Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
bob^
LPS

Default Temporary Car Insurance

Tomorrow I am going to look at 3 utes for the potential next car. My only issue is if I end up buying one of them tomorrow, I want to be insured for the drive home.
Does anyone know of any type of insurance that would cover me for the day, just until I got home and then organised proper insurance which is vehicle specific?
All three cars are different makes and models.
Cheers

Bob

bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just ring your insurer, ie GIO, NRMA once you have purchased the car, over the phone they will insure you on the spot, ie: a cover note, about 3 weeks later you will be required to make your first monthly payment or pay the annual premium.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
3vXT

^^^^ What he said, a cover note.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are not going to be able to anything until you know exactly what car you bought.
Once you have bought the car, ring a insurance company and start up a policy.
The first 14 to 21 days of the insurance is a covernote.

Insurance in Australia covers the actual car. So you will have to be specific on the policy before the car is insured, or even getting a cover note.

Just remember to buy the correct policy that is suited to you, as if you have an accident under a cover note. you will have to pay the for the policy before the claim would be accepted.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

As above.. ring insurer and they will put a cover note on it for 7 days usually... But you can only do this once you have bought the car..

Good luck. Please make sure you do a Revs check on the vehicles before you pay for them too if they are private sale.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Please make sure you do a Revs check on the vehicles before you pay for them too if they are private sale.
Probably the most IMPORTANT advice - and its got nothing to do with insurance...

If you're gonna drop a heap of cash on someone.... make 100% sure they own the car and there is no finance...

Otherwise - the next knock at your door might be the repo man... and he's not gonna swap you your bag of cash for the car...
Old 26-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Heed all the above find your car leave a deposit revs check it and get a cover note confirm the vin marches the rego and see the licence of the owner and pay by bank cheque

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
Heed all the above find your car leave a deposit revs check it and get a cover note confirm the vin marches the rego and see the licence of the owner and pay by bank cheque
I always leave a deposit and if all checks out then pay and pick it up. I try to get it all checked out before a deposit aswell

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
bob^
LPS

Thanks for the advice - I didn't realise my insurance company was available 24 hours on call so that works out well.
I ended up coming home car-less. It seems some peoples view of immaculate is different to mine.
One dealership I went to, the ashtray was still full of smoke butts!
Another car was in too good of a condition. The front bar was even spotless, but the radiator and support member was covered in stone chips. Not bad for a car with "original paint".

If anyone knows of any AU utes for sale with a reasonable amount of km for around the $7000 mark let me know.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post