Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Different standards for car and 4x4 adverts...?

Just a thought I had watching TV this morning and seeing the new Mitsubishi Triton advert with the guys racing a paid of blokes on mountain bikes down a winding dirt road on a mountain. They appear to be giving it some on the dirt.
I've also seen plenty of adverts for four wheel drives now that seem to typically show the "turning on a sandy surface throwing rooster tails from all four wheels" and other floggings over rough terrain and dirt roads.

What dawned on me was the way over the last ten years or so passenger car adverts have been restricted in what they can show...no "furious driving", nothing that seems to show speeding or "competition"...anything exciting at all really.
Examples recently are the advert for "the most powerful Commodore ever", an SS on what looks like a salt lake. He takes off, the V8 growling, accelerating strongly like he's absolutely caning it...and we see then a clear picture of the heads up display showing him doing 97 to 98kph...

It all started to set in when this advert for the AWD Mistsubishi Magna was released...it's a great advert(in my opinion the AWD Magna could have been so much more if it had been developed into a performance model), gets the point across, shows the benefits of AWD versus RWD, but those darned cars are all being driven in a "spirited manner"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCpVZB898eI
It was quickly banned and dropped from TV..."furious driving" and "competition driving".

So does anyone know...? Are there different standards for car-versus-4x4 advertising?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Different standards for car and 4x4 adverts...?

Oh no, I really hate the fun police interfering with our lives. I call for a national burnout day in the name of civil disobedience!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Different standards for car and 4x4 adverts...?

For instance I saw this fantastic advert for the great little 30th anniversary Puegeot 208GTi in the cinema before a movie...can you imagine the censors letting this on TV here?? Their heads would explode...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zTheyLIvRc
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post