Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Default AUI & AUII brakes

Hi, looking at possbily upgrading to an AU Falcon soon.

I vaguely remember that AUII had a differnet hub or something allowing brake upgrades to be easier. Is this right?

Any other advantages of AUII over AUI.
Also what years were AUIs?

Thanks
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 12:32 AM   #2
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

AUI had a single piston front caliper (same caliper EA-AUI), and AUII had a twin piston front caliper. Standard fitment discs were the same diameter front and rear (287mm) on all AU's except for the T-series, but the disc thickness changed from AUI to AUII/III for the standard discs.

AUI front - 287mm X 24mm.
AUI rear - 287mm X 10.5mm.
AUII/III front - 287mm X 28mm.
AUII/III rear - 287mm X 16mm.

Production dates for AUI is 09/1998 - 03/2000. The few brake upgrade kits that I'm aware of for AU's are almost all for AUII/III, but the AUI is the one that needs an upgrade to the brakes more so than AUII/III... go figure :. There was a premium option brake package which had 329mm X 28mm grooved front discs and is the second best brake package available from factory for the AU. The best being the Brembo option available for the AUIII T-series cars.

What AU model are you looking to purchase T_Terror? Got anything particular in mind?

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 12:35 AM   #3
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AUII's had different suspension (including swaybar), and larger wheels, which allowed them to have larger brakes. And they got twin piston callipers as well.

The interior/seats was completely different, as well as the dash. The cluster's were different too.

AUII's also got ABS, and have Smartshield. Some late model AUI's called (AU1.5 - the update model of Series 1) got Smartshield (I believe), and maybe some of the higher model cars got ABS. The wheel offset were the same, for all AU's including BAs except for the T3 TS50/TL50

It is possible to upgrade AUI brakes to match, AUII spec, although it would cost around 1.5k.

edit: lol ^^ there you go..

Last edited by LG; 05-03-2005 at 12:36 AM.
LG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

AND 16" wheels to fit over the twin piston calipurs !
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

THanks for the replies guys.

I remember walking into a local dealership a while ago and having a look around. The salesman came up and started telling me how the AUII was completley redesigned with brakes and other areas and had completely different components and how much better it was.
Somehow, i wasnt convinced...

I know of one selling for a good price, just wanted to be armed with some info.

Are there any complications with fitting a larger disc and caliper to the early style brakes?
Old 06-03-2005, 03:48 PM   #6
buickman
buickman

Unless you going to drive the car hard all the time and have plenty of money to upgrade. The S1 work well for every day use and because the rotors need changing after 2 sets of pads on the front the price to purchase them is fairly cheap nowdays. With a set of benix advance pads that leave almost no dust on your wheels. For just over $200 you can replace both front and rear rotors with pads. I've driven a few S2/3 Au's and really cannot tell that much difference in stopping power.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
neil101
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't tell the difference! you must drive like a granny lol

Just upgraded the brakes on my dads SI XR8 to SII and heap better you do notice the difference. If you can get the SII thats the better car to go for to upgrade the brakes from SI-SII cost around 1100 all up and there is quiet a bit of work (having just undertaken it myself) I'm going to post up details later on so anyone who is going to do this to there SI won't suffer the same time consuming problems I did (being told by ford and wreckers this is all you need) and ordering extra parts.

Neil
neil101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #8
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The AUII brakes are noticeably better.

Even for street driving. You can tell the difference. Whether stopping better is worth the money well that is another matter.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 11:10 PM   #9
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil101

Just upgraded the brakes on my dads SI XR8 to SII and heap better you do notice the difference. If you can get the SII thats the better car to go for to upgrade the brakes from SI-SII cost around 1100 all up and there is quiet a bit of work (having just undertaken it myself) I'm going to post up details later on so anyone who is going to do this to there SI won't suffer the same time consuming problems I did (being told by ford and wreckers this is all you need) and ordering extra parts.

Neil
I think you need the swaybar, 2 bottom control arms, rotors, calipers and pads to convert the S1 To S2/3 front brakes.

Well I think I might drive as a granny nowdays as in 34 years of driving in Australia, as well as Canada and the USA for most likley over a million miles I've been lucky only to have had 2 minior parking crashes 1 my fault the other not mine and that was years ago. So to me it would be a wast of money on a daily A to B car.
Yes I have hooned in the past but have been more focused on picking when to do it. Have gone down Calder in the 1/4 but would not do it to my cars nowdays. The Dyno's about as venturous as I would go nowdays
buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 01:01 AM   #10
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Well i like to push my cars hard so i think ill keep out for AUIIs. They are a big car afterall and need any extra stopping power they can get.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:22 AM   #11
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Some late model AUI's called (AU1.5 - the update model of Series 1) got Smartshield (I believe), and maybe some of the higher model cars got ABS
Yep I got both the Smartshield and the ABS in mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
It is possible to upgrade AUI brakes to match, AUII spec, although it would cost around 1.5k
IIRC I was quoted $1400 for the upgrade. Can't remember for sure though but I think it was around that price.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #12
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont_Krissy
IIRC I was quoted $1400 for the upgrade. Can't remember for sure though but I think it was around that price.
Hi Krissy, do you know what the upgrade kit consists of, and where can I get more info on this kit please?

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 02:44 PM   #13
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK
Hi Krissy, do you know what the upgrade kit consists of, and where can I get more info on this kit please?
Hiya AUGZMK

Give Auto Salvage a call .... or visit www.ftgautosalvage.com.au

They'll do an upgrade package for you inc Sway Bar Assembly, LWR Control Arms and Stubs, Rotors, Calipers ETC...

