Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-01-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
renegade334

Default Running a Red light... P Plater

Hey guys,

I was driving down sydney road tonight and I ran a red light (because I'm a stupid idiot who didn't pay attention).

The light had turned red just before I crossed the line, when I saw the camera flash.

I know a bloke on his Ps in SA and he tells me you can lose your license for something like this, is this the same in Victoria?

If not, what am I looking at? $250 and 2-3 demerit points?

Is it worth appealing? I have a clean record so far, and this was an honest mistake.

I know it's no excuse, and I'm sure that being a P plater won't help in appealing.
I've been a member of St John Ambulance for ten years now, and know a few paramedics/nurses etc..., so I've seen and heard about my fair share of the consequences of running lights etc... I'm mentioning this to show I'm sensible enough not to just speed up if I see an orange light as I know the consequences.

renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

No loss of licence.
Yeah about that.

No point disputing.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

An honest mistake running a red? You were honest that you weren't paying attention, if that's going to be your defence infront of the beak, he'll likely hit you with more charges.

Afraid all you can do is cop it on the chin and see what happens.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

I got done half a year ago, on my p's, just missed the arrow, Cop on a bike saw me do it...
$250 + 3dem points...
Don't bother contesting
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh mate. its 3 points and a $250 or so fine. You cant really contest running a red light.
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
fmc351
let it burn

As said there will be no excuse for the lapse in concentration. That can happen to anyone. Youll just have to cop it on the chin and learn not to loose concentration again. Itll probably happen again sooner or later, but be less likely given the reminder you have.

A lot of people on these forums (and everywhere really) could learn from this next bit....
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade334
I ran a red light (because I'm a stupid idiot who didn't pay attention)...

... I'm sensible enough not to just speed up if I see an orange light as I know the consequences.
On a side, the penalties handed out for various traffic offences like these are for these types of events, unintentional lapses in concentration or errors in judgment. Its a pity the penalty for these types of things are the same for the intentional reckless driver too.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

hope your lucky and its a poplar camera and has run out of film,
these redlight cameras aree still mechanical and require film..
Old 14-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have all done it, me included... I was lucky and there was no film in the camera. Shyte happens, you didn't hit anything or anyone. You could contest it but you already know you ran the red so you would have to prove how you didn't. Being sorry and repentant isn't a defence but rather something you want to be taken into account for the penalty.
You can take it to court for a plea of guilty but it's a hassle for you to turn up and talk to the magistrate. If you have more than $250 and 3 points riding on it you might bother but otherwise just move on.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

are you sure? they don't look that old, i always 10kph slower on sydney road as i hate the cameras! well if i get a fine, it goes to qld and doesn't get paid, but thats beside the point :(

if you have a clean record or iover 12 months, i'd say you'll be fine not losing anymore of the 12 months.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

If this is the camera I am thinking of at the intersection of the Hume and Barrys RD, it is a very busy camera, so the chances of no film being left could be quite good.

Good luck with it, hopefully the scare will help you pay a little more attention in the future

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
renegade334

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
If this is the camera I am thinking of at the intersection of the Hume and Barrys RD
Well done, thats the one.

Quote:
, it is a very busy camera, so the chances of no film being left could be quite good.
I was under the impression the cameras in Melbourne were digital...

Quote:
Good luck with it, hopefully the scare will help you pay a little more attention in the future
Flippin' oath it has, you should have seen me driving home

I totally agree with the idea of the red light cameras. I don't see them as revenue raisers at all, people do stupid things with traffic lights. The only problem is it makes people nervous (like my mum) who doesn't even want to risk running an orange... at all.

Thanks for your help guys, this is pretty much what I expected. It's probably a good thing this has happened, it's the sort of thing that helps you pay more attention.
renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post