Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Police drug tests

Hey guys, I'm curious as to if you take cold and flu tablets, which contain psuedoephedrine, would it show up positive on a police drug test?

Thanks much.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Maybe, but they aren't illegal??

Don't they test for illegal drugs (amphetimine, marijuana, speed, ecstacy, etc?)

Kinda like worrying about listerine showing up on the bretho - i'm sure it won't be an issue...
Old 24-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Kryton

Ring up your local cop shop and ask.
Never had the test, but i would assume that they would ask you if you are on any medication before they do it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

its only for pot and ecstacy
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a big weekend did we?

While I cant comment on what the police test for, I regularly get tested as part of my work place OH&S standards, and I know that they definitely test for it. I imagine that the police test would be very similar.

Most cold and flu tablets now dont have psuedoephedrine in them for this very reason, although they still are available with that ingredient. Personally I reckon that the new psuedoephedrine free tabs don't work as well as the old ones.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
Had a big weekend did we?

While I cant comment on what the police test for, I regularly get tested as part of my work place OH&S standards, and I know that they definitely test for it. I imagine that the police test would be very similar.

Most cold and flu tablets now dont have psuedoephedrine in them for this very reason, although they still are available with that ingredient. Personally I reckon that the new psuedoephedrine free tabs don't work as well as the old ones.
Haha nah, curious as a friend decided to drive to uni after taking cold and flu tablets and I thought they'd show up positive on a drug test.

Also while I'm at it, I got breath tested a week or so ago and they didn't even ask me for my license.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
its only for pot and ecstacy
Plus several other illicit substances.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speed is one of the main substances tested for....

Old 24-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Hey guys, I'm curious as to if you take cold and flu tablets, which contain psuedoephedrine, would it show up positive on a police drug test?

Thanks much.
yes it will considering it's the main ingreadiant of speed, cocain, efidren, crack, eccies.

be shure to obtain with a script, (i know its not nessesary) but just to cover your backside...
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

Also while I'm at it, I got breath tested a week or so ago and they didn't even ask me for my license.
I think Ive only been asked once out of a handful of times, they dont usually at an rbt unless they're sus on you

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you eat buns with poppy seeds on them you will test positive to opiats. (tested on mythbusters). i don't know if the police check for this, but would presume so.
Old 24-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

What does it say on the pack about operating machinery after taking? There may be no effect, but should be considered.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #13
richa
handsomest man in showbiz

Smile You can still get the good stuff

Yeah you can still buy the ones with the pseudoephedrine in them..You have to ask for them at the counter…and my guess is if you take anything to over the recommended dose the boys in blue could complicate things for you. That said, you will at least have the box with your name on it that the pharmacy printed for you….Yeah and that Poppy Seed thing is fact too.

So my recommendation is…don’t drive if you plan to be eating any poppy seed rolls whilst on over the counter cold and flu meds..and that’s about half of the tradies working outdoors this winter and enjoying a ham and cheese roll for smoko while trying to get over a cold LOLOL

'72 GS
richa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If police are using swab test kits, then they are probably checking for current impairment of drivers.

This is why tests like urine samples are questionable in stopping recreational use of drugs,
TCH from a joint can hang around in people's systems for four weeks while markers
from speed and heroin can disappear in days. That's why a swab test for current impairment is much more appropriate.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #15
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by richa
So my recommendation is…don’t drive if you plan to be eating any poppy seed rolls whilst on over the counter cold and flu meds..
that cracked me up! thankyou!
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
I think Ive only been asked once out of a handful of times, they dont usually at an rbt unless they're sus on you
And it doesn't take much for them to be sus on you, friend of mine was pulling up to an RBT and his mate in the passengers seat went to get his phone from the glove box.

