Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Default Garage address in South Australia, drivers licence in Queensland?

I have been travelling around Australia for the past year, but I am now in Queensland and need to buy a car. I have worked out it is easier to transfer my licence to Queensland to buy a car, but I have a car still registered in South Australia, which will be staying where it is. I have called the rego departent who said I will need proof of garage address in South Australia before the car rego in SA can be renewed. The problem is I don't trust what people at the rego department say, because like most government offices, everyone tells you something different. I will call them back to get a second opinion.

Has anyone had experience keeping a car registered at an interstate address while having a drivers licence in a different state? There must be plenty of people that travel often between states and have cars registered in each state.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 21-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I'm not sure it would be that hard to keep the garage address in SA. They will after all want the rego fee's more than the hassle of changing it for you.
Old 21-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you know someone in SA that can post the renewal to you, so you can pay it. so long as it's a SA address they probably won't notice. this is what my neighbour does, keeps his car reg in ACT even though he lives in NSW.
Old 21-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

Sounds like you are trying to avoid losing points on your license. To make it easier put the car under someone elses name, that way when you are nominated you only lose money rather than points. Oldest trick in the book.
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
BAFalconXT
Sold...

I could put it in someone elses name, but that costs money and I will back in about 6 months. When they transfer the licence they then cancel the South Australian one. You used to be able to register a car without a licence, but they have changed the laws.
Old 21-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can still own a car without a licence... how do you think companies "own" cars??
My mum had dads car in her name when he passed away and she didnt hold a licence.

If your only moving for 6months have the garage address of a family member if you have any there. Do it before you transfer your licence over.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
BAFalconXT
Sold...

I called them up again, this lady told me to go on the internet and put my garage address on there and everything should be fine. We shall see....
Old 21-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

what a hassle, mate in vic we don't have those dramas....what can I say...good luck!
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4ME
Sounds like you are trying to avoid losing points on your license. To make it easier put the car under someone elses name, that way when you are nominated you only lose money rather than points. Oldest trick in the book.

Bit behind the times there. It's been in for at 3 years I know of, where you get booked interstate and still loose the points off your licence. ie, get booked for speeding in QLD and you still loose points off your S.A licence. It even applies if you are pinged by a camera interstate. The car could be registered to a mate, and the mate nominates you as the driver. You still loose the points.

As for garaging details. If the car is already registered in S.A, just put in a mail redirection order to a mates place, when the rego is due. Then give the mate the cash to re-register the car and post the sticker off to you.

Either that, or pay the rego over the internet and put in a re-direction order at the post office, so the sticker comes straight to you or the mate. dead easy.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like he said, points come off the license of the registered owner of the vehicle for camera fines, unless he nominates another driver, then that driver will lose the points, so someone will always lose the points.

If you get handed the ticket well you lose the points.

Not sure on the rego thing though
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post