Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Idiots locking their kids in cars today.

My mum said she saw a news article about the emergency services attending 25 call outs for kids being locked in cars and distressed.

One callout was for 2 very young kids locked in while the old man was in the bottleshop for a whole 10 minutes!!!! (obviously enjoying the air conditioning).

Geesus christ it was 40 something in Melbourne today a locked car would be 50degrees within 10 minutes.

This makes me sick and it would really scare some kids not to be able to get out of the car.

Why ar'nt ther fines and even demerit points being given to these stupid 'so called' parents???

GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Taily

Default Re: Idiots locking their kids in cars today.

Fines and demerit points are too lenient for something so valuable as a child.
Taily is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taily View Post
Fines and demerit points are too lenient for something so valuable as a child.
Tell me about it I got a 2.5 yr old son and he definitely lets you know when he's not happy.....And he can't even talk properly yet!

I just warned the missus bigtime about it because she has lost/locked keys in car a few times.

And he actually locked himself in one warmish day cos he found the central lock button....All windows were up......Luckily RACV wernt to far away!
Old 16-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Tell me about it I got a 2.5 yr old son and he definitely lets you know when he's not happy.....And he can't even talk properly yet!

I just warned the missus bigtime about it because she has lost/locked keys in car a few times.

And he actually locked himself in one warmish day cos he found the central lock button....All windows were up......Luckily RACV wernt to far away!
Am I missing something here, why was your child in the car unattended when he locked himself in?

Easy to blame others but what about your self.

Some times people make bad judgement others don't care.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Am I missing something here, why was your child in the car unattended when he locked himself in?

Easy to blame others but what about your self.

Some times people make bad judgement others don't care.
Mate we learned a big lesson from that morning....He is my first and only child and he had a fascination for playing in the car and pressing all the buttons etc.

We DO NOT let him play in the car anymore!
Old 15-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I wonder where you would stand legally if you bricked the window to get them out.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
I wonder where you would stand legally if you bricked the window to get them out.
Surely they wouldn't fine you for that...geesus wots the world coming too

And that's if you can find a brick or rock or something to break the window before its too late........In a big shopping car park it would be hard to find something.
Old 17-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Surely they wouldn't fine you for that...geesus wots the world coming too

And that's if you can find a brick or rock or something to break the window before its too late........In a big shopping car park it would be hard to find something.
I'd use a wheel brace or jack always in the boot some 4wds come with glass break hammers in the tool kit aswell
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would call for emergency services first (if the child is suffering from heat stress in needs help and fast and unless they are driving past, they are at least a few mins away and a few minuets can be the difference between life and death), and if the child is under obvious heat stress I would give little regard to the law and break the window to save the child.

I wouldn't do any more damage than was necessary to gain access, but, I don't think I would have any hesitation in smashing a window.

I'm not a legal wizz; but I like to think if it were me personally thats what I would do.

That and if the parrents turned up after I smashed the window I would probably want the emregency services people to hold me back form strangeling them

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I would call for emergency services first (if the child is suffering from heat stress in needs help and fast and unless they are driving past, they are at least a few mins away and a few minuets can be the difference between life and death), and if the child is under obvious heat stress I would give little regard to the law and break the window to save the child.

I wouldn't do any more damage than was necessary to gain access, but, I don't think I would have any hesitation in smashing a window.

I'm not a legal wizz; but I like to think if it were me personally thats what I would do.

That and if the parrents turned up after I smashed the window I would probably want the emregency services people to hold me back form strangeling them
This is what I reminded my missus of yesterday is that RACV/ES etc ar'nt always just around the corner especially on a hot hot day. so if the kid is really suffering and even frightened/panicking trying to get out you would just have to do whatever you can to break a window......And if I had a brick I would throw it at the parents when they turn up!
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
i was at bondi westfields doing some work one day and noticed one of those silly little dogs in the car next to me, all windows were up and this dog was going off! so i called security and they told me to break a window.
the hardest decision i had was what tool to use but settled on a lump hammer.

the bloke when he finally got back to his car an hour latter was going off his rocker. nearly hit him with the hammer. poor dog would have been dead.

ill tell you now if it was a child i would have broken window first, then called the cops, then flogged the bloke
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
i was at bondi westfields doing some work one day and noticed one of those silly little dogs in the car next to me, all windows were up and this dog was going off! so i called security and they told me to break a window.

