Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #121
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Default Re: New Ecoboost 3.5L Twin Turbo Engines, Future of Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Next Mondeo is still CD technically, and whilst it is the first "One Ford" large car, in essence it is a major update on the current Mondeo whilst CD3 Fusion gets dumped and takes 99% of the car.
That's actually promising. Is Ford of Europe going to lead the overhaul? I don't want the car becoming Americanised. Maybe I'm being rather pessimistic regarding these matters? Was the Fiesta released under the One Ford banner? That car was a resounding success here and in Europe, and a relative failure over in Yankeeland.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #122
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
It'll most likely be a rubbish drive, it will probably weigh two tonnes and have less interior space than a Mondeo, the interior and exterior design will almost certainly stink of America (including that MyFord Sync Microsoft garbage),
I really think youre clouded by what the current SUV Taurus represents. Next Taurus will be one of 2 things - enlarged EUCD2 with V6 engines, or something targeted to the Chinese market which really could be anything, even RWD.

Quote:
and the car will definitely come with a V6 and no manual. No thanks Ford US! We don't want it here!
And what the hell do you think a 2016 Falcon, even developed off E8 would have? I6 has no future. Nobody buys manuals anymore as it is.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #123
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We dont even know what 2016 Taurus will be.
Well it will be American,
It will be based on Ford’s latest large car platform (whether that be the D3/D4 or whatever)
It will be FWD or AWD, with the EB4, V6, & EB6 engines
It will share it’s platform with the Explorer, Flex, and Large Lincolns.
It will be packed with gizmos like inflatable seatbelts,
The interior will be a crass American interpretation of Luxury,
Steering will be feather light,
And it will float through corners like a hovercraft.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #124
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
It will be packed with gizmos like inflatable seatbelts
Until you've been in a serious enough accident, this sounds stupid but I wish my Focus had these when I totalled it, think about it, all your weight is pushing forwards on the belt and the pre-tensioner is ripping it back in to keep you in your seat, so pretty much you're putting a ******** of pressure on that thin strip with your torso.

It hurts, a LOT.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #125
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Until you've been in a serious enough accident, this sounds stupid but I wish my Focus had these when I totalled it, think about it, all your weight is pushing forwards on the belt and the pre-tensioner is ripping it back in to keep you in your seat, so pretty much you're putting a ******** of pressure on that thin strip with your torso.

It hurts, a LOT.
I didn't say it was stupid.
Yank cars have repeatedly led the way in many such inovations, it's just a pity the underlying car is so crap that you're more likely to have an accident in the first place.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #126
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
I didn't say it was stupid.
Yank cars have repeatedly led the way in many such inovations, it's just a pity the underlying car is so crap that you're more likely to have an accident in the first place.
The most important active safety feature a car has is its steering and handling. When driving a Toyota, I felt like I was going to run over a kerb every time I turned a corner as I had literally no idea where the front wheels were pointed.
Old 18-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #127
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
And what the hell do you think a 2016 Falcon, even developed off E8 would have? I6 has no future. Nobody buys manuals anymore as it is.
I'm not so sure that nobody drives manuals any more. I have no idea about where you live, but here in Brisbane (at least near where I live) around one half of cars seem to be manual. In country areas (some may describe Brisbane as being a country area) this ratio only climbs higher. However, when visiting Melbourne, I noticed that manuals seem to be rather thin on the ground. Nonetheless, reports of the manual transmission's death have been highly exaggerated; people have been saying the same thing since the introduction of three speed autos, four speed autos, five speed autos, six speed autos, etc.

