Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cluster or sender

Put a tank of juice in the ute tonight and when i pulled out of the servo I noticed the fuel light was on thought thats strange just put a full tank in It and I can feel the weight of the full tank.

Anyway got to a mates house had a chat for a bit then I went home driving home i noticed the fuel light on again then the gauge rose ever so slightly then stayed there then showed a ful tank then i got to a red light and the gauge is showing empty again with the fuel light on then it went up a bit then full and back down.

The low fuel alrm wasn't going off and didn't do the 80km's left till empty so if the alarm isn't going off this tells me that the fuel gauge is stuffed cause to my understanding if the sender was stuffed then the low fuel alarm should be beeping and saying 80km's till empty.

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

sender definitely.

If using the dash diagnostic mode ... you can read the sender impedence either in buffered mode or instant. One way of telling there is a problem is on the instant section it will read outside of your impedance range. Need to find that out though ... i knew what it used to be for the factory LPG models ... but not for petrol.

When a gauge goes empty ... it will slowly rise ... and takes 15 minutes to do a full sweep back to Full ... as the gauge is buffered (I think it mentions it in the Owner's Manual as well.).

When the sender thinks it is empty it drops immediately ... and you won't get the "80km to empty warning" ... just the red light/empty warning chime.

From memory ... the sender sends it info to the ECU ... and then the cluster gets all details from the ECU via a serial link ... so the sender is not connected directly to the cluster anyway.

All this changed later with the B-series when they went to a CAN-Bus setup.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheere mate does anyone know what a sender and pump is worth from ford I like genuine parts on my cars mightaswell do the pump while I'm in there it is 10 years old.
Old 20-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am going through exact thing in my au2 xr8 ute. i thought it was my dash because the DTE was different to gauge so i swapped cluster with one from my xr8 sedan and same problem. ford is about $370 for sender and pump unit. you used to be able to buy sender seperate apparently but not any more
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My mechanic did one not too long ago for one of the forum members as I think he was having the same issue ... and from memory the sender is all in the same unit that drops into the tank.

Probably best to ask around different spare parts departments I guess.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah like i said I'll do the pump at the same time as I wanna put a new pump in while its all apart
Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cluster or sender

my falcon just started having the same problem. Is this job able to be done yourself or are u just best off paying someone to do it?
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
sender definitely.

If using the dash diagnostic mode ... you can read the sender impedence either in buffered mode or instant. One way of telling there is a problem is on the instant section it will read outside of your impedance range. Need to find that out though ... i knew what it used to be for the factory LPG models ... but not for petrol.

When a gauge goes empty ... it will slowly rise ... and takes 15 minutes to do a full sweep back to Full ... as the gauge is buffered (I think it mentions it in the Owner's Manual as well.).

When the sender thinks it is empty it drops immediately ... and you won't get the "80km to empty warning" ... just the red light/empty warning chime.

From memory ... the sender sends it info to the ECU ... and then the cluster gets all details from the ECU via a serial link ... so the sender is not connected directly to the cluster anyway.

All this changed later with the B-series when they went to a CAN-Bus setup.
they use the same range gas or petrol. I played around with getting an aftermarket system to work with a factory gauge when it was on gas and ford have senders that are different from standard aftermarket ones I managed to fit the sender with the correct range and all was well

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 04:02 AM   #9
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have a look on evilbay. i got a new pump for the wifes car and think it was about $80, havnt had a problem with it yet
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

I got the same problem kinda, but only when the fuel tank is full, after 50ish k's it works normally. Other problem i have is it reads the gas level evey time i start it (gas or petrol) unless i flick it from acc-ON a couple times untill it reads the petrol level.

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post