Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #31
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LS the world !!!!

The small block Chev of the new milennium. What does my head in isn't the fact that the LS powers Commodores but when I pick up a Street Machine magazine & nearly every car has turbo charged LS motor's. There's nothing wrong with wanting lots of power etc but I have always preferred old cars to run the motors they came with or at least a n/a V8 from the same maker. Call me old fashioned I s'pose.

Last edited by au350hp; 14-05-2018 at 07:55 PM.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #32
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
The small block Chev of the new milennium. What does my head in isn't the fact that the LS powers Commodores but when I pick up a Street Machine magazine & nearly every car has turbo charged LS motor's. There's nothing wrong with wanting lots of power etc but I have always preferred old cars to run the motors they came with or at least a n/a V8 from the same maker. Call me old fashioned I s'pose.
But blown V8’s are by no means a new thing. Pick up an older street machine and you’d likely find just as many supercharged 8’s.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #33
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in the day everyone threw a red motor in whatever needed a conversion. Now it an LS..the modern red mote!
I get it if you need cheap power or cheap runner for a conversion, makes sense. Guys used to also fit Windsor’s , Chevs, Holdens into lots of conversions too. Not so today, It’s the size of today’s Ford V8s it’s basically eliminated them from any conversion unless you want to do major (and sometimes questionable ) front end swaps. It’s basically uneconomical to undertake such a conversion in most cases unless you really want to for some specific reason. These things are a similar size to a 427 SOHC engine!
Old stuff was made for push rod V8 engines...enter the LS. Personally I’d stick with the older engines and show some workmanship in a resto, but if your not an engine guy then it’s a no brainer. I respect guys that spend the time to research, gather parts, modify and build their own old Skool engines, it’s an art. If it was a daily runner and you didn’t care then throw the LS in there, but for something special no way.. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by XByoot; 14-05-2018 at 08:55 PM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #34
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
But blown V8’s are by no means a new thing. Pick up an older street machine and you’d likely find just as many supercharged 8’s.
Turbo LS? Meh.
An old Skool supercharged V8 is by no means an easy deal to build. A piece from here, a piece from there
https://youtu.be/EK2ijfxqlnY
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #35
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I started collecting Street Machine in 1984, along with Performance Street Car. Those two publications played a major roll in my limited high school success
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2018, 10:09 PM   #36
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
I started collecting Street Machine in 1984, along with Performance Street Car. Those two publications played a major roll in my limited high school success
That takes me way back to my limited high school ability.... I had every issue of street machine from 97 to 2008 or so. For the most part in the late 90s ones it was efi holden 304s going in things that was 'retrotech'. In 98,99 the ls was what wheels magazine was creaming their pants over in the then new 5.7L ss.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #37
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

My first issue of street machine was in 1982, had a yellow HQ on the cover...

I still have it and the other 1000.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #38
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Back in the day everyone threw a red motor in whatever needed a conversion. Now it an LS..the modern red mote!
I get it if you need cheap power or cheap runner for a conversion, makes sense. Guys used to also fit Windsor’s , Chevs, Holdens into lots of conversions too. Not so today, It’s the size of today’s Ford V8s it’s basically eliminated them from any conversion unless you want to do major (and sometimes questionable ) front end swaps. It’s basically uneconomical to undertake such a conversion in most cases unless you really want to for some specific reason. These things are a similar size to a 427 SOHC engine!
Old stuff was made for push rod V8 engines...enter the LS. Personally I’d stick with the older engines and show some workmanship in a resto, but if your not an engine guy then it’s a no brainer. I respect guys that spend the time to research, gather parts, modify and build their own old Skool engines, it’s an art. If it was a daily runner and you didn’t care then throw the LS in there, but for something special no way.. Just my thoughts.
So true about late model ford v8,s the 5.4l is wider than a 460 big block...no wonder you need fingers the size of an Oompa Loompa to fit headers to one in place

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #39
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes and I totally agree. Researching and hand building an engine is an art form. There’s no doubt about it, and it definitely earns respect.
But some people want to make horsepower, not art.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: