Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Default Petrol saving tips for a run to brissy?

Im heading to brissy on friday from Hervey Bay and was just wondering if theres any precautions i should take to save the most amount of petrol?
Im driving my 3 on the tree XC ute, 4.1 Litre 6 and theres nothing in the tray except for a spare tyre and my new gearbox.

Its a 4 hour run and money is a wee tad tight so im just wondering if there is any additives i should put into the tank and other tips ect.
Ill be running Premium 98 from BP

Cheers

Old 30-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Petrol saving in an XC? Well that could be a bit of a long shot...:P
Anyway, dont mash the pedals, drive smoothly as in slow acceleration and slow braking. Make sure your tyre pressures are correct aswell.
Thats about all i know at the mo but they do make a world of difference.

Premium seems to consume less aswell so thats good. I woulden't know about additives.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
If Julia Gillard was the answer, how stupid was the question?
I like that
made me laugh

But to have a XC economical
Well try to go downhill as often as you can, they were never the most economical beast
No knowing the difference infuel cost up there
but based on Tassy prices
91 unleaded @ 128.9 , say 70 lts = $ 90.23
95 unleaded @ 135.9. say 69.5 lts = $ 94.45
98 Ultimate @ 148.9, say 68.5 lts = $ 101.99

So if you are purely looking at cheapness, still go the 91 or 95
Old 30-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Pump the tyres up higher than normal, say 40psi.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Pump the tyres up higher than normal, say 40psi.
So trading fuel economy for road grip in a car that has very basic braking and handling being driven by an ab initio driver on a road with which he is not familiar is a good thing?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So trading fuel economy for road grip in a car that has very basic braking and handling being driven by an ab initio driver on a road with which he is not familiar is a good thing?
My god are you serious?, Like it would matter between 32psi and 40spi anyway, like you say its not going to stop in a hurry at either pressure.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwilo
money is a wee tad tight
Does not compute

It's a friggin 4.1. It will detonate pretty much whatever you throw at it. Just chuck in whatever fuel. 95 from a cheap place if you've got a bit of pinging.

Oh and 3 on the tree? 80km/h. Aaaaall day long. 80.
Old 30-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah bugger putting 98 in the thing, would make only a minor difference.

Got time to change the diff ratio..hehe

My advice to anyone driving a falcon, or any large car, is dont gun it to the next set of lights. Starting off is what kills heavier cars so try as much as you can to maintain speed.

Oh and keep the windows up!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Also, having your windows up (without air con on) saved fuel - cant imagine its alot.
Also, get rid of extra weight in the boot/cabin that you dont need!
Oh and 95 v 98 - it'll be debatable if you'll save enough km's to outweigh the cost.

Have a fun trip!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really, if you have to worry about fuel, take the train.

I have done that run about a bazillion times in many mnay different cars and in the big picture there is not a lot you can do about how much fuel you use.

Drive like Miss Daisy or Marcos Ambrose, you will still get held up and have to stop and start slow and accelerate all the way.

Just drive south until the sky turns brownish and smells and all the people look unhappy.

Then when you are finished turn around drive north until the sky is blue and everything is wonderful and you will be back.
Old 30-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Really, if you have to worry about fuel, take the train.

I have done that run about a bazillion times in many mnay different cars and in the big picture there is not a lot you can do about how much fuel you use.

Drive like Miss Daisy or Marcos Ambrose, you will still get held up and have to stop and start slow and accelerate all the way.

Just drive south until the sky turns brownish and smells and all the people look unhappy.

Then when you are finished turn around drive north until the sky is blue and everything is wonderful and you will be back.
Gotta take the car cause' im getting the engine rebuilt while im there, pretty much the whole point of the trip hah.

using 91 is horrible for the engine, always has pre ignition and what not. we dont have 95 here in the bay (i dont think so?) so 98 is the option to start the trip off.

And 80k's the whole way?
Ive only ever done very few runs at 100k's and it runs really well, or is that too high of revs for the ol 3OTT?
Old 30-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
Gotta take the car cause' im getting the engine rebuilt while im there, pretty much the whole point of the trip hah.

using 91 is horrible for the engine, always has pre ignition and what not. we dont have 95 here in the bay (i dont think so?) so 98 is the option to start the trip off.

And 80k's the whole way?
Ive only ever done very few runs at 100k's and it runs really well, or is that too high of revs for the ol 3OTT?
There is 95 at both caltex servos (pialba and urangan, bp opposite the copshop (although it is the most expensive petrol in the universe), boat club servo, torquay pub servo and the one out at eli swamp.

98 at bp, shell and caltex pialba.

Don't ruin you car by making it into a hybrid mess. It was designed to run on SUPER and leaving it standard will retain its "collecter" value.
Converting it to ULP, LPG or whatever will just make it and old junker with no value at all.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
He's going to Brisbane Flappy not Sid-en-nee
Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
a little flick of the steering wheel and the trailer wheels will 'accidently' run off the road a bit and shower you with rocks.
Thats called a "Gravel Sandwich"
Old 30-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Is 40psi that high? I always run 38 and ive never had any issues.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
Im heading to brissy on friday from Hervey Bay and was just wondering if theres any precautions i should take to save the most amount of petrol?
Im driving my 3 on the tree XC ute, 4.1 Litre 6 and theres nothing in the tray except for a spare tyre and my new gearbox.

Its a 4 hour run and money is a wee tad tight so im just wondering if there is any additives i should put into the tank and other tips ect.

