Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Fairmont dash into Ute

Just wondering if anyone has put an AU fairmont Dash into a AU ute ?

Pulling AU dash out replacing with fairmont dash be ok,just wiring up the sencers ,make computer work correctly be the hardest part ?

If someone has a diagram of the ins and out of the AU dash be great!

Think it be pretty cool in a ute,different

fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Its been done before, there was a ute getting round the ACT that had it in it, I think it had a T2 front as well. Right bugger of a job as it involves changing the entire HVAC controls (and the gear in the dash that makes it work), new BEM, adding climate control sensors and wiring etc. Big job but if you had a wrecked Fairmont and could put them side by side and do the transfer, you'd probably be able to do it.
Old 29-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Its been done before, there was a ute getting round the ACT that had it in it, I think it had a T2 front as well. Right bugger of a job as it involves changing the entire HVAC controls (and the gear in the dash that makes it work), new BEM, adding climate control sensors and wiring etc. Big job but if you had a wrecked Fairmont and could put them side by side and do the transfer, you'd probably be able to do it.
Arh thought someone would of done it,seemed like a good idea at the time lol T2 front and fairmont dash,sounds like a horn Luv to track it down,see some pics of it,if anyone can help.
Old 29-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordon
Just wondering if anyone has put an AU fairmont Dash into a AU ute ?

Pulling AU dash out replacing with fairmont dash be ok,just wiring up the sencers ,make computer work correctly be the hardest part ?

If someone has a diagram of the ins and out of the AU dash be great!

Think it be pretty cool in a ute,different
Another ute owner :

I've considered doing the same to my XR6. Not sure how hard it is. I think 4VMan ( don't quote me on that) has put a fairmont dash into his T3 TE50. One of the T-Series guys anyway.

Be sure to post pics up of the install if you do go ahead and do it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Another ute owner :

I've considered doing the same to my XR6. Not sure how hard it is. I think 4VMan ( don't quote me on that) has put a fairmont dash into his T3 TE50. One of the T-Series guys anyway.

Good one Oh nude one! It was T3man, not 4VMan!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Good one Oh nude one! It was T3man, not 4VMan!
I got the man right :
Old 30-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I got the man right :
You would! LOL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #8
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Another ute owner :

I have given this some thought to. I like the fairmont dash, I was also thing how would the BA dash go into the AU. Fitment would be ok it's just the wiring that would be a pain.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
I have given this some thought to. I like the fairmont dash, I was also thing how would the BA dash go into the AU. Fitment would be ok it's just the wiring that would be a pain.
Theres a idea BA fairmont into AU

I think ill have enough trouble coverting AU to AU

Thanks T3,i also dont live far from the nude one lol so you better look over shoulder both ways :
Old 30-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
T3man
Banned

Oops, should I be worried? I don't live far from "oh nude one". Should I be watching over my shoulder JC?

Anyhow PM has been sent to fordon with what is hopefully helpful info ...
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Oops, should I be worried? I don't live far from "oh nude one". Should I be watching over my shoulder JC?

Anyhow PM has been sent to fordon with what is hopefully helpful info ...
Hey mate, would you mind posting up any info you might have? I've got all the parts handy and waiting, but I'm too scared to attempt it!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Thanks T3,i also dont live far from the nude one lol so you better look over shoulder both ways :
Sounds like party time. I'll bring the wine spritzer, you can get the summer wine.
Old 30-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sounds like party time. I'll bring the wine spritzer, you can get the summer wine.
Sounds like a plan! Think T3 would mind : lol

We can have a day where we all convert our AU falcons to fairmonts,private be there as well :-p
Old 30-12-2007, 03:33 PM   #14
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Sounds like a plan! Think T3 would mind : lol

We can have a day where we all convert our AU falcons to fairmonts,private be there as well :-p
Well actually I took mine one step further and made the TE interior a TL. The Fairlane has slightly different trims and swithes in the centre control panel area.

TS ...

TL ...

Old 30-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #15
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Well actually I took mine one step further and made the TE interior a TL. The Fairlane has slightly different trims and swithes in the centre control panel area.

TS ...

TL ...

Looks good T3,alot of hard work but you got there : What is the difference in the extra buttons bettween fairmont and the ghia dash ?
Old 30-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #16
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

T3 and everyone that wants to add advice

Some basic plans and things to be mindfull about :

I got my xr8 and fairmont.

(1) I take everything out so i can unscrew dash.When unscrew, dash would be just hanging there,this way i be able to view all wires/looms and get a idea what difference is behind the dash of the XR and fairmont.

