Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
calvey
Starter Motor

Default Tickford 6 or V8

Hi , I'm currently looking at buying a fairmont, two choice's I'm looking at, both identical outside and inside. Full spec Ghia's.

1st one... ef V8 auto...

2nd one... el 6cyl xr6 motor...

love that v8 growl, but the six would be so tempting too!!

Any ideas,,, help

calvey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

I had an EL ghia, with the tickford 6 and it was pretty fricken good. Made more power than most 8's, and was good on fuel. But......

The amount of times I wish I had an 8 was annoying. Plus the Ghia is no rocket, so if I had the choice again I would have gone with the 8.

Just keep it looking nice, lower it, nice exhaust and you have a winner.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Maximus
ED XR6

Yeah, I agree, when I think Ghia i think V8.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Clarke AV
OzECruisers Treasurer

I think v8 too
Clarke AV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can't go past the V8,

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
Citizen
My other car is a car

Hmmm personally I'd get the 6. The Tickford Six has 164kw, the Windsor 8 in the Fairmont makes 165kw.

No arguing the V8 sounds better but that's basically where the advantages stop, if you're just looking for a daily driver. The V8 will be horrible on fuel, parts are more expensive, insurance more expensive.

Also its an EL six compared to an EF 8, so you've got all those little changes that were in the EL, as well as it being a newer car.

EA Fairmont Ghia 5sp Manual

Dual Fuel
Extractors & 2.5" Cat-back exhaust
Herrod stage 2 cam
XH snorkel, K&N panel filter

Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen
Hmmm personally I'd get the 6. The Tickford Six has 164kw, the Windsor 8 in the Fairmont makes 165kw.

No arguing the V8 sounds better but that's basically where the advantages stop, if you're just looking for a daily driver. The V8 will be horrible on fuel, parts are more expensive, insurance more expensive.

Also its an EL six compared to an EF 8, so you've got all those little changes that were in the EL, as well as it being a newer car.
I agree with you to a point, but the 8's generally aren't that much worse thanthe 6's on fuel.

At the end of the day, just depends what you're after.

If you just want a nice car with a few mods, then I personally would go the 8. If you're planning on turbo etc, then go the 6 as turbo kits are readily available and relatively affordable.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen
The V8 will be horrible on fuel.
That's not true. I've owned 4 litre and 5 litre e series cars and the V8 isn't remarkably more thirsty than the I6.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd get the EL 6, and then buy the spare V8 running gear from private9 and have that installed. Having owned an EB2, EF and now EL, the EL is more refined on the road - not many huge changes,but enough to matter (thinks like thicker window glass, extra sound proofing, etc.)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 01:06 AM   #10
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

If u buy the V8 ul never regret it, u buy the 6 then ul always wonder what if...?
Ive gone from 3 i6's now to a V8, there is no noticable petrol difference unless u always plant the foot with the V8.
And the V8 has alot of potential in N/A form!
The i6 is a SLUG!!!!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 01:16 AM   #11
t2te50
Banned

Can't go past a good 5L. Litterally indestructable and a hot 6 is the performane equal of a relatively stock 5L.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 01:42 AM   #12
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does the economy include head gaskets??

The 6 is a great motor and the 8 in standard form is bulletproof with alot of potential.

I'd be going the 8 over the 6.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 02:14 AM   #13
98elxr6

personally id go the 6 its quicker than the 8, but then ive got a tickford 6 the only thing that i wish my 6 had is the v8 sound other than that the 6 is spot on. The 6s go hard when they have the full tickford running gear .i wouldnt change mine for a 5 litre just for a good note and havent ever regretted buying the 6 .
98elxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 AM   #14
t2te50
Banned

Put my 220kw motor in your xr6 and you'll be shooting for 13.5's. Look at the time mate and yes it weghs 1700kg not 1520kg like your EL. No hair dryer, no go I say.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #15
calvey
Starter Motor

whow guys thanks for all the feedback, taking them both out for a test drive today.
will let you guys know how I get on... those ghia's sure are plush,, stuff havin some jappa..

cheers NZ cousin
Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #16
Rob
Living the dream

Stock windsors are slugs.... breathless, slow revving slugs. But the same is true for a stock I6 EA-ED, that clutch fan... :togo:

Depends on what you want mate. I6's are just as fun as V8's. I've had both, and at the moment, I'm having more fun in my manual ED 6 than I was in my VT GTS. Its not about how fast you go, its how much fun you have doing it!

