spares have always carried the Aftermarket barrow way way better in Holden parts compared to Ford product barring Xseries and bought out alot or most of the GM spare parts left over inventory before closure, if I recall right they did buy some OE Ford inventory as well 2016 of just before.
For years they have been outsourcing product made in Asia but also had stocks of OE product till sold out.
Bossxr8, mentioning most in demand, maybe not as popular as SS for eg but for years I have mentioned to Rares WHY don't they do more for Tickford specific product lines.
I could go back 10yrs+ mentioning it to them.
Alot is common re decals/badges let alone other consumable lines.

You can find alot of OE spec consumables for the Falcons online as people know but I question why so many people are hell bent it must be OE specifically filters.
That product isn't rocket science, most Aftermarket ones as good or better than OE when buying the known brands.
Ryco for eg, they were OE as we know, does anyone think their current product isn't to the standards they used to produce here for the OE's, ofcourse not, they still have a R&D, test facilities just as their OE days.

Anyway wonder how Trev is going.
It sure is ridiculous not being able to get a rack for a Ranger not even 10yrs old from memory considering how many were sold with the same rack.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2023, 02:32 PM   #24
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Dont also forget re Holden, Rare Spares have always carried the Aftermarket barrow way way better in Holden parts compared to Ford product barring Xseries and bought out alot or most of the GM spare parts left over inventory before closure, if I recall right they did buy some OE Ford inventory as well 2016 of just before.
For years they have been outsourcing product made in Asia but also had stocks of OE product till sold out.
Bossxr8, mentioning most in demand, maybe not as popular as SS for eg but for years I have mentioned to Rares WHY don't they do more for Tickford specific product lines.

You can find alot of OE spec consumables for the Falcons online as people know but I question why so many people are hell bent it must be OE specifically filters.
That product isn't rocket science, most Aftermarket ones as good or better than OE when buying the known brands.
Ryco for eg, they were OE as we know, does anyone think their current product isn't to the standards they used to produce here for the OE's, ofcourse not, they still have a R&D, test facilities just as their OE days.

It sure is ridiculous not being able to get a rack for a Ranger not even 10yrs old from memory considering how many were sold with the same rack.
Yep Rare Spares and GMH goes back along way which also included their involvement with my favourite late 70's hangout, American Auto Parts Homebush. (later Prospect)

I hope Trev gets it sorted soon.

Old 24-02-2023, 03:34 PM   #25
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yep Rare Spares and GMH goes back along way which also included their involvement with my favourite late 70's hangout, American Auto Parts Homebush. (later Prospect)

I hope Trev gets it sorted soon.
yer nice memories used to frequent the place alot as well for business and pleasure.
Pity they sold out but when your shown the money after so long you got to take it.
Lynx Engineering up the road further and then Rocket.

Hey maybe Rares already have Ranger re manufactured steering racks lol......
Rares Recent model Ranger Spares
Sorry Trev.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 24-02-2023, 02:38 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

You aren't the only one asking why Rare Spares aren't doing more Ford stuff. Especially E series onwards. There is a big enough market there surely.

That and I want a new door seal for my NL, and you can't get them new, no one makes them, and second hand ones that aren't torn are hens teeth.
Old 24-02-2023, 02:52 PM   #27
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
You aren't the only one asking why Rare Spares aren't doing more Ford stuff. Especially E series onwards. There is a big enough market there surely.

That and I want a new door seal for my NL, and you can't get them new, no one makes them, and second hand ones that aren't torn are hens teeth.
Don't worry they're getting there.

Old 05-03-2023, 05:16 PM   #28
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Hey twev hows this thread going for ya ?

Old 05-03-2023, 06:08 PM   #29
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Probably already sorted but Check your PDS, pretty sure most have a mention about the claim settling process and timeframe.

Hit the insurer up, tell them you feel the vehicle is unsafe to drive, seeing it cant be fixed in a sufficient time frame because of said part on backorder with no ETA, a Hire car of the same size and towing ability is required until the backordered part arrives and can be fitted.

Or if they are willing to fit a good second hand unit until the new one arrives and can be fitted so you can continue to drive without too much more inconvenience.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:11 PM   #30
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Great answer cheers.

Closed Thread