Krissy
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 03:28 PM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
Unless you going to drive the car hard all the time and have plenty of money to upgrade. The S1 work well for every day use and because the rotors need changing after 2 sets of pads on the front the price to purchase them is fairly cheap nowdays. With a set of benix advance pads that leave almost no dust on your wheels. For just over $200 you can replace both front and rear rotors with pads. I've driven a few S2/3 Au's and really cannot tell that much difference in stopping power.

buickman
I'd agree with this, AU1 with better pads are easily comparable to AU2/3 on the street.
On the track is another matter.

Rick.
Old 17-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #15
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil101

Neil
Would definatly be interested in seeing that info.. For me mainly the looks, Looks a bit funny with 19" and these piddly little brakes.. Once you are in the S2 setup Im pretty sure its alot easier to upgrade..

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #16
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

did they upgrade the booster and master cylinder from S1 to S2?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #17
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:

Crescent Motorsport (they trade as Crescent Motors) in Liverpool, NSW do an upgrade from S1 - S2, for about $800-$1000 somewhere all up drive in, drive out. That isn't however the premium package, just the basic S2 package.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2005, 03:41 PM   #18
parawolf
beep beep

check out cebco brakes, www.cebco.com.au they do E-Series and AU Series upgrades even to massive 4 piston AP Racing and Brembo kits. Fully ADR'd and braided lines.
Old 17-03-2005, 09:49 PM   #19
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
check out cebco brakes, www.cebco.com.au they do E-Series and AU Series upgrades even to massive 4 piston AP Racing and Brembo kits. Fully ADR'd and braided lines.
Yeah they do for Series 1 AU's but at a cost of around $2500 (from my last quote, i'm sure it was them) it's damn pricey.

While we're on the topic, whats the value in getting braided lines ? Are they a worthwhile mod to do ?

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 12:00 PM   #20
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.braidedhoses.com.au/

You can read up about the advantages. Pretty much the braided hose lines, will last longer, have a better & quicker response to braking.

They are:
Quote:
Hose are made with the finest quality Stainless Steel Braided tube.
Improved Safety with Enhanced Performance.
Can reduce braking distance during a Panic Stop.
Eliminates pedal sponginess under firm/heavy braking.
Allows immediate brake pedal response.
Increases brake efficiency.
Abrasion and Corrosion resistant.
Compatible with ALL brake fluids.
I've seen a set of the AU Premium Setup, the Tickford 4-pot system, for $2500 from a wreckers :(

I know for at least an AU2/3, you can get a PBR 4-pot system, for about $1900, and then add on installation (or do it yourself).
Old 19-03-2005, 01:19 AM   #21
Muzza
Bent Eight

I currently have an AUIII XR8 and had a AUI XR6 VCT previously. The AUI brakes in original form were a shocker ! I called them "fades" not brakes.
What I did was replace the front disks with DBA slotted. I continued to use the standard XR pads.
The disks made a HUGE difference... Zero fade, excellent pedal feel.
You could try that first before shelling out hard earned $$$ on new calipers etc.
Not sure if the PBR upgrades use bigger disks but if not then the DBA slotteds would be recommended anyway so no real waste of money.

Also, on the braided hoses...no personal experience...but the Tickford upgraded brake packages included replacement hoses/lines, the standard hoses were not used... IMO these should make a difference as well ... but I would still suggest BBFB to be the slotteds first.

BTW.. am also using DBA slotted on the ED XR6 wagon with AUI XR pads and the brakes are excellent.
MrsMuzza: ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels (8.5ins wide...nice), Sprint leather interior).

Last edited by Muzza; 19-03-2005 at 01:21 AM.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:21 PM   #22
Moran

I was lookingat the same upgrade from my Series 1.5 Fairmont I drove my brothers Series 3 AU and the brakes are a lot more responsive and have a better feel to pedal. We were going to compare the difference in parts and upgrade mine to series 3 brakes.

One thing we did note as soon as we lifted the bonnet is the Series 3 brake booster is bigger than series 1.5 that will be the first part I will bee looking at replacing first.
2003 BA XR6 Written off :(
2001 AU Falcon - Run around
2005 SY Territory Ghia
2010 FG XR50 Turbo
Moran is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:33 PM   #23
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I think you need the swaybar, 2 bottom control arms, rotors, calipers and pads to convert the S1 To S2/3 front brakes.

Well I think I might drive as a granny nowdays as in 34 years of driving in Australia, as well as Canada and the USA for most likley over a million miles I've been lucky only to have had 2 minior parking crashes 1 my fault the other not mine and that was years ago. So to me it would be a wast of money on a daily A to B car.
Yes I have hooned in the past but have been more focused on picking when to do it. Have gone down Calder in the 1/4 but would not do it to my cars nowdays. The Dyno's about as venturous as I would go nowdays
buickman
Sounds like you have an excellent driving history buickman. If all people had a record like yours, we would all be paying a lot less for insurance! LOL

Cheers!
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I'll be selling my AUII front brake setup soon from my ute.

As I will be getting the 330mm discs with 4-pot calipers ... will be needing it for courier work.

Cresent Motorsport in Liverpool is selling these for the AUII and the E-Series models as well. Prices are not available yet ... completed with braided line as well.

Need at least 17" rims to fit the brakes under.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post