the bloke when he finally got back to his car an hour latter was going off his rocker. nearly hit him with the hammer. poor dog would have been dead.

ill tell you now if it was a child i would have broken window first, then called the cops, then flogged the bloke
Yep nice one! 1 hour FFS! I seriously cannot believe the stupidity, dogs or kids....
Old 16-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post

Most State and Territory criminal legislation contains provisions about carrying out an illegal act in order to prevent a more serious offence occurring. Or in this case, carrying out an “act” (like smashing someone’s window, which would otherwise be classified as criminal damage) to prevent injury, loss of life, or in an emergency situation like rescuing a child from a hot, locked car. In short, if it can be seen that you smashed the window in good faith (i.e. save the kid from dying), then you’ve got a defence to being sued or prosecuted by the muppet whose window you broke.

Police (dunno about Ambos and Firies) have an additional protection in specific legislation for Police and emergency services that says words to the effect, in the line of duty, they can break someone else’s property in the event of an emergency.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Most State and Territory criminal legislation contains provisions about carrying out an illegal act in order to prevent a more serious offence occurring. Or in this case, carrying out an “act” (like smashing someone’s window, which would otherwise be classified as criminal damage) to prevent injury, loss of life, or in an emergency situation like rescuing a child from a hot, locked car. In short, if it can be seen that you smashed the window in good faith (i.e. save the kid from dying), then you’ve got a defence to being sued or prosecuted by the muppet whose window you broke.

Police (dunno about Ambos and Firies) have an additional protection in specific legislation for Police and emergency services that says words to the effect, in the line of duty, they can break someone else’s property in the event of an emergency.
Here's one state government's info pack on what you should avoid, why and what you can do if you see this:

http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/docs.../kids_cars.pdf
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not 1 but 25. That is a very very disturbing picture of how some parents can be so negligent.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #16
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Good mate of mine's a Fiery...
Unwritten rule amongst them when they get called to these situations, is to "jaws of life" the B pillar to access locked in kids.
Apparently, the vehicle is then a "write off"
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #17
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Unwritten rule amongst them when they get called to these situations, is to "jaws of life" the B pillar to access locked in kids.
Blood oath and I hope the fool that left the kids in the car is uninsured as well!!.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #18
cal0006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
That's actually great. I'm all for that little bit of intentionally driven karma to teach knobs a lesson.

Does anyone know the legal standpoint when it comes to breaking into a car to save a child or animal (and whether it differs between the two)? Because technically you're breaking in.
cal0006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #19
superyob
Banned

Adults would not lock themselves in a hot car yet think nothing of it when it comes to their kids...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 01:35 AM   #20
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Adults would not lock themselves in a hot car yet think nothing of it when it comes to their kids...
don't bet on it.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...108-30hde.html

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 03:58 AM   #21
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
Interesting article, you would think these cars with all the gadgets would have a manual override system.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #22
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Interesting article, you would think these cars with all the gadgets would have a manual override system.
They do don't they....? The keypad has a regular key inside it that you can use to start it...?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #23
HELLOYOU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw it again myself today.
HELLOYOU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #24
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sounds like you're describing a full side removal.

Before you pop the front door, you need to bust the glass windows (effectively releasing the child), then you need to remove the rear door before you can cut the B pillar.

No IC would let them do it.

Last edited by usernametaken; 15-01-2014 at 10:13 PM.
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #25
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I couldn't believe this myself when I saw it on the news. The numbers are just unbelievable!

There really needs to be seriously harsh penalties for people who leave kids and/or animals locked in cars on hot days.

Cheers
Col
Old 15-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #26
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely they would just use an axe on which ever window will do the least damgage to kid/s?

Mind you breaking a curved window can take some effort!
Old 15-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #27
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I think smashing a window, leads to glass shattering inside the car, and could hit those inside.
Old 15-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #28
Fab
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have kids of my own, but everytime i hear this sort of stuff on the news, it infuriates me.
Penalties aren't harsh enough.
Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #29
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't believe in this day and age such stupidity still exists
a - holes the lot of them
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #30
Struggo

If you are ever in dire need and close to home/shop, use broken porcelain from an old/spare/new spark plug.

The glass will shatter with ease.
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post