Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
XRATE-UTERUS
Banned

Default XR6 Exhaust?

Im looking for an exhaust system for my uterus i want twin pipes out the back end (side by side) but dont want that drone noise going on, anyone got and info on some?

car is xr6 2001 uterus.

XRATE-UTERUS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Smythy93

ive got an exhaust sytem on mine took it to a place called fat pipes at kallangur they did a fantastic job and it cost me $370. not to sure think it was a cat back with a hotdog on it but my tip is a twin drupie which looks pretty neat
Smythy93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

2.5" cat back, mandrel bent with one smallish muffler... and maybe a hotdog towards the rear, and get some twin tips put on. should be around 3-400 bucks
Old 23-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
robbyj
Rob

How much are you looking to spend mate, cos you can go extractors right thru, or just a cat back.

Also are you looking to do any other performance mods? From trolling the forums it seems most people that go forced induction end up changing their exhaust to 3"

But if you dont plan to do any of that 2.5" mandrel bent.

Also, how loud are you looking to make it, you say you dont want it to drone so i presume you'll prefer to have all the mufflers on.

You can always get extractors and a high flow cat later on, so the cat back is a good starting point.

Have a talk to any local exhaust shops anyway, they should give you a fair idea.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
2.5" cat back, mandrel bent with one smallish muffler... and maybe a hotdog towards the rear, and get some twin tips put on. should be around 3-400 bucks
Correct.
Old 23-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
tickfrd6

I got my exhaust done a couple of months ago. I to was in the same boat not knowing which exhaust would give a nice not without much drone. I spoke to my local exhaust guy at highpoint mufflers. He recommended a 2.5" mandrel bent cat back with a hot dog and twin chrome tips. It gives a nice rumble and very little drone. All up it cost me $550

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
tickfrd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
XRATE-UTERUS
Banned

thanks for the tips. when they say cat back does that mean from the catylic converter to the rear end?
XRATE-UTERUS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep thats a cat back

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
Falconxr68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfrd6
I got my exhaust done a couple of months ago. I to was in the same boat not knowing which exhaust would give a nice not without much drone. I spoke to my local exhaust guy at highpoint mufflers. He recommended a 2.5" mandrel bent cat back with a hot dog and twin chrome tips. It gives a nice rumble and very little drone. All up it cost me $550
I'm looking at getting a exhaust too. Is that the cheapest you've found? Would you be able to post a vid up demonstrating what it sounds like. Would be great mate. (redback yea?)

Cheers
Falconxr68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 02:05 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

catback system??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #11
robbyj
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
catback system??

Those systems can really purr.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 02:39 AM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahhahah puurrrrrr-ffect reply ;)
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #13
tickfrd6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconxr68
I'm looking at getting a exhaust too. Is that the cheapest you've found? Would you be able to post a vid up demonstrating what it sounds like. Would be great mate. (redback yea?)

Cheers
Yeh another place quoted me close to $700. I really recommend this place top blokes. They didn't have any redback systems on so they made one up for me on the spot with mandrel bends. Yeh mate I'll get a video for you. Do you want me to give it a rev or drive up and down the street?

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
tickfrd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
Falconxr68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfrd6
Yeh another place quoted me close to $700. I really recommend this place top blokes. They didn't have any redback systems on so they made one up for me on the spot with mandrel bends. Yeh mate I'll get a video for you. Do you want me to give it a rev or drive up and down the street?
I guess the prices increase as time goes like everything else. Regarding the vid, whatever suits you best but revving would be good.
Falconxr68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #15
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik

catback system??
Well whaddya know, I've had it wrong all these years - those cannon muffler/fart tips really can pull pu$$y....
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
Jimmyd
Banned

vid of 2.5" custom fit single box straight through using thick wall tubing, Lukey primary and a Mercury resonator out back on a 1999 Fairmont Ghia VCT if it of any help. no drone issues across the rev range and a nice burble at idle

Last edited by Jimmyd; 26-09-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #17
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I got an off-the-shelf redback system for my XR6 VCT I had. It was quite impressive and cost me only $450 installed. If you want to avoid highway drone, avoid straight through mufflers. Unless you have resonators, but the extra cost of them when a decent flowing chambered muffler does the same job kind of makes them pointless at this level.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd

vid of 2.5" custom fit single box straight through using thick wall tubing, Lukey primary and a Mercury resonator out back on a 1999 Fairmont Ghia VCT if it of any help. no drone issues across the rev range and a nice burble at idle

The Mercury 2.5" Catback has a very very nice deep burble.

And a very good price too I might add

It is a very distinctive sound too very pleasant to the ear.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #19
Day-mow
rexnet

here's mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyxbbLUKTAQ
single lukey race muffler.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #20
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd

Exact set up I have. The lukey muffler is tiny but hahaha. Use to sound great on back off with pops n cracks etc