(1?) Also will tell where the (BEM) is on fairmont as the XR dont have one or is different ?)

(2) I can start disconnect wire looms,maybe even one loom at a time and replace as i go,so swape xr looms with fairmont looms than when fairmont dash goes in they should all connect correctly?

(2?) somewhere on the lines i would have to disconnect airbag.This maybe new topic.Im thinking if disconnect airbag i should be able just use the air bag in fairmont dash with out pulling airbag out? (I no idea on airbags):-p

(3) Take whole dash out,take out heater box from fairmont and put in the XR,just reverse how i took it out of fairmont bolt in XR?
So everything should connect agian with the wire looms ,which were taken from fairmont to connect to XR looms?

(3?) Pulling out heater box,you would disconnect hoses from the engine bay?including the A/C pipes ?

(4) Now put dash back in,make sure all wires are connected and everything fits back in nicely.You probably could turn key on and see if you have power to climate control ?
If all seem to light up well,screw everything in place ?

(thoughts)

So you should'nt have to cut wires? all XR looms should plug into fairmont looms? Only real thing you have to replace or add in the electrics would be the (BEC)?

Pretty much if you do that correctly,you will have full use of the climate control and fairmont goodies ? So if all wire looms are correct and conected ,the XR wiring system can operate full use of a fairmont dash with fairmont wire looms ?

When you pull the dash out,there be alot of wires that wont have nothing to do with the dashboard control ? (eg) fuse box up under the driverside i notice alot of wires,the dash should just pull out from around them ?
When put new dash in,these wires should just go back under and hide ?

Thats my basic summery from what i understand so far!

So feel free to add stuff in the lines to forfill the understanding of this project :

cheers :-)
Old 30-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #17
T3man
Banned

Quote:
What is the difference in the extra buttons bettween fairmont and the ghia dash ?
The TS has three switches in centre panel ... door lock, half-height aerial, and rear demister.

The TL has four switches, the additional one being for fog lights. It also carries the "T" badge in the centre.

The switch surround in the TS is standard charcoal whereas the TL has the "raindrop" pattern which matches the inlay across the top of the dash around and from the Climate Control unit to the pass side door.
Old 30-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #18
T3man
Banned

It is not all that difficult from a purely mechanical point of view but you DO have to have some nouse about working with interiors - things can easily be damaged, left out, or important items overlooked - and if any of that happens you have an EXPENSIVE job sourcing either new parts or spending the time it takes to pull it all apart again.

This is a TIME-EXPENSIVE operation but most people who are mechanically minded can do it over a weekend. However, don't bash yourself about the head if you don't get it done in just one weekend - the important thing is to work through everything slowly and systematically. The MOST important thing is to CAREFULLY observe BOTH systems whilst stripped down to identify ALL the differences and swap the necessary parts accordingly. To this end it is VERY important to ensure the donor vehicle is of the same series as your project car. If you have dis-similar model series you will come up with basic wiring loom differences, and then have will be facing a long-time project under way trying to match everything together.

A couple of things that are a MUST - the instrument panel from the XR/Futura will not work in the Fairmont dash - or I should say SOME features of it won't work. You really need to use the Fairmont cluster. You also MUST use the Fairmont BEM which from memory is the pink one.
Old 30-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #19
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I also beleive that u need something from the doors to make the open/close door lights work on the fairmont dash.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
I also beleive that u need something from the doors to make the open/close door lights work on the fairmont dash.
I have a genuine TS50 Cluster in the ute (complete cluster, not just the fascia), and it has the door ajar indicator. It works on the ute and the BEM is the original one. Not 100% on how its wired up but it definitely works.

I reckon if I had all the bits in front of me and a good manual, Id have a go at the dash conversion. The hardest part would be setting up the aircon hardware - MDC etc is easy cos its all just plug in, it would be bolting it all together that would be the hardest.

T3man, where's yer MOMO steering wheel? Didnt all T Series get em standard?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #21
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
T3man, where's yer MOMO steering wheel? Didnt all T Series get em standard?
The Momo is in the wardrobe in the spare room - all my "special T-Series only" parts are stored away including door trims, floor and boot mats etc. All the bits that can never be replaced.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #22
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been told that the fairmont will have a pink BEM which would need to be put into car putting fairmont dash in to controll climate,as ute would probably have a blue BEM

I Have discover my ute has a pink BEM,im thinking this should be the same as a fairmont BEM.

