Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Default Load proportioning valve??

I have the dreaded brake squeil on my AU ute only when turning right and it actually goes away when turning left. it also is louder at higher speeds.

I have adjusted the handbrake way back so that it barely works to test if thats it and i dont think it is. the reason for this is that if i touch on the brakes then the noise stops but if i pull the handbrake it makes no difference.

I took apart the rear calipers and cleaned and re greased the slides as they were a bit stuck however the sliding pins were a bit rusty.

Now the noise is a bit worse, it seems, with some weight in the back of the ute, is it possible the load proprioning valve is stuffing me around? or should i try new caliper pins first.

13101093 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Load proportioning valve??

just a thought, in the past if i had an inkling it might be a bit of movement with the metal part of the pad or a pin or anti squeal plates against another metal part of the caliper making noise, i would rub the smallest of the smallest bit of graphite grease on the affected parts, and i mean small enough so it could`nt possibly get on the friction area and affect braking !!!
i would`nt bother with replacing the pin, i would just lube it, i don`t know about the valve(it seems unlikely to me).
the only other thing i can think of is there might be a bit of runout in the rotor, it might have small high/s spot on it causing a glazed spot on the pad, so when you go around corner x with the slight flex of the axle the pad is touching the high spot on the rotor,
i don`t know mate, just theory.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

Sorry to enter thread but it kinda related to this I notice one of my caliper pin bolt rubbers has broken where do you get new ones?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ford spares, most brake parts places would have them, you could order them through repco/bursons,etc if they did`nt have them.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Do the AU utes actually run load proportioning valves? Must admit I never really paid much attention to the braking system but I didnt think they had one.
Old 24-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #6

yes my ute does have one, well it certainly looks like one. and i would not be suprised as mine is a 1 tonne, they might not have it on 3/4 tonne utes or XR's.

thanks mik, i think it definately a 'rotational' noise not pad vibration and the disks are 6 month old brembo ones so i dont think they have runout and i can not feel any wobble at all.

BHDOGS, i will be asking around for new pins and i might get new rubbers too if i am successful i will let you know but my first try will be a brake shop.

Last edited by 13101093; 24-08-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 24-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Kryton

Yes, the AU utes do run a LPV.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Im experiencing much of the same problem except after today, im hearing the same squeal while the car is NOT turning but going in a straight line! And mines a wagon... It has had the turning squeak for a couple of months now.

Rotational noise, squeak squeak squeak, co-relates with speed...applying the footbrake and handbrake do nothing to the sound. Doesn't do it everytime but often enough. Unsure of what the go here is.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
BHDOGS
Banned

Wheel bearings I'd say
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
hagarone

Only the 1 tonners run load proportioning valves.
hagarone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #11
toyotaxr8

Xr utes do not have a lpv fitted
Old 31-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #12

well the noise is persisting, so i will be trying new caliper pins first, then onto wheel bearings if the noise does not stop after that.
Old 31-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Let us know how you go!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post