As for the motor issue, I proposed earlier in this thread that the Falcon engine lineup be Ecoboost 4 and Coyote V8 only.
Quote:
I'm personally a fan of the I4 and V8 only idea (I detailed the reasons why a few months ago on this forum). My ideal model mix would be:

Falcon 500 (Mondeo LX spec level):
* Standard I4T manual, live axle, no cost auto (column shift available)
* Optional 'GS'/'XR' pack with firmer suspension, bodykit, 6 gauges (something I really miss!), sports steering wheel, double wishbone IRS
* Optional 5.0 315 V8, manual/auto
Futura (Mondeo LX with a few extras, such as climate control)
* I4T manual/auto
Fairmont (Mondeo Zetec spec)
* I4T manual/auto
* Optional GS package (as described above)
* Optional 315 V8 manual/auto
Fairmont GXL (spec above G6E, with tech found in Mondeo Titanium)
* Standard Tickford suspension and double wishbone IRS
* I4T manual/auto- perhaps an optional higher-boost (think Focus ST) version?
* Optional 335 V8 manual/auto
Falcon GT (not FPV GT, Fairmont GXL spec)
* Manual V8, go crazy here (maybe an auto can be offered to increase sales but it would go against the spirit of the car)

Forget about FPV and bring back Tickford. Stick some Ticky wings on the GS/V8 variants.

The V8 can be the V8 found in the GS/GT. This allows for a 4 tier engine line up, like in the good old days.
As for a diesel, forget the 2.7 V6. I don't want a V6 anywhere near a Falcon. How about the Ranger's 5 cyl? It seems to deliver much better figures. It could be made optional across the range.
Old 18-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #128
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The most important active safety feature a car has is its steering and handling. When driving a Toyota, I felt like I was going to run over a kerb every time I turned a corner as I had literally no idea where the front wheels were pointed.
Starting in the late 60’s & 70’s, Toyota set out to become exceptional by making cars that were well built and reliable. For decades now they have made the most well-built, most reliable, and most utterly ugly/boring/atrocious cars. They appeal to governments, and people whose most excitement comes from choosing which pair of beige pants to put on.
I believe that Toyota spent many years investigating the link between cars and the road (commonly referred to as “suspension”.) In the end, they concluded it was simply a myth.
Old 18-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #129
borough

Quote:
I'm not so sure that nobody drives manuals any more. I have no idea about where you live, but here in Brisbane (at least near where I live) around one half of cars seem to be manual. In country areas (some may describe Brisbane as being a country area) this ratio only climbs higher. However, when visiting Melbourne, I noticed that manuals seem to be rather thin on the ground. Nonetheless, reports of the manual transmission's death have been highly exaggerated; people have been saying the same thing since the introduction of three speed autos, four speed autos, five speed autos, six speed autos, etc.

As for the motor issue, I proposed earlier in this thread that the Falcon engine lineup be Ecoboost 4 and Coyote V8 only.
No V6? May as well just kill off the car and import Mondeo. For a car as large as a Falcon I want a NA 6 running on LPG.

The best outcome post 2016 I can see is that the Falcon will be based on a world wide large car and be RWD and keep the I6.

What I see happening is the Falcon will be discontinued and replaced with either the Mondeo or a fully imported FWD Taurus. If that happens my next car will most likely be a Commodore assuming they are still being made.
borough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #130
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by borough
No V6? May as well just kill off the car and import Mondeo. For a car as large as a Falcon I want a NA 6 running on LPG.

The best outcome post 2016 I can see is that the Falcon will be based on a world wide large car and be RWD and keep the I6.

What I see happening is the Falcon will be discontinued and replaced with either the Mondeo or a fully imported FWD Taurus. If that happens my next car will most likely be a Commodore assuming they are still being made.
Holden makes a perfectly good car for your needs then. I personally don't want a V6 anywhere near my beloved Falcon.

A high revving, harsh V6 is a completely inadequate replacement for a low revving, smooth I6. The EcoBoost 4 is not a perfect solution, but it makes peak torque at under 2000 RPM (and more of it than a naturally aspirated V6). It may not be quite as silky smooth as a Ford/BMW I6, but it comes fairly close. A 'V6 rattle' is unbefitting of a relaxed cruiser like the Falcon. It also allows for fuel economy figures that are actually achievable (you don't have to wring the engine's neck to get some performance), and may go a long way to making the Falcon a viable choice to those concerned about running costs but unwilling to go for LPG.
Old 19-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #131
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Starting in the late 60’s & 70’s, Toyota set out to become exceptional by making cars that were well built and reliable. For decades now they have made the most well-built, most reliable, and most utterly ugly/boring/atrocious cars. They appeal to governments, and people whose most excitement comes from choosing which pair of beige pants to put on.
I believe that Toyota spent many years investigating the link between cars and the road (commonly referred to as “suspension”.) In the end, they concluded it was simply a myth.
Hilarious!
Old 19-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #132
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Holden makes a perfectly good car for your needs then. I personally don't want a V6 anywhere near my beloved Falcon.

A high revving, harsh V6 is a completely inadequate replacement for a low revving, smooth I6. The EcoBoost 4 is not a perfect solution, but it makes peak torque at under 2000 RPM (and more of it than a naturally aspirated V6). It may not be quite as silky smooth as a Ford/BMW I6, but it comes fairly close. A 'V6 rattle' is unbefitting of a relaxed cruiser like the Falcon. It also allows for fuel economy figures that are actually achievable (you don't have to wring the engine's neck to get some performance), and may go a long way to making the Falcon a viable choice to those concerned about running costs but unwilling to go for LPG.
I think you've experienced too many GM V6's. Those and something from Toyota, Honda and Ford are worlds apart in quality.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #133
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm personally a fan of the I4 and V8 only idea (I detailed the reasons why a few months ago on this forum). My ideal model mix would be:

Falcon 500 (Mondeo LX spec level):
* Standard I4T manual, live axle, no cost auto (column shift available)
* Optional 'GS'/'XR' pack with firmer suspension, bodykit, 6 gauges (something I really miss!), sports steering wheel, double wishbone IRS
* Optional 5.0 315 V8, manual/auto
Futura (Mondeo LX with a few extras, such as climate control)
* I4T manual/auto
Fairmont (Mondeo Zetec spec)
* I4T manual/auto
* Optional 315 V8 manual/auto
Fairmont GXL (spec above G6E, with tech found in Mondeo Titanium)
* Standard Tickford suspension and double wishbone IRS
* I4T manual/auto- perhaps an optional higher-boost (think Focus ST) version?
* Optional 335 V8 manual/auto
Falcon GT (not FPV GT, Fairmont GXL spec)
* Manual V8, go crazy here (maybe an auto can be offered to increase sales but it would go against the spirit of the car)

Forget about FPV and bring back Tickford. Stick some Ticky wings on the GS/V8 variants.

The V8 can be the V8 found in the GS/GT. This allows for a 4 tier engine line up, like in the good old days.
As for a diesel, forget the 2.7 V6. I don't want a V6 anywhere near a Falcon. How about the Ranger's 5 cyl? It seems to deliver much better figures. It could be made optional across the range.
I am just wondering if the word processor you are typing these posts on is a VIC-20 with black and white TV for a screen and a 300 baud dial up modem?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #134
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Even today, the bulk of Falcon sales are still I-6, whether the Ecoboost I-4 eats into that equation remains to be seen.
The immediate problem for Ford is to get Falcon sales firing with strong, targeted advertising campaigns.
It's as though Ford completely forgot to advertise the new FGII, I'm glad to see that is finally happening....

Some improvement, maybe 1500-1800 Falcons, about 800 utes and around 1500 Territory this month would ease pressure..
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #135
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Even today, the bulk of Falcon sales are still I-6, whether the Ecoboost I-4 eats into that equation remains to be seen.
The immediate problem for Ford is to get Falcon sales firing with strong, targeted advertising campaigns.
It's as though Ford completely forgot to advertise the new FGII, I'm glad to see that is finally happening....

Some improvement, maybe 1500-1800 Falcons, about 800 utes and around 1500 Territory this month would ease pressure..
900 Falcons, 350 utes and 1300 Territory would be pretty close to the mark I think.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #136
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
900 Falcons, 350 utes and 1300 Territory would be pretty close to the mark I think.
This isn't February again,
27 selling day this month compared to 23 in February, couple that with more radio
and TV advertising and I think we can allow ourselves to be a little more positive...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post