Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
damianryt

Unhappy Death wobbles on AU series 1 xr6 ute?!

hey guys as the titles says, im having the joys of having the death wobbles whenever im sitting on the freeway at anything over 95km/h

-Its been fitted with some sort of Pedders front spring/Shocker setup (unknown) but the lowest point is probably 80mm and thats from the K-frame/sway bar area
-the rear has similar shocks and sits about 110mm from the ground,

-Front tyres are showing signs of bad wear with the passenger front having wear on the outside edge,

-Right front tyre is fairly good,

The steering wheel doesn't seem to shake so its doesnt seem to be an alignment issue, it more feels like the whole car is vibrating at speeds, ive tried it in different gears (auto) and still does it regardless of rev's, it does seem to taper out sometimes which is abit unusual!!

-Also i dont know if this is related but during slow/dry steering the front suspension makes sort of like a knocking/snapping noise sometimes but never when im driving?! guessing this will be some sort of worn out link issue

-So far the plan of attack is that ive purchased a set of superlow springs for the front to hopefully bring it up to the same level as the rear,
-Im getting new tyres fitted, (factory tickford 17 inch rims)
-Im also dropping it off to my local mechanic for him to check gearbox mount/engine mounts/ and tail shaft etc,

Any idea's on what it could be and if anyone else has been fortunate enough to have there other half be slightly aroused while on the freeway!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Ohh and soon to have pictures up!

damianryt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Death wobbles on AU series 1 xr6 ute?!

Decent wheel alignment with a camber kit fitted.

Also, get your bushes in the front end checked out.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
damianryt

yeah a camber kit doesnt seem to be fitted, which is strange since its been lowered that much,

and yeah the plan was to get the shop to look over the front to see if anything is worn
Old 03-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top

Also, get your bushes in the front end checked out.
Just to clarify - this isn't related to the comment about the other half getting aroused on the freeway.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same problem it's rear wheel balance , in my case it was caused by a buckled rim and a new rim fixed it, but you might just need a balance

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianryt
-Front tyres are showing signs of bad wear with the passenger front having wear on the outside edge,

The steering wheel doesn't seem to shake so its doesnt seem to be an alignment issue,

!

Sorry but the above quoting doesn't add up to me. Shake has nothing to do with alignment, yet tyre wear does.

As for camber kit. What's that got to do with outside wear. Lowering a car allows the camber to go more negative, which translates to inside tyre wear.

My suggestion. Get new tyres, make sure they're balanced properly and have a wheel alignment done. And forget about a camber kit. You obviously don't need it, because the inside edges aren't wearing. The outsides are.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
damianryt

yeah the whole tyre wear thing has got me abit puzzled really, why would the outside wear down on one tyre?

but i was thinking it could possibly be a balancing issue, i was going to get them to balance all 4 wheels again and go for a full alignment
Old 04-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
yeah the whole tyre wear thing has got me abit puzzled really, why would the outside wear down on one tyre?

but i was thinking it could possibly be a balancing issue, i was going to get them to balance all 4 wheels again and go for a full alignment

Without going right into detail and confusing the issue, basically the wear problem relates to it toeing in a little too much.

Get a wheel alignment (which will solve the wear problem), rotate the wheels front to rear (which helps flatten out the ones that were on the front) and have the rears balanced and put on the front (which should solve a vibration issue).

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok tyre wear is down to alignment, to be properly wheel aligned the bushes need to be in good order, and if the cambers no good, then a camber kit needs to be fitted as well.

Shakes could be buckled wheel, or wheel balance, but to me it sounds like it might be uni joints since you said it fades out some times.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the wobbles faded in and out with my car infact the problem described was exactly the same as mine so a rear wheel balance would be a good starting point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwon
Ok tyre wear is down to alignment, to be properly wheel aligned the bushes need to be in good order, and if the cambers no good, then a camber kit needs to be fitted as well.

Shakes could be buckled wheel, or wheel balance, but to me it sounds like it might be uni joints since you said it fades out some times.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 04-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
damianryt

thanks for the info guys,

im starting off by getting to new tyres for the front today and getting them all balanced, and then its off to the mechanic to have the new springs fitted and aligned then, but im going to get him to check the bushes etc while its up there!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
damianryt

*bit of an update*

well i removed the front springs and replaced them with factory springs, had the rear tyres moved to the front (which were nearly brand new) and had 255/40's fitted to the rear,

had it all balanced and aligned, drives heaps nicer but now it feels as though the vibration has moved to the front of the car now?!

the tyre shop is thinking its going to be a buckled wheel maybe but they need to look at it some more tomorrow(ran out of time today!)

BUT on the positive side,

the new tyres look very nice, gives the car a far more aggressive stance on the factory 17's, i will try and get a photo of it up in the next day or so!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
*bit of an update*

well i removed the front springs and replaced them with factory springs, had the rear tyres moved to the front (which were nearly brand new) and had 255/40's fitted to the rear,

had it all balanced and aligned, drives heaps nicer but now it feels as though the vibration has moved to the front of the car now?!

the tyre shop is thinking its going to be a buckled wheel maybe but they need to look at it some more tomorrow(ran out of time today!)

BUT on the positive side,

the new tyres look very nice, gives the car a far more aggressive stance on the factory 17's, i will try and get a photo of it up in the next day or so!
mine was buckled, new ( used,new that is) rim fixed it

Rides:

Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
damianryt

yeah i will be checking them both out tomorrow to find the culprit, Then the hunt will begin to find either 1 or 2 replacement rims to match!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwon

I have to ask why would you need a camber kit, if the cambers are no good?

AU Falcons were the first in the run, that had plenty of room between the inner guard and the upper control arm mounting bracket to be able to shim to correct camber issues. I personally have been able to get 1 1/2 degrees adjustment without the necessity of a camber kit.

Then we can add in, the OP had an outer edge wear issue. Lowering a car causes the wheel to lean outwards at the bottom (inwards at the top), therefore causing the tyre to run on the inside edge more. Running on the inside edge is then self explanatary as to the wear you'll receive, which is opposite to what the Op is experiencing.

So I really do look forward to a reason behind these comments

Old 04-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #16
damianryt

yeah we had a look at adding the camber kit etc to it with the springs fitted to it and it didnt need it, it just needed a proper alignment, but i wasnt happy at how low it sat, so some standard xr springs went in that they had laying around which was handy!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
hey guys as the titles says, im having the joys of having the death wobbles whenever im sitting on the freeway at anything over 95km/h

-Its been fitted with some sort of Pedders front spring/Shocker setup (unknown) but the lowest point is probably 80mm and thats from the K-frame/sway bar area
-the rear has similar shocks and sits about 110mm from the ground,

The steering wheel doesn't seem to shake so its doesnt seem to be an alignment issue, it more feels like the whole car is vibrating at speeds, ive tried it in different gears (auto) and still does it regardless of rev's, it does seem to taper out sometimes which is abit unusual!!

-Also i dont know if this is related but during slow/dry steering the front suspension makes sort of like a knocking/snapping noise sometimes but never when im driving?! guessing this will be some sort of worn out link issue

-So far the plan of attack is that ive purchased a set of superlow springs for the front to hopefully bring it up to the same level as the rear,
-Im getting new tyres fitted, (factory tickford 17 inch rims)
-Im also dropping it off to my local mechanic for him to check gearbox mount/engine mounts/ and tail shaft etc,

Any idea's on what it could be and if anyone else has been fortunate enough to have there other half be slightly aroused while on the freeway!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Ohh and soon to have pictures up!

HI , with you saying 'the whole car vibrates', it almost sounds like the main driveshaft ( between your dif and tranny ) might be out of balance !. Might even have a worn out universal joint on either end of it too. cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #18
Day-mow
rexnet

uni joint?

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 02:13 AM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
uni joint?
with it moving to the front when you rotated your tyres it can't be a uni joint ( the 2 flexible joinnts in the tail shaft) it will be the rim as the tyre bloke said

Rides: