Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #61
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Sad state of affairs for Ford lovers

Hmm just out of curiosity the only box i unticked was "Ford"
Dont know what else your into but it came up with some different cars

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...sort=~Odometer

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #62
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I'm tentatively looking at buying a new daily (read second hand) car. So I toyed with the idea of a luxury Jap car, even a Euro but though "hey I'm a V8 dude at heart I may as well get a V8"

Well a V8 with auto, leather, under 60,000kms, 3 or 4 years old from a dealer (so I can trade in) for around $35K gives me basically no Ford. If I go to the dark side there a heaps of decent looking cars.

Being 40 this really is the second time my beloved Ford has let me down, first in the XF when the dropped the 8 and now again there are no affordable V8 options unless I go FPV, but I would blow my budget by a fair whack.

Probably why the Holden fan base is so much more prolific.

So no V8 for me, unless I go for an older boiler or stump up an extra 15K for an FPV.

Anyway rant over back to looking at Euros 4cyl turbos..
Well now you know how us inline six lovers feel.

At least you can actually buy a new or near new V8 Ford. Holden abandoned us completely 25 years ago, with other manufacturers soon following suit. Ford is one of only three manufacturers to keep faith in the ideal engine configuration, so well done to them.

Oh and for what it's worth, Holden's V8 is torqueless, it sounds almost as bad as the V6 (certainly no proper V8 rumble there), the throttle response is lousy (so the car feels gutless no matter how much power it has), and the steering and handling isn't up to what your BF has to offer.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #63
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't mind them, but I need a dealer car so I can trade as I don't want to be left without a car if I sell my current ride.

BUT

I think it's just a little overpriced for what the market is saying, but this has my attention.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-11466553&Cr=5

I just love the B series cars... I'll definitely look at this one Saturday...
Nice car,low kms
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #64
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't mind them, but I need a dealer car so I can trade as I don't want to be left without a car if I sell my current ride.

BUT

I think it's just a little overpriced for what the market is saying, but this has my attention.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-11466553&Cr=5

I just love the B series cars... I'll definitely look at this one Saturday...
I noticed there are no badges on the boot, double check whether they have been removed, or the boot was repaired at one point.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #65
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwag View Post
HAHA I wounder the reaction if I rock up on a building site in the Maserati..

Not a fan of those but i do like the Audi or 5 seies bMW or a C63.

I wonder if i can get a C63 for $40k....only kidding, but I've considered the older AMGs too, E55 springs to mind.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #66
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
I noticed there are no badges on the boot, double check whether they have been removed, or the boot was repaired at one point.
Well spotted, I just noticed no "GT" in the lower stripe too...could be the hint of a respray?

I'll check it out anyway.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #67
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERG_51 View Post
Nice car,low kms
Dreaming on price though.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #68
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Dreaming on price though.
Yeah I thought that too, but a quick search of similar cars with sililar kms puts the price around right.

The problem with GTs is you always seem to pay 5-10K more for pedigree like, ultra low kms, nice colour spec / colour.

Yeah I can get a flogged BF GT with 150K kms on the ODO serviced by old mate, no FPV paperwork as it was kept by the previous owner, stupid mods like a shaker or some cheap exhaust, scuffed interior, scrapes on the wheels, damaged body kit etc. etc. for around $30K private.

If everything checks out and it is in mint condition with all the FPV paperwork and under 20K kms on the ODO, service history, in a great colour, the ability to drive in in my old car and drive out with the new one, I can live with paying a premium.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #69
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

No the ones priced up there will just never sell, and if they do sell will be for 5-10k less than what the speculators/dreamers have on them I think is more likely....
Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #70
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
No the ones priced up there will just never sell, and if they do sell will be for 5-10k less than what the speculators/dreamers have on them I think is more likely....
You're right and that works in my favour, GT are certainly not cars being turned over day to day unless keenly priced. This will probablty give me the ability to spend a few hours looking at the car then walking away and having them chase me for the sale.

When trading in a car you always seem to get good price for the trade and pay over the market on the car or vica versa. I'll tell them up front I'm not interested in the price on the trade-in or the price on the car I'm buying. I'm only interested in the $$$ you want on top of my car. What they write on the receipt doesn't bother me as it's just a money shuffling exercise.

I also need to tell them I can buy a 2010 FG XR6T 50th Anniversary for $32K up the road or an F6 R-spec for $33K......I even prefer the 6T as it is so much more refined.

I'll print those ads out so I can have them with me when I look at this, make sure the sales guy knows I'm looking elsewhere for a deal.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #71
AU Mont
Banned

that BFII GT............. Fuel combined 15L..... wtf??

thats like 20L per 100km around town, wasnt this supposed to be a daily?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #72
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC View Post

Oh and for what it's worth, Holden's V8 is torqueless, it sounds almost as bad as the V6 (certainly no proper V8 rumble there), the throttle response is lousy (so the car feels gutless no matter how much power it has), and the steering and handling isn't up to what your BF has to offer.
What a complete and utter load of animal manure. A 357nm AU I6 owner calling a 530nm V8 torqueless? I think you need a good dose of reality! And the VE has always been praised for its handling since its release so I don't know what you're waffling on about there either.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #73
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
that BFII GT............. Fuel combined 15L..... wtf??

thats like 20L per 100km around town, wasnt this supposed to be a daily?
Yes but I knew a V8 was never going to be frugal. Maybe I'll run it on E10

Honestly my Territory only gives me 15/100kms. Everyone else seems to manage 11/100 which I don't see how they manage that. Maybe I'm a hoon and in for a world of pain
Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #74
AU Mont
Banned

actually had another look on another page, and highway usage is 9L which means around town would actually be closer to 21L/100km, so yes your in for a world full of pain lol. Maybe someone else can comment on real world figures

Audi all wheel drive 250kw V8 is rated at 12L/100km combined. Ok i'll shut up now haha !!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #75
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC View Post
Well now you know how us inline six lovers feel.

