Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Angry Samsung plasma smashed display repair unhappy Jan

Afternoon all, I don't usually unload publicly but I'm throwing this one out there. Maybe its a industry thing, but my happiness with Samsung is not at a all time high.

Buy a 58" 3D plasma mid 2010 just released cost around $2700. Beautiful TV physically and brilliant quality pic. Except....pink speckles on the screen out of the box. Anyway, go through the warranty process and the display is replaced. Not the best start to our relationship. Anyway...clock goes forward to last September. My youngest swings something at the display and smashes it. Annoying, but its only a TV and at 2yrs, its just a big shiny thing to whack

Anyway, get it in for repair thinking no worries, take it on the chin teach me to have kids and large screen TV's....$2800 to replace the display. When a new 59" model of the same series is under $2K.

If its an industry thing, its a rip. If its not, so be it. But Samsung is not on my replacement shopping list.

Thank you, I feel better now But I still dont have my TV!

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Samsung plasma smashed display repair unhappy Jan

Generally the way electrical appliances are these days, its it out of warranty its not worth fixing. Think you will find every brand will be the same.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Vent away venty!

Did you pay for it to get repaired or are you going to just get a new one? Silly how the cost of repairing one is dearer than a new one.

Electronic gear is a rip in general! We were discussing printers yesterday at work as there was a little Canon printer in a catalogue for $38. Problem with those things is the printer may be cheap...but the ink certainly isn't! Cheaper to buy a new printer everytime the ink needs replacing

Cheers
Col
Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

way of the modern world unfortunately.....throwaway society and all that!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Problem is, the screen is a major component of the system. It will probably take up 70% of the cost of the item as a whole.

Once you take into consideration the cost per hr of a western repair person to take apart, repair and re-assemble there is the last 20-30%.

It's a pain, I know.....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

I do understand your point but:

The screen is 95% of the device.
Removal and fitting of a new panel would cost a fair amount, while the automated process at the factory would cost far less.

Resulting in the fact that a new(er) unit can come in at a lower price than a repaired one.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you have insurance ?

Contents insurance would cover the repair/replacement cost.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Vent away venty!

Did you pay for it to get repaired or are you going to just get a new one? Silly how the cost of repairing one is dearer than a new one.

Electronic gear is a rip in general! We were discussing printers yesterday at work as there was a little Canon printer in a catalogue for $38. Problem with those things is the printer may be cheap...but the ink certainly isn't! Cheaper to buy a new printer everytime the ink needs replacing

Cheers
Col
i said the same to the missus its better to get a new printer when they run out of ink and take the empty one to cashies cant loose really
Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy a slab and move on. It's just a replaceable TV. Life is short.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
Buy a slab and move on. It's just a replaceable TV. Life is short.
+1 , life revolves too much around the telly ,
Challenge to ALL aff members, turn it off for a week and see how much better your guality of life is ?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just claim it on your home and contents insurance if your have accidental damage coverage.
As an example, the motor in our air conditioner has just burnt out. Quoted $1200 to fix. Going to cost up $100 for our excess.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why did you authorise repairs at that price level without first seeing what it would cost to replace the thing?. Makes no sense....The cost of TV's is dropping as fast as teh US dollar a. The 42" LG plasma I bought in 2007 for $2,300 you can now get for $500 new
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A decent plasma can be had for a few hundred $$ these days, you're better off just cutting your losses and buying a new one. In reality, you're better off without the bloody thing. I haven't watched TV in years and don't miss Mel & Kochie and all those other awful fake people getting in my face every day.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise

Cheers
Col

Errr...you will find they only half fill the inks that the printer comes with.
They call it a starter pack....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

It is a sad but real reflection of our current society that a $3,000 electrical device is disposable.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With any brand you will be paying that cost for the screen. The only 2 companies that make the screen are Sony and LG (i think).

I pulled apart a cheapo DVD player the other day because of a jammed DVD, and the laser and dvd spinner were all branded Sony.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post