Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Dustin_80

Default Problem with buying off ebay US

If you want something badly off ebay US but the buyer posts to US only what are your options?

I have tried messaging the seller but he seems to have disabled incoming messages of all kinds because it wont let me.

And unfortunately I dont know any Americans I can count on to bid on my behalf then forward the goods on to me.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Problem with buying off ebay US

Then I think your out of luck.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wack a post up in the pub or summin, lots of yanks on here, maybe one is willin to do ya a favour, i have done it before
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Kryton

http://www.viaddress.com/ and theres many more just like it - have a look around and see which one suits your needs.
Either that or shop with another seller.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
sudszy
Banned

You could bid on the item and then if you win it Im sure the seller may be forced to communicate with you, if they still wont send to Aus or demand an outrageous sum then you could just refuse to pay.

My experience with non paying ebay bidders is nothing much seems to happen to the bidder and this case the seller might just decide that its worth posting it to you rather than do all the ridiculous time wasting "resolution' that ebay puts one of those disputes through.

More often than not, people simply dont send overseas because they think its too hard, but really its no more difficult then looking up a their local post website punching in the weight and address and getting a price to post.

Ive never tried it on as Ive suggested, however, I have contacted plenty of sellers to see if they will post to aus and so far I have had a 100% success rate in people agreeing. They realise that for anyone to bother asking, they have to be keen. Likewise Ive had plenty of overseas enquires for items when i only made them available to aus and the overseas bidder has come through.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Freight forwarder.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

www.myus.com
Old 11-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I seem to have found a lot of US ebayers unwilling to sell stuff to go overseas because they are unsure of what to do! They dont seem to realise you just go to post office and fill out a form.

If the seller has only US buyers on his item, then your really out of luck.
If you bid and win and he doesnt sell it to you, then eBay will probably side with the seller, especially if he has in the item description, "only sells to US residents " or something like that...

I cant see how he can disable incoming messages..

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Dustin_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
I cant see how he can disable incoming messages..

Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

www.comgateway.com

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in terms of getting it here I dont have any thing to add to the above posts, but I gotta say if the seller wont accept messages I think would give this one a miss

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
in terms of getting it here I dont have any thing to add to the above posts, but I gotta say if the seller wont accept messages I think would give this one a miss

you can block messages from outside your country. AFAIK

I had the same with a UK seller. I changed my primary address to my UK one and my messages were sent through. I explained I wanted postage to a uk address but I was in Oz, hence the randomness.

worked a treat. Could a US member see if he can receive messages on your behalf perhaps?
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
You could bid on the item and then if you win it Im sure the seller may be forced to communicate with you, if they still wont send to Aus or demand an outrageous sum then you could just refuse to pay.
Unless the system has changed, if the listing doesn't offer shipping to Aus (or which ever country) and they haven't blocked you in their settings, when you win, the seller doesn't need to communicate with you. When they start an unpaid item dispute (what ever it's called now) there used to be option specifically for this.

Non payers used to get a strike too, don't know if they still do. If they buyer got 3 strikes they may have been suspended. Average type buyers would normally rant and rave and have a strike removed but repeat offenders would eventually be dealt with.

With changes made to the the unpaid item dispute a few years ago, it was widely known that a non payer could type any gibberish in response to a dispute to avoid a strike. No idea if that still works.

IMO (as that of many eBay friends), eBay will generally take whatever path makes the most revenue for them and willingly screw anyone in the process. It means either bad buyers remain longer than they should or shonky sellers are allowed to continue trading longer than they should. (Discussing that is a can of worms too).

There have been a couple of cases that I vaguely remember where eBay has been alerted to scams and taken no action for excessive periods. On one occassion, they claimed while the seller was paying his statement they had no reason to believe there was a problem. I remember one guy disappeared overseas with about 200k in sales not being supplied (possibly pre paypal protection policies... good luck with them too).

Last edited by FgNewbie; 11-06-2011 at 06:09 PM.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the seller doesnt want to post OS
Buy from somewhere else
I had an add on evilbay for a "Pick up only" on a set of rims
(I honestly couldnt be bothered mucking around with frieght/postage or whatever,ya know time = money)
Anywho
A bloke from the other side of brissie bought the rims
Paid for the rims
Guess what ,"Can u organise frieght" ???
I sent him local courier Ph Nos,email addys
Needless to say theyre still here after 12 months
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

www.priceusa.com.au

Person who runs the business lives in Bendigo and has partners who live in the USA who buy what you want, it gets shipped to them, they ship it to you here in Australia.

I've used their service before, I'd give them 10/10 for service and you are always in the loop.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #16
J_Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Never ever use these idiots.
Insanely expensive to have just pocket sized items shipped to you.
They charge up to the next kilo or something. So I bought two other items to bring it closer to the minimum weight and the price doubled?
Rip off.
Avoid.
J_Putz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #17
gencer

i brought many things of ebay US it just a matter of finding out how much postage cost and in your case i think the buyers has blocked the country only us
gencer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #18
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Problem with buying off ebay US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin_80
If you want something badly off ebay US but the buyer posts to US only what are your options?

I have tried messaging the seller but he seems to have disabled incoming messages of all kinds because it wont let me.

And unfortunately I dont know any Americans I can count on to bid on my behalf then forward the goods on to me.
I am importing engine parts while the dollar is strong , I have never had a problem with Fed Ex, USPS, or the pick & pay system. I make it clear to the seller, if he is willing to ship, or obtain shipping costs & quotes ,I am more than happy to send the extra monies to him. I have also imported hand tools & clothing, no drama's whatsoever. If this guy does not respond, well you know what to do.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post