Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #151
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crash. Old car versus...old car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
IMO, cars are that oversafe now that people put in less effort to be careful.
I remember an old magazine comic (possibly MAD magazine) that said you don't need airbags, crumple zones, or any other safety items in a car...just fit a six inch steel spike to the center of the steering wheel of every car and see how carefully everyone starts driving...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #152
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Talking about your oldies winding a P5 off the clock shows people werent better drivers back then. Would you wind ANY car new or old off the clock these days with your child in the back seat, even on an open speed limit road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
If new cars are as safe as manufacturers claim why wouldnt anyone ???
Personally i'd do it, drive at the vehicles top speed if I felt conditions were right and it was legal to do so, just not with my kids in the back. Alone though, yes in a heartbeat.

Thing is, on a road which has traffic coming in the opposite direction, trees, power poles etc (as opposed to a race track) if you have an accident at 200km/h it will mean certain death.

At least at 'normal' speeds you stand half a chance, better than zero anyway. Someone in this thread was T-boned at 100km/h and drove away. Try being T Boned (or T Boning someone else) at a true 150-200km/h and see who walks or drives away.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #153
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Just be thankfull that we don't have to drive in snow and ice.(well most of us) Have a look at some of these accidents, I don't think it would matter new or old car. And talk about driving to the conditions.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/oFkw5JFOmHk
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #154
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Personally i'd do it, drive at the vehicles top speed if I felt conditions were right and it was legal to do so, just not with my kids in the back. Alone though, yes in a heartbeat.

Thing is, on a road which has traffic coming in the opposite direction, trees, power poles etc (as opposed to a race track) if you have an accident at 200km/h it will mean certain death.

At least at 'normal' speeds you stand half a chance, better than zero anyway. Someone in this thread was T-boned at 100km/h and drove away. Try being T Boned (or T Boning someone else) at a true 150-200km/h and see who walks or drives away.

Trees?
Power Poles?
Other traffic?

You have obviously never been to NT............
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #155
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I remember an old magazine comic (possibly MAD magazine) that said you don't need airbags, crumple zones, or any other safety items in a car...just fit a six inch steel spike to the center of the steering wheel of every car and see how carefully everyone starts driving...
I think it may have been this clip.

http://youtu.be/rcBoVgyKjH8
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #156
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post

Ive seen people in stationary cars getting hit an dieing ...
Ive seen low speed accidents where people have sustained major complications
Problem is 5 star safety ratings dont cover all accidents, they mainly cover documented crash tests
Accidents are that, not explained, not trained for and certainly not every 5 star rated car passenger will suffer no injuries in every crash
Theres an old saying,
A good driver will make a bad car look good, a good car will make a bad driver look good
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #157
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All five star cars are not created equal, bigger is still better. (but if you hit a large tree or a truck it makes little difference)
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #158
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
Ive seen people in stationary cars getting hit an dieing ...
Ive seen low speed accidents where people have sustained major complications
Problem is 5 star safety ratings dont cover all accidents, they mainly cover documented crash tests
Accidents are that, not explained, not trained for and certainly not every 5 star rated car passenger will suffer no injuries in every crash
Theres an old saying,
A good driver will make a bad car look good, a good car will make a bad driver look good
I often wonder whether manufacturers know how to "game" the tests, so that a car is more impressive in testing than in the "real world". I don't mean that the car is rated as safe when it isn't, just performs better than it should, in the way some cars seem far more frugal in official ratings than anyone can manage out on the road.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #159
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post

You have obviously never been to NT............
Ive been there...

Don't know about you guys, but the conditions out there are right enough for high speeds. NT is not like the rest of Aus...but most people do not know this, nor does GovCo (or they do and just turn the blind eye)..

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #160
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
All five star cars are not created equal, bigger is still better. (but if you hit a large tree or a truck it makes little difference)
MUARC does some very valuable real world analysis on actual crashes from police reports etc.....
http://www.monash.edu.au/miri/resear.../muarc304.html
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post