Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Tracer
Starter Motor

Default Clicking and Clunking noises

Well been a while since i've been on here but strait to business.

Had the LS focus about 9 months now and havn't had any problems with it except it makes 2 noises a clunking and a clicking.

Usually when you release the clutch after taking off or breaking, often you'll hear a kind of metallic clunk. Sometimes its soft other times it quite audible. Sometimes it will happen while driving and not touching the clutch but usually only happens after you let it out. Coming from the front of the car in the middle to the right side it seems to be in different places sometimes but the same general area.

2nd you'll also often hear a clicking sound that sounds like a plastic type of click (not a clunk like the other it's distinctly different) when you press the break down. It's coming from the right wheel.

Anyway when i put it in for its 15km service I told them about both the sounds and at the end of the day they said they wern't sure as they've never had a problem like that before but they think the right engine mount might be getting knocked or something so ordered one and off i went.

A week later take it in and get it changed but the problem still exists so he says they're pretty sure now that its the cv joint so they're ordered a new shaft and see how that goes.

Anyway seeing the clicking sound is when applying the break and not when turning is it likely to be the cv joint? And could it account for the different metallic sounding clunk as well?

Just hoping this doesn't turn into one of those episodes where your taking it in every week for 6 months and still have the problem.

On the plus side the service ppl have been really good about it and the actual service only cost me $220 while i was expecting a bit more and that they arn't trying to scam me out of a labor cost every time they look at the car :P

Okay did some more googling on cv's and seems thats prob def the clunking sound when letting off the clutch. Will have to check and see if it clicks while turning as well as breaking too.

Does seem odd to be wear on the cv so soon though as it's been doing it for quite a while (the clunking anyway) but I guess i was just too use to old bombs and figured it was just the sound of the gear box like it was in those cars :P

Last edited by Tracer; 06-02-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post