They tore through his ute like they were kids on red cordial opening christmas presents, all because they "saw him open the glove box"
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #17
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Speed is one of the main substances tested for....
And so they should...Speed kills....
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #18
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

If you do take this sort of medication, make sure you've got a script, or a chemist receipt with you. (Yeah a PITA). Should you ever get pulled over for one of these tests, explain to the locals that you've just taken this medication and produce the receipt.

Push comes to shove, I'm sure you can ask for another test at the hospital, to confirm what you have actually taken.

To the OP. If your uni mate was tested and it came up with a preliminary positive test, he would have been taken away on the spot for further testing. (Just like drink driving). So I think it's worried about nothing.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #19
3vXT

I've got a fat bag of poppy seeds and a semi automatic sling shot under my spare in the boot. They'll never find them there!@!!
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #20
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
yes it will considering it's the main ingreadiant of speed, cocain, efidren, crack, eccies.

be shure to obtain with a script, (i know its not nessesary) but just to cover your backside...
Actually, no it will not. MDMA is the active drug in ecstacy, fantasy and many other stimulant type illicit drug, which can be made from pseudoephedrine but these road side tests will not show a positive test from pseudoephedrine medications, the production of MDMA alters the pseudoephedrine too much to give a positive result. It is the same situation for methamphetamine which can also be made from pseudophedrine. Here is a quote from the Queensland Police website.
By the way pseudoephedrine has nothing to do with the production of cocaine, this is made from the coca plant, nor in the production of crack which is a derivative of cocaine and baking soda.

Quote:
Random roadside drug testing
What drugs will be tested?
Police will ask you to provide a saliva sample for the purpose of testing for:
 THC—the active ingredient in cannabis
 Methylamphetamine—also known as speed and ice
 MDMA—the active ingredient in ecstasy.
Saliva tests will only be able to detect the active ingredients of the nominated drugs THC, MDMA and
methylamphetamine.
Even though methamphetamine is manufactured from substances such as pseudoephedrine (found in cold and flu tablets)
those substances will not be detected by the saliva tests.
Old 26-08-2010, 04:04 AM   #21
richa
handsomest man in showbiz

Wink To any fun Police...Just Kidding ;))

Who put this up???…None of the boxes can be Ticked. hehehehehe

Random roadside drug testing
What drugs will be tested?
Police will ask you to provide a saliva sample for the purpose of testing for:
 THC—the active ingredient in cannabis
 Methylamphetamine—also known as speed and ice
 MDMA—the active ingredient in ecstasy.

'72 GS
richa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #22
zdcol71
zdcol71

We went to Byron Bay a couple of months back and my young fella (Learner) got stopped for his first D and A. I had not been through a drug test before so it was new to me, anyway all good and sent on our way.
On the way out of Byron I was driving as I had a beer with lunch, and got pulled up by another "roadside" just before entering the highway, gave a sample for alcohol reading, but wasn't required to give a sample for drug test.... the little brat next to me was chuckling away smuggly as he thought, as did the coppers, the old man looks far too straight and/or decrepit to be one of those evil druggies!!
Old 26-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #23
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
We went to Byron Bay a couple of months back and my young fella (Learner) got stopped for his first D and A. I had not been through a drug test before so it was new to me, anyway all good and sent on our way.
On the way out of Byron I was driving as I had a beer with lunch, and got pulled up by another "roadside" just before entering the highway, gave a sample for alcohol reading, but wasn't required to give a sample for drug test.... the little brat next to me was chuckling away smuggly as he thought, as did the coppers, the old man looks far too straight and/or decrepit to be one of those evil druggies!!
Good for a giggle but I have been to many "old and decrepit" drug overdoses.
Old 26-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #24
zdcol71
zdcol71

Unfortunately, there is probably going to be a large number of people speculating that the quantities of whatever drug they choose to use will not see them end up as an overdose stat, but will fail to realise that the end result is going to be very similar if they choose to use said quantities of whatever drug whilst thinking they are in control of a car.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #25
roadrage77

You'll be fine.
roadrage77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post