The windsor can be a really tough motor if you throw lots of moolah at it, and they sound horn! I6's sound really good at 6,000rpm too :evil3:
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #17
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'd get the EL 6, and then buy the spare V8 running gear from private9 and have that installed. Having owned an EB2, EF and now EL, the EL is more refined on the road - not many huge changes,but enough to matter (thinks like thicker window glass, extra sound proofing, etc.)
100% agreed JC. I too have had an EF followed by an EL, and although the EF was an immaculate 1 owner car, and the EL was a fairly thrashed and hacked POS, the EL was overall a more refined car - quieter, better handling, a little smoother in the engine department etc etc.

Oh and yeah, and JC's right - buy my V8 running gear/driveline, it's dirt cheap!

Shameless self promotion!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #18
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

buy the 6, and then steal the engine from the 8, and replace the 6's engine.
WIN
Old 11-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #19
sexr6tasy
Banned

It depends what your looking at doing mate sure a stock 8 vs a stock 6 aint gonna chew much petrol difference but if your looking at doing it up theres gonna be a big difference in petrol use. Also are you thinking of turboing it later on or supercharging it both engines require both different things for cheapish power. Also if your planning on keeping it stock an elxr6 motor should beat the ef v8 to 100kmhs anyway. And as others have said if money is your main prioritie the 6 will be cheaper to register and insure.
sexr6tasy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #20
3.9from hell
hoons cause global warmin

its all about what note u want mate, theres performance to b had from both, fuel comsumptions pretty similar, the i6 mite be a lil quicker as a stocker but realy it doesnt take much to make either quicker, i6 is easier to go forced induction in the future if thats a consideration? the 8 is a lil heavier 2 but not much, are you thinking bout modding it?
3.9from hell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #21
calvey
Starter Motor

HI all, I drove both cars today and have decided to buy the,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 6. found the preformance about the same but the EL was just a bit nicer all round, quite mint. Beautiful cars to drive, cant wait to pick her up. The first good drive will be from Christchurch to Picton, those who know NZ roads know this can be an awesome drive,,,Hills,,strights,,bends,,pubs and takes about 5 hours, cant wait!! What are the turbo kits like, need many engine mods? ECU come with them, havin seen much in the way of kits in nz?
Thanks for all your coments

cheers
Old 12-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #22
3.9from hell
hoons cause global warmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvey
HI all, I drove both cars today and have decided to buy the,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 6. found the preformance about the same but the EL was just a bit nicer all round, quite mint. Beautiful cars to drive, cant wait to pick her up. The first good drive will be from Christchurch to Picton, those who know NZ roads know this can be an awesome drive,,,Hills,,strights,,bends,,pubs and takes about 5 hours, cant wait!! What are the turbo kits like, need many engine mods? ECU come with them, havin seen much in the way of kits in nz?
Thanks for all your coments

cheers
turbo kits are as simple or complex as u wana make em, heaps of ppl hav gone with a low psi, standard internals, standard ecu setup with good results, im curently isntalling one on my el
3.9from hell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #23
BEN189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had this same dilemma a few weeks ago when I bought my car. I had the choice of an EL Ghia I6 or a V8. Took both for a test drive and the V8 just had me smiling more. I am very glad I chose the V8, it sounds great, is good on fuel (if driven sensibly) and is fairly quick.
But now I can see that you bought the I6. I hope you enjoy it, congrats.

350rwkw with Rapid cooler, Herrod CAI, Deka 80lb injectors, full xforce 3.5" exhaust, actuator.
BEN189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post