Cheers
Time it so you don't (if possible) get into a traffic jam ie arrive at peak hour at your destination. A constant cruise is the best for fuel economy and not mention much less wear and tear.
Old 30-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
ryanstev

Put the tail gate down.
Old 30-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstev
Put the tail gate down.
haha, i beleive mythbusters tested this and it was busted.
Car would be designed to be more efficient with it up as thats how its was intended to be.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

why are you having the engine rebuilt if you're looking to save 87c on fuel?

Yes 80k the whole way, for two reasons. At 100k your car has to push a lot harder through the air than at 80.

Trust me, my ye olde commodore with its three speeder much prefers not to be pushed. Keep it at 80 and you might even do less than 15L/100klms!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:45 AM   #19
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
why are you having the engine rebuilt if you're looking to save 87c on fuel?

Yes 80k the whole way, for two reasons. At 100k your car has to push a lot harder through the air than at 80.

Trust me, my ye olde commodore with its three speeder much prefers not to be pushed. Keep it at 80 and you might even do less than 15L/100klms!
actually falcon 6 engines usually get best economy when cruising at between 95 to 105kmh,80kmh the whole way is likely to get him cursed at by everyone and hold traffic up to a point where road rage might become an issue,(except the 30 km section either side of Gympie where 90kmh is the limit now,and as for 3 speed what diff is there between a 4 speed and a 3 speed on Hi-way, they both have a final drive ratio of 1 to 1,
best advice xcwillow is buy your petrol at Maryborough where its 5cents a litre cheaper,with your tyres at around 34-36lbs and drive smoothly in each gear,and leave Hervey Bay after 6am so you dont arrive near Brisbane in peak hour traffic.there you go you just saved probably 8cents a litre with those simple steps and with the added bonus of not ****ingoff every other driver around you,80kmh on Hi-way great advice(NOT)
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #20
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
80kmh the whole way is likely to get him cursed at by everyone and hold traffic up to a point where road rage might become an issue
good point. sometimes it's obvious that people are driving slow to save money. I don't think causing frustration by holding a heap of people up just so that you can save $10 (or less) is a very good idea. I sometimes feel like pulling alongside, tossing $10 in the window and telling them to hurry up.
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove down there on saturday from Bundy, what crap trip! Usual 3hrs to Nambour was ok, then stopped at Beerburrum in traffic for 2 1/2 hours!!! Bloody milk truck fell over! So that dropped my miles/gallon to 12.5,usually at least 16mpg! Joys of driving a 2100kg,440ci 6 pack DINOSAUR!
As for your trip, drive steady and DON'T speed up in the overtaking lanes if your planning on doing 80kph all the way.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #22
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

I got the tauna (seriously how do you spell it?) cover on so drag shouldnt be too much of a problem.

And yeah i get where ya coming from Mr Hardware, 80 it is!
Engine is getting rebuilt just to clean everything up, cant do it here cause i live ina duplex but dads garage has all the tools i need! and i also intent on sprucing up the engine bay to make it look atleast 6.4 times sexier

I just wanted some simple petrol tips because its the first time i've done a big trip like this and im not really concerned about the cost as much as i am the distance i get on the tank.
Old 30-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #23
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tonneau cover*

Slip stream as much as you possibly can, and as much as you'd like to risk stone chips etc. That will make the biggest difference. Just don't tailgate, just sit behind them far enough.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #24
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Find a truck and follow it (stay approx 1.5 car lengths behind). From personal experience the drafting from the truck consistently dropped the instantaneous LPG fuel consumption reading in the BA Turbo from 9.5/L 100km to 7L/100km.

Pretty sure thats why some kinds of birds fly closely in a V formation, to break the wind and save energy if I remember rightly.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #25
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Find a truck and follow it (stay approx 1.5 car lengths behind). From personal experience the drafting from the truck consistently dropped the instantaneous LPG fuel consumption reading in the BA Turbo from 9.5/L 100km to 7L/100km.

Pretty sure thats why some kinds of birds fly closely in a V formation, to break the wind and save energy if I remember rightly.
Slip-streaming FTW.
Also high tyre pressures will help.
And drive SMOOTHLY!
Old 30-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #26
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Slip-streaming FTW.
Also high tyre pressures will help.
And drive SMOOTHLY!
+1 more for slipstreaming. It does work. Just beware you will have to stick to a safe distance and will get some stone chips most likely. Oh and when it comes to hilly areas the trucks often struggle up the hill so you will have to slow down and that will cost you a bit so probably not best to slipstream in this scenario.

I've done a few highway trips recently (all in much newer model cars than yours) but it seemed to make a diff in those cases. A slightly higher tyre pressure than usual may help but i wouldn't go overboard you dont' want a blow out...remember tyre pressures go up quite a few pounds when you are pounding away for hours on the hot asphalt of the highway....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #27
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Look, it does seem logical, but the effort to get out, push, get in sit down, get out push again, would be counter productive.

You simply have to replace that energy in your body rather than the tank. & That usually costs more... I just turn it off when theres a collision. Or maybe Im just lazy... Ive thought about the pro's & cons of doing that myself. But came to the aforementioned conclusion.....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #28
Mr Hardware

XCwillo, even your old petrol slurper wouldn't imbibe more than about about 1.5 litres per hour of idling.
Old 30-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #29
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

LOL I want a vid of this road trip now...
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #30
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
LOL I want a vid of this road trip now...
So doing that now!

As for the vacuum gauge thats a bloody good idea!
I'll see if i can source a cheap one before tommorow arvo
But buying it just for the trip might seem rather ironic, you know, spending $70 to save $4 on petrol hah. But defiantly being taken into consideration, cheers man.

Oh and uterus!
I should deffs sell the car and double me mate on my pushy to brissy
think off the savings!