Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-12-2005, 11:12 AM   #31
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

hahaha thats classic. i got highbeamed on the narromine straight a fair while ago buy some turak tractor.....had to actually stop and pull over, so i flashed back...only thing is i run 280watts of HID : : :
he dipped
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #32
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit
hahaha thats classic. i got highbeamed on the narromine straight a fair while ago buy some turak tractor.....had to actually stop and pull over, so i flashed back...only thing is i run 280watts of HID : : :
he dipped
ol:

i passed my dad going the opposite way one night. he flashed me, so i flashed back. not realising it was him. then the phone call i got straight after, "jesus those lights are bright, damn, you sure they are road legal blah blah" he's just jealous
Old 10-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #33
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit
he dipped
I am only running 35w of HID (mind you that's about 3 times brighter than 100w halogen ... hee hee) ... but I have these lights mounted on a nudge bar on the front of the ute. They are only 100w each ... but light up the road for a kilometre or 2 ... hee hee
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #34
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

have you got a pic of your set up?
Do you have any air flow issues?
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #35
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I can't see any airflow issues really.
I haven't got a pic of it yet ... just got installed the other day.
Will post pics soon when i take a photos of it.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #36
boodek
Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Using a higher wattage in these headlights (or any for that matter) only results in overloading/overheating the electrical system & burning of the reflector surface.
Nonsense. These Hella lights have been around for years, fitted to various cars (HZ Kingswoods and Premiers come to mind) and are quite capable of coping with much higher wattage globes and voltages. I once had a 1978 Galant with 4 of the smaller 5 1/2" lights fitted - 2 high/low beam and 2 high, and the worked alternator was putting out around 15v, driving 100w highs and 90w lows. There was no sign of damage at all to the lights. That's the beauty of glass lenses and metal reflectors! The larger 7" lights will happily run 130w high beams.
boodek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #37
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

I'm told only AU XRs have metal reflectors. The regular ones are a form of plastic and from experience, the coating will fade even if exposed to enough heat from normal long highway drives at night. Higher wattage or blue-tinted globes will only speed up this process.

In itself this is something of an argument in favour of HIDs, which presumably run much cooler.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 11:25 PM   #38
boodek
Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouty
I'm told only AU XRs have metal reflectors. The regular ones are a form of plastic and from experience, the coating will fade even if exposed to enough heat from normal long highway drives at night. Higher wattage or blue-tinted globes will only speed up this process.

In itself this is something of an argument in favour of HIDs, which presumably run much cooler.
Yep, I'm referring to the XR lights - I wouldn't trust the standard lights with higher wattage globes.
boodek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 01:42 AM   #39
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok so what lights do AU fairlanes run?
it LOOKS like an XR light but with a different "cover" on the front
as 1 is big and the other is a little smaller

are they H1 or H4 or what??

can HID conversion fit into the fairlane lights?
will they do high and low or just low??
would be nice to have some CRAZY BRIGHT high beams being that they are a separate globe

thanks guys
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 02:22 AM   #40
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodek
Nonsense. These Hella lights have been around for years, fitted to various cars (HZ Kingswoods and Premiers come to mind) and are quite capable of coping with much higher wattage globes and voltages. I once had a 1978 Galant with 4 of the smaller 5 1/2" lights fitted - 2 high/low beam and 2 high, and the worked alternator was putting out around 15v, driving 100w highs and 90w lows. There was no sign of damage at all to the lights. That's the beauty of glass lenses and metal reflectors! The larger 7" lights will happily run 130w high beams.
So could I put a 130W globe in my high beems of my XR and not have any trouble?
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #41
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodek
Most misinformed comments I've read in quite a while, that's like saying, the XF was/is as good a car as the BF.......the AUXR headlight might look similar to the "HZ kingswood" (because it's round lol) but that's where the similarity ends!!! My advice is to conduct a "thread search", find out what the affects of running "130 w" bulbs are.......or better yet.....drop in some time so I can show you an AUXR & a 7" 1970's insert & compare them. I've got a good supply of dead headlights with major internal damage from people who thought it was ok to run higher wattage bulbs only to find the output diminish in a very short space of time due to excessive heat build up, not to mention the legality. If you have an AUXR, then go ahead & install these higher watt bulbs.......to advise anyone else to do so based on a what you had in your 1970's Galant with a "worked alternator" is pure stupidity........
:
Old 12-12-2005, 10:21 AM   #42
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
would be nice to have some CRAZY BRIGHT high beams being that they are a separate globe

thanks guys
I cannot comment on the similarity between Fairlane/XR lights, BUT..

