Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
dreadly
Banned

Default Help with a cam upgrade?

Hey guys, im doing a cam upgrade on my au xr8 ute.
And wanna know if i need to replace the lifters?
Rang crow and they said they'd only be replacement ones as there already in there?
And can it be done without removing the front bar and having to de/re gas the a.c? just the radiator and fans?

dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

If you are upgrading, you may need 1.72:1 Roller Rockers... Yella Terra do these also.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You should always install new lifters with a new cam. Make sure you use some cam lube on the cam and put a dab on the bottom of the lifters before you drop them in.

I don't understand what are talking about regarding Crow and replacement ones are already in there?

I had to remove my front bar and air to do my cam on the TE. can't imagine the XR would be any different. Of course you can always lift the motor. Measure the distance from the front of the block to the aircon condensor and then measure the length of the new cam and work out if it will fit that way. I would rather have the bar off so you can see where you are pushing it esp with all that red goo all over it. Its far easier if you have a bolt screwed into the end of the cam to hang onto for guiding it in. Then bolt the gear on afterwards and remember to do it up tight once the chain is on so it won't turn.
This isn't an easy job - getting the water pump off isn't so bad but the the timing chain cover away from the block and sump is an exercise. You'll need 2 different pullers for the harmonic balancer and bottom timing chain gear
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Can be done without removing front bar but you will need to remove radiator.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
dreadly
Banned

Bugger it just ordered some new ones... this thread can be deleted cheers Peter
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadly
Bugger it just ordered some new ones... this thread can be deleted cheers Peter
just go the standard lifters, but grab new ones, the standard ones are fairly strong, u can get them from autobarn for $14.99 each.
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post