Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 
Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
You dont need to own one to see the pics here of rust, thin paint, stuffed bushes, milkshaked trans, ball joints (granted that seems to be sorted)..need we go on?
FGs aren't perfect, although I think it's a bit of a lottery. Two of my FGs went back to Ford fairly consistently between services for warranty issues (one of them was an early build so you can forgive it for having teething issues I guess). Both of those FGs are now gone. The one remaining is a naturally aspirated XR6 and it's been fantastic in comparison, hardly any issues to report. I think the NA XR6s are the pick of the Falcon range- the motor and driveline are bullet proof and they are very well balanced.

To replicate the Falcon fundamentals (large, RWD, high powered) but in a higher quality package you would really have to look closely at imported German saloons which are ridiculously expensive here for what they are.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
FGs aren't perfect, although I think it's a bit of a lottery. Two of my FGs went back to Ford fairly consistently between services for warranty issues (one of them was an early build so you can forgive it for having teething issues I guess). Both of those FGs are now gone. The one remaining is a naturally aspirated XR6 and it's been fantastic in comparison, hardly any issues to report. I think the NA XR6s are the pick of the Falcon range- the motor and driveline are bullet proof and they are very well balanced.

To replicate the Falcon fundamentals (large, RWD, high powered) but in a higher quality package you would really have to look closely at imported German saloons which are ridiculously expensive here for what they are.
Yeah fully agree, although the EU cars are painted differently here because of primarily (I believe) the way in which they are taxed. Wonder in a few years now that the Gov has let the auto industry go that they will lower the taxes so we dont pay through the nose anymore...lower taxes

Prydey you are right the budget difference is the main driver, and thats where the Germans (and any other car sold globally) does well, they need volume to compete. Can you image if Ford did a GRWD platform? I think it will happen one day, but it will be to late to save the Falcon as thats the only thing that would have kept it alive.

But at the end of the day the consumer doesnt buy on pity for dev budgets, they buy on value and perceived quality and because the local cars have been hit with that dwindling over the years we have this situation, which sucks, because it deserves better.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 03-02-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
I6DOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
FGs aren't perfect, although I think it's a bit of a lottery.
In my experience the Focus's aren't perfect either. Got a Focus as a daily when I got my FG turbo serviced. To be honest it was extremely underwhelming. Not sure where the superior build quality is supposed to be hiding, it was one of the tinniest cars I have ever driven. Also terribly gutless and handled like a pig. Needless to say, it won't be on my shopping list anytime soon.

What the whole experience did do is make me appreciate the fantastic bang for buck that you get with falcon, and also makes me really look forward to what is coming with FH..the last ever Falcon.

Spy pics and info welcome...bring them on.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
Dmarc
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=I6DOHC;5011591]In my experience the Focus's aren't perfect either. Got a Focus as a daily when I got my FG turbo serviced. To be honest it was extremely underwhelming. Not sure where the superior build quality is supposed to be hiding, it was one of the tinniest cars I have ever driven. Also terribly gutless and handled like a pig. Needless to say, it won't be on my shopping list anytime soon.

What the whole experience did do is make me appreciate the fantastic bang for buck that you get with falcon, and also makes me really look forward to what is coming with FH..the last ever Falcon.

I had a Kuga for a day when my FG2 eco lpi XR6 was serviced. Was glad to give the Kuga back and get back behind the wheel of my XR6. Just confirms for me that we make great cars and nothing can replace the Falcon!
Dmarc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post