So means i should be able to plug all fairmont wires in the pink BEM that all ready in ute and wont have any trouble of the car not starting as PCI be same in BEM ?
Old 30-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #23
T3man
Banned

Mine works fine - didn't have to fit anything to the doors. I believe that function is controlled by the BEM. On the TE standard cluster the door open indicators would all light up if any one door was open. With the TS cluster each individual door indicators lights according to which door is open.
Old 30-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #24
sly
Sly like a G6

Probably a good idea to get a workshop manual if attempting this yourself - even then some of the info isn't quite right for this sort of job, for instance the manual will say to remove the steering wheel and upper column (as you do for a full teardown) but you can get away with unbolting the steering column brackets and lowering the wheel to the floor in front of the seat. Saves getting the special tool to take the s/wheel airbag out too.

But unbolting the dash is the last step. You do stuff like unplugging the looms, removing trims & the bonnet pull first. To fully disable the airbags you unplug the crash sensor which is bolted to the floor under the console in front of the shifter, but before getting to that you disconnect the battery for long enough for any capacitors to lose their charge (or pump the brake pedal to hurry them along).

Other things like getting the radio out to get the centre panel off & access to HVAC controls are all gotchas, even then the manual doesn't explain it well, best to get help from someone who's taken a radio out before & knows how the clips work. Then there's stuff like taking the glovebox out to get at other bits.

A lot of the loom connectors are accessed from underneath & the dash is heavy, unbolt it too early & it'll be a PITA to get to the connectors.

Sorry I ramble a bit, it's well past beer o'clock & I be more coherent tomorrow... getting the dash out & back in is painstaking & you need to know the right order to do things... but don't be mislead, it's not difficult.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #25
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can ramble away i need alot of ramble information!

Good advice about steering column,so leave steering wheel on and unbolt brackets holding it so it just drops to floor ?

Airbags is a good topic,so theres a module crash sensor you unplug under middle of dash ? Do you have to remove drivers side air bag to get dash out or can you leave it complate in dash?

I got my radio out and got middle controls out as i was going to paint that plastic around radio and decided it will look cheap and carbon fiber is expensive and decided a fairmont dash would look good lol thats how it started :-p

When unplug wire looms and remove dash i be left with the heater box on passager side.To take this off you would have to dissconnect all hoses and A/C at back of the firewall ? Than unblot box from inside and should come out.
(diagram on this?)

I know it be a pain in the back side thats why i want all information ideas and set a myself a plan and do the job fuss free

thanks for your help. :
Old 31-12-2007, 10:55 PM   #26
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
When unplug wire looms and remove dash i be left with the heater box on passager side.To take this off you would have to dissconnect all hoses and A/C at back of the firewall ? Than unblot box from inside and should come out.
Yes, spot on... but see earlier post about degassing aircon.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 31-12-2007, 10:52 PM   #27
sly
Sly like a G6

I just have a Forte, not sure which drivers side airbag you mean. If you mean the steering wheel one, yes leave it there when you drop the wheel. OTOH my manual says to take out the passenger's one above the glovebox fairly early on. You have to break the clips holding the panel above the glovebox. You'll need a reply from someone who's done this to get the ins and outs of it.

The heater box... yeah. That's why I took my dash out. Paid a workshop hundred$ to change my leaking heater core only to have the new one start leaking after 6 weeks : If you have to change the heater box, you need to drive the car to someone who can degas the aircon before you pull so much out the car is undriveable (or get a mobile aircon service to come to you if too late :sm_headba ). When the dash is back in you get it regassed obviously...

Yeah the crash sensor is bolted to the top of the transmission tunnel, you have to take out the floor console... between the seats... to get to it. Only 4, maybe 6 screws IIRC.

Best advice I can give you is get a manual, around $40-50 will save heaps of headaches on a job like this, I'm sure I don't remember all the ways this job can bite you... Ellery's or Gregory's probably. My Haynes manual was written when AU1 was fresh, has a lot of carry over from EF/EL that is wrong for the AU. If you get a Haynes get a later one written for AU1,2 & 3... assuming they are better.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #28
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check out this one put together by "Ford"...
http://www.trueblueford.com/AUmongrel_by_uteman.html
Not a fan of the yellow though!!
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #29
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey fordon
your PM box is full.
that site is also back up.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #30
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

I have been staring at your avatar for ages because the buldge on the AU with the shaker and tickford sticker looked really familiar, then i realised it was an old forum members car until he sold it, Adam Keen or falkeen, you buy it or just stole the avatar?

Was an awesome looking car.

Cheers
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post