Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
balthazarr

Default Road Safety Ads in Games: Good or Bad?

From http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...14239,00.html:
Quote:
Video games to get local road safety ads
By Simon Canning The Australian September 07, 2009 02:00am

VIRTUAL billboards in car-racing and Guitar Hero games will soon feature state government road safety messages.

Victoria's Transport Accident Commission (TAC) has increased its commitment to advertising in computer games, saying the medium is emerging as the best way to target young males with road safety messages.

The TAC has signed a new one-year contract with Microsoft's in-game advertising service Massive to put virtual billboards in games ranging from music hit Guitar Hero to the soon-to-be-released racing game Forza Motorsport 3.

TAC senior marketing manager John Thompson said the decision to increase the presence of messages in games was a reflection of the impact the medium had already had.

Mr Thompson said the TAC was also about to embark on a major survey of the impact of in-game branding and the effect of safety messages in a live online environment with Microsoft gaming rival Sony.

Industry experts predict the next year will see an explosion in the power of in-game advertising, with Sony and Microsoft launching a major pre-Christmas marketing price war expected to see the number of consoles installed in homes and connected to broadband networks rise significantly.

"I identified this back in 2004 on my list of future opportunities," Mr Thompson said.

"TV is having a tumultuous time and we had to identify what we could do to get in front of more eyeballs.

"My belief in this dates back to the Commodore 64 (an early gaming machine), but the technology and the product was not there to do this even in 2004.

"This is about targeting males aged 18 to 39 - that's our world because we believe we can change their behaviour."

Mr Thompson said while the TAC had been a global pioneer in road safety advertising and created story lines not just for ads but even for shows such as Neighbours, the interactive environment offered an entirely new way to drive home the message.

"When we are able to flex our creative muscle in this environment is when it really starts to bite," he said.

Ads to be inserted into games include banner ads and virtual signs that blend in with the surrounding game environment, such as sports stadium hoardings and the walls of buildings.

Brian Neal, regional sales manager for Massive, said the TAC's target audience was spending up to 15 hours a week in online gaming environments where advertisers could reach them.

"One major benefit to in-game is the lack of competing media," Mr Neal said.

"As these guys watch TV, there is a high chance they're going to have their laptop open surfing the web, texting and chatting on the phone.

"Because a game is an ... experience that requires all your focus, in-game doesn't have to worry about competing for their attention."
Will it work? Is it a waste of money? Would you rather see "Wipe off 5." and "Drink. Drive. Bloody Idiot." as you're tearing around a race track, than generic "ads" (or even real ads)?

Personally, I'd rather not see any ads at all... it's not as if we get the game for free, and the ads support it - it's just another money spinner. But, if we have to have ads (and I don't think they're going away any time soon), are safety ads the way to go?

balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Games like NFS and Midnight Club (I think) already have warnings while the game is loading...

Usually stating always wear a seatbelt, drive according to posted limits, etc...

Personally, I don't mind as long as they have them as loading screens and it doesn't detract from the gameplay

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A game called quake live has TAC messages all over the place - road safety messages, if you ever play it you dont have much time to contemplate the billboards and things ingame cause you too busy running jumping and shooting at those that are running jumping and shooting at you

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

I think its a good thing, couldnt care myself, but for the younger generation, I think its great they start learning early.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
"This is about targeting males aged 18 to 39 - that's our world because we believe we can change their behaviour."
LOL! haha! that's gold!
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i dont mind it, gives it a bit of a more realistic feel, having real ads in there.

I always got annoyed @ games having advertising for other games in it, but real life ads, sure
Old 08-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I guess it wouldn't bother me too much, provided it wasn't blatantly obvious rubbish that stood out within the game.

"Current era" games involving vehicles, yes. But a game like the old "Mafia" which was set in like the 30's, it would look out of place for the time period the game is set in. Likewise with a futuristic or WW2 shooter.

As long as it didn't look too stupidly out of place or ridiculous I don't think I'd mind.

I'm sure there would probably be hacks & patches to remove the advertising anyways eventually (especially on PC).
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

In NFS Carbon it had one of the actors mentioning about road safety when you first start the game.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Kil4Collingwood

was playing saints row 2 on xbox last night while connected to xbox live and there were tac drink drive adds on billboards.
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is like the 'Winners Don't Use Drugs' that would appear at the start of some games...Pit Fighter was one of them.

I have no problem with it, as long as it doesn't interfere.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post