Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 31-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Bremmario
Starter Motor

Default Fiesta WS hatch 2011 Stereo upgrade time!

Hey all,

Just picked up a ford fiesta ws hatch 2011 model for $10k + my old 11 year old, hail written off suzuki baleno.

While the baleno was fairly standard, one area it demolished the fiesta is the stereo (and ease of install!).

I simply can't hack the standard stereo in the fiesta... I loved the fact I could just stick a 16gb usb in my old stereo and it would fire up any time I turned the engine on. Whereas with the stock fiesta I have to plug my iphone into the audio jack, turn it on, navigate to ipod etc and not forget to take my phone with my when I leave the car + it drains the battery (unless I stick it on constant charge)...

I need:
1. A Head deck which with the following functionality (in decreasing order of important) - USB, GPS, bluetooth, DVD, Digital TV (not important)
2.Replacement speakers to go in the existing pods - splits for the front - I think i'll just move the stock fronts to the back, I never sit in the back!

I currently have:
1. 2 channel 1000watt KAC 7252 kenwood amp (previously ran my 12" sub)
2. 12" JBL sub in box (more than adequate for my bass needs)

I've done some researched on the web at large and also this forum and I'm still at a loss... I saw trento's post which was excellent but not quite applicable to my situation...

I've seen a few dodgy looking replacement head decks such as:
1. http://www.sundaybuy.com/Car-DVD-Pla...-2938_753.html - has all the specs but... reliability/quality are anyone's guess
2. http://www.tradesolution.hk/e/ptxweb...oduct/364.html - probably horseshit
I also saw a double din facia rack thingy for 100 pounds. That would lead me to believe I'd lose a hell of a lot of functionality due to the fiesta's retarded integrated LCD system....?

Anyone have any ideas as to the options I have?

If I manage to successfully solve this I'll post details and step by step instructions...

Failing that I'm just going to go to an audio store and throw cash at them...

Bremmario is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Default Re: Fiesta WS hatch 2011 Stereo upgrade time!

Have you looked into a plug in blue tooth? Griffin do 1 that might work.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

I wouldn't touch the cheap Chinese stuff (the links you posted).

A guy on one of the UK forums has upgraded the head unit ... you can see photos here:
http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums...nally-evolved/

You can buy facia kits to make the install look professional. This site in the UK has the kits available with quite a bit of info:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/inde...Path=3734_3739
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
Bremmario
Starter Motor

The griffin thing doesn't really solve any of my issues...

As for the UK forum and facia kit solutions - will I lose any functionality? I haven't fully explored all the menu settings etc that the ****** stock deck has...

100+ pounds for a rack is pretty steep. God damn ford...
Old 01-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
trento
Audiophile

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ete+ws+st ereo

This is what I did for my stereo. If you want full ipod control with the car look in to fitting a zetec stereo.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Bremmario
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trento
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296590&highlight=complete+ws+st ereo

This is what I did for my stereo. If you want full ipod control with the car look in to fitting a zetec stereo.
I saw your thread, excellent stuff and I'll probably be referring to it at great length.

I had previously considered this and I've done a few searches for the zetec head unit details but came up blank...

What does the zetec head unit come with? I'd really like usb and gps if possible. I'd much rather just use a huge usb stick than a misc. ipod/iphone etc. Plus I need to try and find out if, with the zetec, I can upgrade the stock speakers (at least the front ones) and run them off the deck as I only have a 2 channel amp that I'm going to use for my sub...
Old 01-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
trento
Audiophile

From memory the zetec headunit has a bigger screen and a usb port down beside the AUX input. This allows you to plug in a usb or Portable Harddrive and navigate through it using the steering wheel controls. The other option is the Sony Headunit designed for the fiesta. I didn't have any luck tracking one down as it was brand new when i was doing my install but there might be an opportunity to get one now, although it still doesn't have GPS. If you want all of the options you listed you will probably have to go for one of the ebay specials and hope it works.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Omarko

so has anyone actualy bought one of the units listed in the first post ? I am interested in getting one as well.

also, can someone clarify, when I see this listing :

http://www.tradesolution.hk/e/ptxweb...oduct/364.html

what actualy comes int he package? Is it a plug and play installation or do I need to buy anything else ? Reason I ask is people refer to facias etc.

If I do need a new facia, which one would I need to get and from where?

thanks

PS: sorry to hijack the thread
Omarko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post