Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AAMI - not too bad

Thought I'd better check with AAMI as I'm about to fit an aftermarket exhaust to my car. They said because I was over 30, I could modify my car as much as I want (maybe not completely unlimited, but fairly free it seems) provided it is legal of course. It doesn't affect my premium either. Previously I thought AAMI were pretty strict, which I why I checked with them first. I suppose they think "How many 30+ year olds are going to modify their car that much?"

Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Thats pretty good.

Normally dealing with insurance companies can be a headache.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
myxr6
Banned

When I was with AAMI , I was allowed 3 mods , no more.
Tinted windows and extractors and system.
They let me add the recaro's with no dramas though.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
Buf-Phoon
Starter Motor

I am with AAMI ,over 30 and no problems with Mods ie exhaust , edit , fuel pump and injectors. Just be careful of what constitutes a mod , tinted windows, DVD players , aftermarket sat nav etc should be listed on your policy as accessories not modifications. Hope this helps
Buf-Phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

Has anyone claimed through these guys.

I heard it's a nightmare and the customer does all the work?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
aimzes
...fairly odd

yeah they suck when it comes to claiming.

when my mates volvo got stolen/recovered the first time they took there sweet time fixing it. didnt want to pay for the child seats (which were supposed to be covered under the insurance anyway) then they didnt change the locks of the car, which he didnt realise because he gave them his keys and got both sets back when the car was finished.

got stolen again and they didnt want to pay them anything because the locks had not been changed, which was something they were supposed to do anyway. after threatening to take them to court they finally agreed to pay.

mums had trouble with them aswell when a group of kids crashed a stolen car into ours. but eventually they paid.
Old 14-09-2005, 05:05 PM   #7
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

When I first brought my EF - about 4 years ago now and i was 20 i had it insured with AAMI. that was with it been lowered and 16" tickford rims. 12 months down the track i went to renew the insurance and was denied it because the wheel weren't standard. After agruing with numerous people i went to NRMA, been there since and haven't had a problem.

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
yeah they suck when it comes to claiming.
...and there's the clincher. Insurance is only good as when it comes time to claim. Shopping around for the cheapest has never been my goal, shopping around for the least hassle when I have to claim has.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
mattxr8

Choice of repairer is a must. Apparently some companies (eg. one of Australia's biggest insurers) tender repairs via the internet, and the job goes to the cheapest repairer (quality guaranteed, i think not). I have heard of some cars going interstate to be repaired and these companies are grinding the smash repair industry into the ground. Price of insurance is not everything.
mattxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #10
EL_futuraistic

Well i started with aami for 3rd party on my 1st car (cheaper). I just sold my 2nd car (racv insuranced) and now i have a nissan which is also insured with racv. Both my EL and my new nissan AAMI was $300+ more expensive.

I have had 2 accidents, 1 at fault and 1 not at fault and both times RACV have been fairly good, just the repairer has let the side down.

I really think you have to shop around for Car Insurance, usually AAMI and RACV dont mind minimal modifications. EG lowering, exhaust, Stereo's.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 07:38 AM   #11
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My father totaled a 6 week old Verada between Alice Springs & Darwin, about 18 months ago. The AAMI payout cheque beat him back home.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 08:11 AM   #12
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

The one time I had to deal with AAMI they were better than GIO at least. AAMI did everything for me, I had no problems with the repair job either. They sent around an investigator to interview myself and my witness prior to court (which neither of us had to attend) at a time and place that was convienent to us, not them. I stopped using them 2 years ago though, as my insurance went through the roof, (I live in the Bankstown district in Sydney, though miles away from the "bad" areas, go figure). I'm now with Auto & General (Budget Direct) Insurance, choice of repairer and they had most mods you could think of listed on the website for you to "tick" off, so I'd imagine they'd be mod friendly. Very good rates as well. "Touch Wood" I don't have to find out how they are to deal with....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
...and there's the clincher. Insurance is only good as when it comes time to claim. Shopping around for the cheapest has never been my goal, shopping around for the least hassle when I have to claim has.
This is so true Rod.
Most people look at how cheap the premium is and never think of what will happen when they have to claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842
My father totaled a 6 week old Verada between Alice Springs & Darwin, about 18 months ago. The AAMI payout cheque beat him back home.
Cheque??? If the car was 6 weeks old, why didn't they replace it?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #14
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842
Don't AAMI have a 12 month new car replacement policy?

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 11:00 AM   #15
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
Don't AAMI have a 12 month new car replacement policy?
Yeah from memory AAMI do offer 12 month New for New but a lot of other companies offer 2 years - which I thought was more the norm.

AAMI are Ok I personally haven't really dealt with them too much so don't really have any factual information - they have a pretty big share of the market so they must be doing something right.
Penelope Pitstop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 12:48 PM   #16
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

This year is my first year with AAMI. Both cars have TPP plus our CTP (NSW) with them.

After years and years with the NRMA, they changed the rules on us and stuffed us around. Our CTP used to be around the $360 mark because we had our TPP with them as well. This year, they decided they only offered discounts to ppl who had Comprehensive with them. So our premium on the CTP went up to $488.

F that! So I let my fingers do the walking, and AAMI were the only ones with such good service and cheap CTP and TPP that I decided to swap both cars over to them. A vast difference on two cars for CTP+TPP with the NRMA costing $488+$220 for each car, going down to $313+$145 with AAMI.

Have yet to discover if they are indeed bad or good, but hopefully I won't need the insurance I am paying for (touch wood).

The NRMA were very slow when someone tried to wipe out the rolla by going through a roundabout at 60kph without giving way to me. They cut corners on the costs of fixing her too by saying I didn't really need this part or that part. Bastards, they halved what I got from the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 12:54 PM   #17
The Taipan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very happy with AAMI for myself. Had two claims with them - one at fault in an BA XR6. The other as a victim of a vicious lane change into the side of my Territory. Both cases were dealt with effeciently and professionally, I was very happy with both repairs although I too the XR back for a second go (wasn't happy with the bonnet alignment). I can throroughly recommend them as a company. Any company that still uses a good-ole-fashioned secretary rather than an automated phone service, impresses me to begin with. Their recovery of the vehicle and willingness to accommodate my special circumstances were excellent.

Apparantly the guy who's wife hit my Territory is still fighting with them, but my car has long since been repaired and have no worries according to them. They legal guys are pursuing that money without any concern for me.

I can only give them a good wrap, and throw in to bonus for both cars they were by far the cheapest, offer new car replacement if the car is written off, and lifetime category 1 driver membership...
The Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #18
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

AAMI claiming was fine for me, at least I have no bad memories of it...
Old 16-09-2005, 07:56 AM   #19
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
This is so true Rod.
Most people look at how cheap the premium is and never think of what will happen when they have to claim.

Cheque??? If the car was 6 weeks old, why didn't they replace it?
His call, the Verada had been superceded & he went with a new BA Fairmont Ghia.

BTW, I just saved $500.00 on House & Contents Insurance switching to AAMI, from CGU.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post