Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

Default installing an Acron air box. xr8

Hey guys, not sure if this is tech worthy, so i figured id place it amongst you guys. Hopefully the thread title will allow for future searches to find what they are looking for.

Not long ago i made purchase of the new style acron CAI box, found here (limited numbers left)

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1242900&page=9

After recieving the item from whoosh, i went on to purchase..
the other items required:

Firstly you need a MAF adaptor, this is the one i went for, TFI racing, part #9018 . This allows 3 inch connection instead of the direct fitment of the factory airbox.

You will also need 3 hose clamps, unless you have some at home. I always prefer the heavy duty ones, they arent very expensive either and look a tonne better .

You will also need a pod filter, pending on your setup, make sure it accepts the piping you wish to use (3 inch in this case). I went for the 3A racing pod. Its cheap, and flows and filters with the best of them (proven results).

You will need one piece of silicon piping to join things together. 3 inch in this case. With the newer style box, you can just use a straight piece with a straight pipe. Its a tight fit, but it all holds in well. Alternatively you could use an elbow piece of silicon piping, whatever suits you.

Lastly, youll need some straight piping (or get some mandrel bent). I went with a piece of 3 inch steel pipe to keep things simple.
I rubbed it back, and gave it a layering of liquid silver and some clear. nb: you will cut this down to size once you have worked out where you want your pod sitting.

process:
read acron instructions to help you with the process
Once you have all things required, its time to test fit your new box. Give yourself plenty of time to get things done so you dont rush and make any mistakes. Go ahead and remove your old airbox. I find it easier to remove the MAF from the intake pipe, then undo the box and remove the 3 bolts holding it in. Then you can remove the MAF/AIRBOX in one (dont forget to unplug the loom). This makes it easier to take the MAF away from the airbox.

Once you have removed the MAF, check that your MAF adaptor is the correct part and lines up properly. Assuming it does, go ahead and bolt the adaptor on.

get your piping and clamp it to your air filter... test fit to length with your MAF and then cut to suit. i kept mine pretty long, as it helps keep the pod ridgid.

You have to get your new acron box in position. Keep in mind you may find a few things fouling you. just keep an eye on all sides to make sure nothing is blocking you getting the right fit. You need to get the front end of the box, under the metal of the front of your car. Place the screw in through the hole where there was a white cable tidy poking through and fasten the screw about half way. This ensures your two other screw points will line up properly.

Next you will see 2 holes in your box, you have to use a fair bit of force to get the box into position, dont worry, it wont break.
Pictures speak:

you will need to use alot of force to get them in the correct spot, but you want the flat part of your car next to the chassis rail hard lined up with the vertical part of your box. it will make sense when you do so. Basically the box has to be pushed towards the passenger quarterpanel. once in position, mark both spots with a texta.

After that, take the box back out, and then predrill the holes markedto allow you to screw them into place. pass the filter through your airbox hole and place the silicon hose on and leave loose.

Re-fit your box again and line up your maf adaptor to the silicon hose and tighten the last clamp.

After all that, you should end up with something similar (pending on your piping/silicon combination) to this:

Old 31-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: installing an Acron air box. xr8

Nice work on the writeup, clean install too.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Nice write up Leigh I will put the link in the useful threads area, Give it a week or 150Ks to settle in and you should feel some difference.
For those who wish to use a bigger pod filter a piece like this from the local exhaust shop will take it up to 3 1/2 "

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

Cheers fellas. I'm pretty happy with the finished result. hopefully someone finds this thread somewhat useful. Even just for a bit of reassurance
Old 21-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

I managed to pick up one of the last ones, found it on the doorstep yesterday

Cheers for the write up mate, will be keeping a close eye on it when i set mine up next weekend. Was hoping to do it this weekend but the maf adaptor didnt make it in on time....
Old 09-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
El Tazo
Dick off, Mr Slattery

Any chance of reloading the pictures into this thread - looks very informative but it needs them.

BF Typhoon - manual, bolt-ons, noice tunes, abused every time it's driven

Previous Projects:
Festy - Daily XR4 Grandad's ZJ: Laid to rest Danny's EL Fairmont - Barra-swapped, left home

How To's:
A half-decent 6.5" speaker install in an EF/EL 85A Clevo alternator upgrade
El Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tazo View Post
Any chance of reloading the pictures into this thread - looks very informative but it needs them.
Send AU11 Pursuit a pm he may still have them . when photochukit went to the new format a few threads lost there pictures

Quote:
Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

Bang for buck anyone?
There like 210$ on eBay now minus all the bits? What would be the total price for everything???
I really want this kit as a one piece instead of sourcing everything separately
What are the power gains???
NCII40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
El Tazo
Dick off, Mr Slattery

Grab yourself a filter from the discount bin at VPW and a MAF adaptor from Autobarn. I'm pretty sure it's all in my build thread.

Previous Projects:
Festy - Daily XR4 Grandad's ZJ: Laid to rest Danny's EL Fairmont - Barra-swapped, left home

How To's:
This user likes this post:
Old 15-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tazo View Post
Grab yourself a filter from the discount bin at VPW and a MAF adaptor from Autobarn. I'm pretty sure it's all in my build thread.
Whats the VWP mean
Also wil autobarn have that exact adapter ?
And i am lost on the pipe work, up further on intake pipe there is a sensor
will this need to be put back in
its like right before the throttle body
NCII40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #11
El Tazo
Dick off, Mr Slattery

I think that's an air intake temp sensor and you definately need it! E-series have them in the manifold and AUs have them in the intake tube. Have a look at page 3 of my build thread - I didn't give a proper How-To but it's pretty self explanatory.

Previous Projects:

How To's:
Old 15-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #12
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Hi
Great info, I just installed a K&n panel filter and now want to install a bigger intake snorkel. Will I need to do anything to the ecu or will it sort it out by itself over some milage. Its an AUII VCT project already installed pacemakers, 2.5" cat & 2.5" exhaust out to twin.

Thanks
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
Hi
Great info, I just installed a K&n panel filter and now want to install a bigger intake snorkel. Will I need to do anything to the ecu or will it sort it out by itself over some milage. Its an AUII VCT project already installed pacemakers, 2.5" cat & 2.5" exhaust out to twin.

Thanks
100 or so Ks will sort it

Quote: