Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
stang777

Default lost panel van

Hi im trying to locate my grand fathers Xc panel van. he had this van for as long as i can remember and when he died it was meant to go to me. Well that never happened. So now im trying to find it. So if anyone knows anything about it please let me know it would mean the world to me if i could have it back regardless of what condition. It was nothing special just your basic 6 cylinder column shift windowless Xc panel van it was bright yellow and had a hand painted black out on the bonnet. It had custom build wooden storage boxs both sides on the inside. I know it was last sold in sa in the adelaide hills i think near Murray bridge maybe to a wreckers im not sure. If anyone has any info please let me know as it was my favourite car when i was young and got driven everywhere in it. The licence plate was sfv 352 sa plates.

stang777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
stang777

Will put a pic up asap
Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About when was it sold in Adelaide Hills... that info would help a lot too.

Sure hope you find it, or maybe find the person who last had it. Good luck.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
stang777

Sorry yeah it was sold about 2006
Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
stang777

Also has no roof lining
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
stang777

Here's a pic

Last edited by stang777; 15-04-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Try going to RTA. Give them the old Rego number and ask if it is still registered, or find out who the last registered owner was, assuming that it wasn't your grandfather. They won't give you the info, but i believe it is possible for them to contact the owner with your details, should they wish to contact you from there. That, or they can ask the current owners permission to pass on their details to you.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
stang777

Ok thanks. I know it was given to my step dad and he sold it i think to the wreakers. So really maybe i should look for
wreakers in that area can't be too many
Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check with your stepdad to be sure.... that's probably the best way to find out what he did with the panel van. It would be awesome if you found it, good luck again.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #10
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He sold it to a wrecker 4 years ago? Well, where do you think it is now? Probably the front end of a brand new Hyundai Getz by now.
Old 13-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
stang777

Haven't seen him for 4 years. But ill see what i can do
Old 13-01-2011, 01:07 AM   #12
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
He sold it to a wrecker 4 years ago? Well, where do you think it is now? Probably the front end of a brand new Hyundai Getz by now.
Sorry to say, but this could be the possibility now. Wreckers cars dont last long in the yard. & They are in a near irrepairable state when they come out. & I mean, like, genuine irrepairable, because they are usually crushed on site by the forklift/front end loader that they use to transport in & out old & new stock.

Stupid Question, why dont you get in contact with him & simply ask your Stepdad straight out or is he an *?
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Unfortunately the way the wreckers work is, once the car has been there for 3 months, it's going to become a new car.

Yes, there are some wreckers that hang onto them for a bit longer, however after 4 years, it'd be long gone.

Sorry for the negativity, but unfortunately that's how they work. Good luck with the search anyway

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
stang777

He's a complete * and has done unforgivable things to our family. Well when he told us he said the guy was a mate who owned a wreakers so maybe hopefully he wanted it for himself and may still have it but i am aware that if it did go to the actual wreakers its most likely defiantly gone but you never know unless you look
Old 13-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Good luck in your quest to find it mate

PS: is that you picking your nose on the bonnet with Grandad? lol
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #16
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang777
He's a complete * and has done unforgivable things to our family. Well when he told us he said the guy was a mate who owned a wreakers so maybe hopefully he wanted it for himself and may still have it but i am aware that if it did go to the actual wreakers its most likely defiantly gone but you never know unless you look
You may be able to track it down from the wreckers to whomever else had it next so don't give up! Let's hope someone (the mate, or someone who saw it and decided he wanted it) took it and it's somewhere.

One thing for sure, if and when you do find it, let us know.

*And don't let it go.*
Old 14-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Here in NSW, you can use a function on the RTA site allowing you to make your own personal plate. If the plate is available then you know no other in NSW has it, if it is not, well you then know a car is driving around with it (ir it's in storage at the RTA).

Is there a similar system for SA? Type in the plates and see if they are available.

If they are not, it may be that they are still on the car you seek, or at some stage the plates have been transferred to another car.

It is a pretty rare model, have a list of favourites saved on your browser (google, ebay, trading post, gumtree etc) or any other site which may have this car mentioned for whatever reason.

Once a week, open all the pages in that favourites and search them all. You may strike it lucky some day.

Also, contact car clubs (any that are active ie, hold regular meetings) by mail, sending a colour copy of the car as well as the reason you seek it.

If you are lucky, it will be mentioned in a meeting and it may yield a result.

Edit: I did the plate search myself and it seems the only way to properly confirm if they are available or not is if you complete the ordering process.

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 14-01-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #18
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As Yellow_Festiva said, here is the link for the RTA site:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/ezypl...plates_app.htm

Go to plate designer and choose the R & S plate - If you then type in the rego number it puts a green tick next to the plate which means it is available. This would make sense as you say the car was sold to a Wrecker 4 yrs ago, but that's not saying that the car wasn't brought complete and eventually re-registered. I guess the only way you'd know that is to get then to search by a Vin number (do you have any old rego papers for it?)

I'd hate to say it but unfortunately I think the car is lost also.

My Gallery Photos Here

Last edited by XR6WGN; 14-01-2011 at 12:24 AM.
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The RTA can give you the info under the Freedom Of Information Act (FOI). It'll cost you $30 - $40 and it will give you ther last registered owner or if the car is still currently registered. They have the forms available only at the RTA and you need to ask for the FOI Act forms specifically as some of their employees don't have a clue what they are, but someone else will. You can trace it through your grandfathers name or your step dads.
Conversley, if you know which wrecker he knows, or the wreckers close to where he lives, you might be able to find it. Try ringing a few of them in the area.

Last edited by Mesa; 14-01-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #20
stang777

Yep that's me on the bonnet. He used to put on the roof to clean it. We would clean it every weekend in the pic we had just finished. He dove it every day till the cancer he got was to much for him to handle i actually remember the last ever drive i went in it with him and he was in pain every time he turned corner. At that point in time he actually had the only ford siera cosworth in sa. But that also got sold when he died. Thanks everyone for your help im going to do everything i can to find it or find out what happened to it and ink defiantly let you all know what the outcome is
Old 16-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #21
stang777

Also the rear doors where the side by side type im not sure what you call them
Old 16-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #22
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang777
Also the rear doors where the side by side type im not sure what you call them
Barn Doors..