Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 07-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Default Tyre placard

Do EL XR's have a different tyre placard or is just the standard one ? because mine only has the one saying i only have 15" rim standard is this right or do i have the wrong and the main reason im asking is because i want bigger rims than 17"

thanks baya

MOD'S
Herrod Extractors & Redback exhaust
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Successful Trades with:BradensEBxr6, snypereb, EDXR6T, ORSMF6
Old 07-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

Many EF-EL XRs hadnt been optioned up to the 16" FTR Rim 15s were standard so id be guessing thats why ya have that sticker

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudgE^SIKBRO
Many EF-EL XRs hadnt been optioned up to the 16" FTR Rim 15s were standard so id be guessing thats why ya have that sticker
Do ya think if i could find one which has been optioned with 16" rims and get the placard so i can go to 19" rims legaly ? Because as far as i know you can go up 2 size's without being defected ?

thanks Nudge

MOD'S
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Last edited by BaYa; 08-08-2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: size change in rim
BaYa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #4
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Not that i am condoning this... But you can get a tyre placard from ford, for an ELGT . they come std with 17x8.5's mate..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 12:18 AM   #5
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Not that i am condoning this... But you can get a tyre placard from ford, for an ELGT . they come std with 17x8.5's mate..
Thank you very much might have to try and acquire one. If i can't get it then no rims cause instant defect and Insurance void : and i don't want that

MOD'S
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Old 08-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaYa
Thank you very much might have to try and acquire one. If i can't get it then no rims cause instant defect and Insurance void : and i don't want that
you know what man, the plackards dont generally say what car it is that your driving but they do have a ford badge on them i think and the load limits, get a BA plackard that was stock with 18's. Inless you get pulled over by a cop who has an issue with your wheels and size and knows what hes talking about, the BA plackard will pass you fine

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaYa
Do ya think if i could find one which has been optioned with 16" rims and get the placard so i can go to 19" rims legaly ? Because as far as i know you can go up 2 size's without being defected ?

thanks Nudge
yes 2 sizes....19" legally.... hmmm...

16 + 2 = 18

i feel like i should be wearing a big purple dinosoar suit in front of a pile of kids telling them how to count

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 08-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
BaYa
Just Cruzing

lol, yes i know currently my placard say's 15" and i have 17" rims but wanting to go to 19" i need one saying 17" standard im goin to go to ford to see if i can get an el gt 1 otherwise i may do a dodgy and get a placard of say a au xr.
otherwise ill just bite the bullet and do it or not.

MOD'S
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Old 08-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

there is no issue with the overall size of the tyres, it's got to do with the width. That's the only thing that will void your insurance. But the rule is, if you go up in size, you usually go up in width as well.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive been chasing this for a little while myself and just got a BA xr one which says 17 or 18, dosnt say the specific size that the car came out with. wonder if i'd get away with 20's then hehehehe

Current
Previous

Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #11
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Its not going to matter nothing at the end of the day, your insurance company will either insure you or tell you to go away, you can still get defected regardless of what tyre placard you chose to put on the car, you will then have to prove the tyre placard belongs to the car and that the rims you claim were actually an option for your car.

So trying to cheat the law will only get you in trouble, and on top that is not far from fraud if you really think about it. So make your decision wisely you may end up regreting it.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think when it comes to insuring your car, if you give false or misleading information, you'll end up in some serious trouble. I also don't think putting a new placard on the car will help when the VIN will not be the same.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
there is no issue with the overall size of the tyres, it's got to do with the width. That's the only thing that will void your insurance. But the rule is, if you go up in size, you usually go up in width as well.

Not quite right that statement...

When you go up in rim size you go down it in sidewall height to keep the overall diameter the same, width of the tyre doesn't necessarily have to increase but in most case will up too an inch. So long as the Load and Speed rating match or exceed the orginal limits set by the manufacture then its all good. Bear in mind that here in QLD you can increase the overall diameter plus 26mm or decrease to minus 12mm from the orginal and still be in limits set by the department of transport, but double check with the RTA? or your relevant body in VIC.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #14
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Good point EA2BA
Bucknaked didn't think about the vin guess i can't really win.
Good idea bundy ill try asking vicroads, i will post up my results when i get them.

thanks baya

MOD'S
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #15
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Have a look at the info on the Vicroads site - specifically the vehicle standards information sheet on general modifications link which has a section dealing with wheels & tyres.

As mentioned above, rim diameter is not mentioned, only overall diameter. I think as standard EL placard would have 15x7 as one of the rims sizes so you will be ok with an 8" rim width. Bundy you are right about width not necessarily being tied to diameter but most likely "narrow" <225 width 19" tyres wouldn't have the required load rating (and perhaps not all 225s too).
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #16
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Have a look at the info on the Vicroads site - specifically the vehicle standards information sheet on general modifications link which has a section dealing with wheels & tyres.

As mentioned above, rim diameter is not mentioned, only overall diameter. I think as standard EL placard would have 15x7 as one of the rims sizes so you will be ok with an 8" rim width. Bundy you are right about width not necessarily being tied to diameter but most likely "narrow" <225 width 19" tyres wouldn't have the required load rating (and perhaps not all 225s too).
so i can have 19's ?

MOD'S
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Last edited by BaYa; 10-08-2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo
BaYa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post