At least you can actually buy a new or near new V8 Ford. Holden abandoned us completely 25 years ago, with other manufacturers soon following suit. Ford is one of only three manufacturers to keep faith in the ideal engine configuration, so well done to them.

Holden abandoned V8's 25 years ago. Is that what you're saying ???
I think you will find that it was in fact Ford that gave up V8's for a while - whilst Holden perservered (I'm old enough to remember).
If I read your post incorrectly, then I apologise - but it isn't configured in a very clear way.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #76
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
Holden abandoned V8's 25 years ago. Is that what you're saying ???
I think you will find that it was in fact Ford that gave up V8's for a while - whilst Holden perservered (I'm old enough to remember).
If I read your post incorrectly, then I apologise - but it isn't configured in a very clear way.
He is a fan of the inline 6 and he is saying that Hoden abandoned him by introducing the V6....
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #77
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do you need a daily V8? Especially the Ford 5.4 V8 variety? Does the sound worth that much to you?

The fuel consumption will just be silly, you will not have a ‘fast’ car in real world city/traffic conditions, your maintenance costs will be high too, seriously seems kinda silly to use them as a daily …

Get a smaller turbocharged car instead. Will be much quicker point to point in the city, and more fun to drive. Will not cost you a fortune to run as well …

Even the XR6T is a much better value proposition while being quicker as a daily than the V8.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #78
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Both of these fit the criteria:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-13198769&Cr=1

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-12889126&Cr=0

Have not looked back since snaring mine, 18,000kms ago.
Averaging just under 12l/100 (BIG improvement over Boss 260s) and puts away the odd club sport
Very Happy - washed it this arve, too!

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #79
Homer
Poor IT dude

Quote:
i think if you get a turbo 6 you will regret it........... its obvious your hearting for another V8, follow the heart not the head
THIS!

If it's a daily and your in traffic alot you would may as well buy an na XR6 as the turbo will be just as boring to you.

Go with your heart.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #80
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
THIS!

If it's a daily and your in traffic alot you would may as well buy an na XR6 as the turbo will be just as boring to you.

Go with your heart.
Dont know what you on about there, nothing boring about a I6T.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #81
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I wonder who will be the first to build a 500 HP Ecoboost and go hunting egos...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #82
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I reckon buy this GS, sell your car privately, and be done with it!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-GS-2...item20cef404e0
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #83
mcnews
Trev

New SS ute currently $36,990 driveaway...... how's that for a bargain!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #84
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn View Post

Averaging just under 12l/100 (BIG improvement over Boss 260s) and puts away the odd club sport
2008 Ford Falcon XR8 FG - Fuel Consumption Urban 21.4 (L/100km)

Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #85
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Sad state of affairs for Ford lovers

Quote:
2008 Ford Falcon XR8 FG - Fuel Consumption Urban 21.4 (L/100km)

Fair question - am doing a combination, but getting actual results by dividing refill litres by odometer (Trip2) numbers, plus the onboard reflects that also.

My suspicions have always been that the FG XR8 is one of Henry's best-kept secrets, yet has had wholesale misrepresentation from our friends in the press.
It may not be malign in intent, as these gems have hand-assembled (by FPV) blue-printed engines, which are built to micron-precision (not my words, commonly publicised), therefore needing to:
(a) bed rings in properly (mineral oil, then switch to synthetic)
(b) free up, due to non-assembly line tolerances.

THIS is possibly why every pub has someone in the front bar expressing to all and sundry that 'the turbos go better than the 8s' .
Hey, wait 'til you get a few kms up - thank **** for traction control

On the Car Advice website, the guys put an FG XR8 on a dyno vs an SS, and it was a whitewash - almost a drop-your-strides affair, and guess what? They had several thousand run-in kms.
The experts at Drive, Wheels etc took BRAND NEW XR8s out and applied the Jap 'run-in-on-a-bench' mindset tpo them and probably stalked good cars in the process.

These are hand-built works of art and need to be nurtered for the first 10,000+ kms, before the savage beast is unleashed. (and i'm not biased).
Can show you fuel receipts with kms, if required.

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #86
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn View Post
Both of these fit the criteria:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-13198769&Cr=1

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-12889126&Cr=0

They look nice, these never came up as my search criterea is under 60,000km on the ODO.

No doubt these a perfectly fine, but Im trying for a few lower Ks...
Old 08-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #87
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They look nice, these never came up as my search criterea is under 60,000km on the ODO.

No doubt these a perfectly fine, but Im trying for a few lower Ks...
No wuckers - it helped, getting it off the chest.
Hey, maybe convert to miles - that would bring it down. (for gen 'y's, divide by 1.61)

Old 09-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #88
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100 View Post
Why do you need a daily V8? Especially the Ford 5.4 V8 variety? Does the sound worth that much to you?

The fuel consumption will just be silly, you will not have a ‘fast’ car in real world city/traffic conditions, your maintenance costs will be high too, seriously seems kinda silly to use them as a daily …

Get a smaller turbocharged car instead. Will be much quicker point to point in the city, and more fun to drive. Will not cost you a fortune to run as well …

Even the XR6T is a much better value proposition while being quicker as a daily than the V8.
I am driving an XR6T now, and I am very underwhelmed by it. I really miss my V8.

must get off my butt and put it back on the road
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: