Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-10-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Default au & BA stuff

hey guys, looking at an AU & a BA side by side today i noticed that the doors are exactly the same, would this meen that the door trims from a BA would fit onto an AU door?

what other body parts are interchangeable??

(i posted this in another thread, but no one has viewed it yet, so i thought i would ask you blokes here first.)

cheers
rob

sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

door trims would most likely not fit due to the ends of the dash being different.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
sfr rob

ok.. yeah i thought so! :

i am still trying to decide on what i want to do with my interior... i got full black interior, BUT the dash and control shroud part in the middle... its still grey.

maybe if i sell both my sets of interior i can get some nice TS50 interior...
Old 25-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #4
Twisted
Contributing Member

I know that the seats wont fit as the mounts are located in slightly different position.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have the black forte interior and i think it looks great. I really don't like the grey (no offence to anyone with grey) but it reminds me of an EF taxi..
I'd paint your centre stack (radio surround) black or get one out of a wrecked AU1 classic or XLS ute, they are coloured black iirc.
I thinka TS50 interior would be hell expensive to buy from ford.. if they still make them.. and it would be hard to find a wrecked T series. Personally i'd put in the black interior that you have
Old 25-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
sfr rob

yeah mate! i might just bite the bullet and stick it in... need to fix up the front left though, looks like a dog got stuck into the bottom coner of it, which could be fixed with some trim on the bottom ( i have seen some AU's with it ).

can you get black front interior without power windows??
Old 25-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the AUII XL utes came with a black interior then yes you can, otherwise all other AUII's come with front power windows
Old 25-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #8
sfr rob

my brother had a series II xls ute.... just trying to remember back that far... i cant remember if he had grey or black interior though!!!!
Old 25-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XLS would have electric windows man. Oi i just read up on the AUII XL (which would have wind up windows) and they only came with the grey interior.. damn!
looks like you might have to dye your existing ones black or get front electric windows
(go elec windows imo )
Old 25-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
sfr rob

oh no.. sorry you didnt get what i ment...

i have got power window trims, and i bought the power window motors, so its all there just need to put it in...
i had a half assed attempt at it, found where everything needs to go, where the loom is, which i need to swap with the one i got with the trims....

the thing is... i cant fit my hands into the small gaps anywhere, quotes from auto elecs are around the $500 mark to chuck them in... along with my cruise control kit i got.

so i got all the parts... just need to fit it all!
wish i waited and bought a series 3 falcon!!!!!

cheers
rob
Old 25-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #11
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol.. rob you could have waited to buy an AU3, but then you wouldn't of proved to everyone how good an AU1 forte could look
Old 25-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #12
sfr rob

hahahaha...
'forte'
dont say that!
i cringe everytime i hear it! LOL

hey how are you coming along with your car mate???
whens the kit go on?
Old 25-10-2005, 11:06 PM   #13
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol forte..
I own a forte, base models rule! :sm_headba
the kit will go on when i can find about $800 to put it on :(
there just a bit happening at the moment with schoolies, then my cd player that just packed it in, then i'm going on a south pacific cruise in feb.. so its been put off. (i know, i'm bloody slack aren't i.. lol)
I'm gonna try book it in for a new 2.5"catback for next week tomorrow, then i wanna try get some DBA slotteds for it too. The new head unit goes in tomorrow too, will post a couple of pics when its done.

So there you have it, its coming along slowly but surely.. lol
rob, are you on msn man?
Glenn
Old 25-10-2005, 11:47 PM   #14
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
hey guys, looking at an AU & a BA side by side today i noticed that the doors are exactly the same, would this meen that the door trims from a BA would fit onto an AU door?

what other body parts are interchangeable??

(i posted this in another thread, but no one has viewed it yet, so i thought i would ask you blokes here first.)

cheers
rob
Hey Rob, remember the conversation you & I had about the differences from AU-BA when we were staring into my engine bay??? Probably not, but I mentioned that I spent some time at 00 motorsport when they were building the first BA V8 supercar, & they had an AU shell alongside to compare rollcages, I asked Alan (Heaphy) & Oscar Firen.....can't spell his name, (he's with TKR now I think), what the major differences were between the 2 models. Anyhoo their comparison concluded that only the doors were interchangable. Here's a little known fact, the roof turret/skin & the windscreen is also a different shape/design, the roof on the BA, when you compare it to AU is much flatter, especially across the top of the windscreen. As has been said, the doortrims will not interchange. As you mentioned on another thread, GO BUY THE BA XR, you know you wanna!!!
:
Old 26-10-2005, 12:14 AM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

AU + BA doors are physically the same but the interior trims arent, as Glenn said it is due to the dash.

Re the interior, have a look at FTG - they have a number of good interiors and even if you only got an AU 2/3 forte interior, you can still use that as a good base to modify. LG's car is a perfect example of this - stock trims but with a few touches that make it look fantastic.
Old 26-10-2005, 08:49 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

OK ... I have an AUII XLS ute ... and it has black interior ... power windows ... the centre stereo consol however is a very dark grey (kinda like Anthracite).

No pics though ... sorry about that.

But everything is black ... the trim inserts in the doors have like a black/blue pattern through it (but will be looking at retrimming this later) ... and the strip in the dash on the passenger side is grey as well (a nice accent though to the nearly all black interior)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 10:29 AM   #17
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Here's a little known fact, the roof turret/skin & the windscreen is also a different shape/design, the roof on the BA, when you compare it to AU is much flatter, especially across the top of the windscreen.
:
i noticed that when looking at my car and my dads. The AU windscreen is more rounded on the edges where the ba one is more squarish. I think the AU/BA utes and wagons still share the same windscreen don't they?
Old 26-10-2005, 06:47 PM   #18
sfr rob

some good reading!

DOK, no i dont remember that converstation, mind like a syve ( that how ya spell it?), yeah i had a test drive of an XR6 today at coffee ford, its OK, not mind blowing, still prefer the AU though. There is an UNREAL red XR8 there too, a TE50 herrord customised, and a couple of others in there!!

i think i might just stick with my car for a while, and re-evaluate the situation mid next year!

got a quote on lowering today from dandy exhausts... $750 for king springs, and monroe shocks al round installed.... SUPER LOWS, price is the same.
does that sound ok?
Old 26-10-2005, 11:03 PM   #19
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob

got a quote on lowering today from dandy exhausts... $750 for king springs, and monroe shocks al round installed.... SUPER LOWS, price is the same.
does that sound ok?
Not sure, I usually do my own labour, but the guy I use to reset em is called Strut Fit, he's in Fowler rd, (first left on Sth Gippy Hwy from Princes). Would pay to give him a call as I know he will help you, he would be cheaper me thinx cause most places (like Dandy exhaust) get them done there so effectively, you're eliminating the middle guy.
:
Old 26-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #20
sfr rob

yeah, thinking about it more, it seems a BIT to much...
i was thinking more around the $600 tops mark!

i will agve to give that bloke a crack, see what he can do for me

thanks
mate

cheer
rob
Old 26-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Rob, the springs are around $130 a pair. Shocks are about $120 pair for the rears, and $120 each for the front. So far that's 260 in springs and 360 in shocks = $620. So $130 fitting is only 2 hours labour - it would take you around 4 hours to do at home. $750 is a fair price, not great, but fair.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 06:20 PM   #22
sfr rob

sweet, thanks JC... yeah i needed some clearing up with that price, i wasnt sure if he was having a lend of me or not...

thanks
rob