Your biggest concern with running HID high beams is that you would not be able to flash your headlamps. HIDs generally need to be on for a few seconds at a time at a mininum to avoid damage. In all honesty I don't know how full HID cars like the 7 Series get past this issue.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #43
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ok so what lights do AU fairlanes run?
it LOOKS like an XR light but with a different "cover" on the front
as 1 is big and the other is a little smaller are they H1 or H4 or what??
AU F/L use 2 x H7 whereas the AUXR is H4 high/low & H1 high.
Old 13-12-2005, 04:16 AM   #44
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers dok

ok next question

my left low beam light seems to have STOPPED emitting a BEAM onto the wall when i park infront of it
and when you look at the car from the front with low beam on the offending light does NOT reflect from ALL OVER(it isnt ALL white and blinding(compared to the other light.. the top 1/2 is dull and flat from memory).. the guy at ford rekoned its probably dirty on the inside but i think otherwise as all other lights are perfect..

cheers guys
Old 13-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #45
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
cheers dok

ok next question

my left low beam light seems to have STOPPED emitting a BEAM onto the wall when i park infront of it
and when you look at the car from the front with low beam on the offending light does NOT reflect from ALL OVER(it isnt ALL white and blinding(compared to the other light.. the top 1/2 is dull and flat from memory).. the guy at ford rekoned its probably dirty on the inside but i think otherwise as all other lights are perfect..

cheers guys
Hard to diagnose without actually seeing the vehicle.....from my experience though, the AU Fairlane/LTD do have a moisture problem, especially the LH (manufacturing fault) so this is the most likely cause. Might pay to replace the bulb to see if it improves, if it does not, then I'm inclined to agree with the guy at Ford, as moisture leads to dirt/dust collection. Also, a HID conversion would be pointless as the light has to pass through the diffuser lens on the Fairlane thus negating any gains made.
Old 13-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #46
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers for the help buddy
Old 14-12-2005, 09:12 PM   #47
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouty
I cannot comment on the similarity between Fairlane/XR lights, BUT..

Your biggest concern with running HID high beams is that you would not be able to flash your headlamps. HIDs generally need to be on for a few seconds at a time at a mininum to avoid damage. In all honesty I don't know how full HID cars like the 7 Series get past this issue.
In the BMWs they use halogen for the seperate high beam light ... but the outer set of headlights they have a D2S (I think from memory) xenon globe ... and a shield they flicks out of the way in the projector housing to allow high beam to work. So it is in actual fact one globe ... the internals of the projector allow the beam to change ... when the shield is back in place (after lights are dipped) ... it goes back to low beam again.

Same for Honda S2000/Euro/MDX/NSX ... etc

Also other Euros have this set up.

I am about to get this setup from the US for about $300US ... complete with the projectors with the switchable shield (can reverse for RHD vehicles) ... everything in the kit as well.

So i will be taking my JSM aftermarket HID kit out ... and modifying my lights to accommodate the HID Projectors.

Also all Euro cars have passed ADRs ... so they are allowed to have it (as long as it is fitted from factory ... all other cars that don't have the system fitted from factory (standard or as an option) is still illegal to use on the roads.

It depends on the mood of the Police officer at the time when they pull you over.

If setup correctly though ... I am sure you could get it engineered though.
Old 15-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #48
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyQLD
according to Philips the Crystal vision is not approved for road use! has anyone ever had any trouble?

What type are the highbeems in the AU? H1 or H7?
i bought a set of crytal visions for my XR they were costly $100 and they are only garranted for 500hrs considering i drive with lights on everytime i get in the car its aint much i only had then for 4 mths and 1 crapped itself i ended up gettin a replacement set but i wont be buying another set thought but they are very good though produce heaps of light over a wide spread (maybe enhanced cause of the XR style light set up) worked well headlight covers on or off wat kinda life should u expect from a set of headlight globes Dok?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #49
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00VenomXR
wat kinda life should u expect from a set of headlight globes Dok?
There is no hard & fast rule regarding headlight globe life, so many parameters come into play, ie: heat displacement within the headlight for starters, having said that, 500 hours is not a bad lifespan, it's brand dependant really, but for my money, Philips have the best reputation/value for money with say......Narva a long way behind, Ford use a combination of Philips/Narva so I guess they have faith in their reliability. Here is a list (in no particular order,) of different brands off the top of my head, some ok, some rubbish.
Norma
Osram
Duolux
GE
Raylite
Three L
Austa
Tungsram
Koito
Mitsubishi
Sylvania
Old 15-12-2005, 08:37 PM   #50
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

One good thing about HID globes ... they don't suffer premature failure from vibration (very rough roads) like halogen globes do .... as there is no filament in the globe at all ... just Xenon gas ... it uses an ignitor to power up the light and get the gas glowing inside the tube.

I have read in many place that the HID globe should last 2-3000 hours of usage.
Old 19-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #51
vbtruk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do you need to add a relay to the HID loom if it did not come with a relay already in it's harness? Also how do you wire the globe to stay on when you flick to high beam?
vbtruk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 12:37 AM   #52
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyQLD
What are the standard globes that were put in the AU's? The ones that are in my AU are crap they have no spread at all. I was thinking of trying the philips vision plus. Does anyone know how well they work?
Check your headlight alignment. I found my right side light was aimed for koala spotting when the left globe blew. Aimed it back down & it's 1000% better. FWIW I use Narva Arctic Blue or Hella Plus 50's and am happy with both.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 02:08 AM   #53
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbtruk
do you need to add a relay to the HID loom if it did not come with a relay already in it's harness? Also how do you wire the globe to stay on when you flick to high beam?
Depends what HID kit you got. If it's just a H1, then no, you don't need a relay. If it's a H4 single, then you don't need a relay. If it's a H4 Bi-Xenon, then you should have got a relay and all wiring in the kit.

I have the H4 Bi Xenons in the Low beam of the XR fronted wagon, and H1s in the highbeam. The quality of light is fantastic, and is not that glarey (no more so than the Plus50s that were in it).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post