Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-05-2018, 11:57 PM   #31
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Be very wary where you purchase your Tyres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
This is totally off topic, but I just bought a set of Kumho APT51 tyres for my Ford Escape from www.tyresales.com.au. Saved a small fortune and had them fitted at my local Tyrepower. I was actually pretty impressed by the entire experience and would do it again.
same. I've used 2 different tyre dealers for my cars over the years and both have always done the right thing. service was great and wheels were done up with a torque wrench.

a bit harsh to go tarring all with the same brush.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2018, 12:49 AM   #32
wackyv8
wackyv8

twice in this thread now, its been mentioned that a torque wrench was used for wheel nuts. i ask - to what tension?
i rattle em up til they kiss , then final torque with a wheelbrace.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2018, 01:20 AM   #33
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

125nm is recommended for Falcon according to Max Ellery, I set mine a setting higher. Here is a good article on the subject.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...ount-of-force/
Old 16-05-2018, 01:48 AM   #34
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Mate, the gentleman mentioned he is a Vietnam Vet, so maybe, just maybe he is 65+ years of age and as much as we'd like to be able to do these seemingly simple talks, it's not so easy for him anymore?
Just something to think about before you go poking fingers at your keyboard.
Actually I turned 75 on the 13th of this month and you're right, I'm not as limber as I used to be but still have the patience to let some remarks slide as I don't see the point in letting them get to me.

Old 16-05-2018, 01:58 AM   #35
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I feel your pain OP.
Not long after i bought my BF i picked up a set of BA XR6 wheels to go on it in place of the steelies, they came with only 3 centre caps.
I had been using Bob Jane at Elizabeth since they opened and the Salisbury store prior to that and never had a drama.
So i dropped the car and wheels off to have 4 new tyres fitted and balanced and ducked around to Rebel Ford to grab the 4th centre cap.
When i got back the manager tells me they broke one of the existing caps and as i'd just been and bought one for $30 i was a little annoyed to say the least so after a bit of back and forth he offers me $30 to get another cap which i accepted and away i went.
Fast forward a few months and i decided to replace all 4 rotors and when i came to undo the lock nut on the left rear i found it cross threaded so i went straight down there as the wheels hadnt been touched since installation.
So i explain the situation to the manager and he comes out with a wheel brace and snaps the stud clean off, hands it to me and says, there you go.
I was like WTF you cant just snap it off and leave it for me to deal with, he says you cant prove that we did it.
Well i tell you what, that mother ****er doesnt know how close he came to me wrapping the wheel brace around his scrawny head, it took ever ounce of will power to restrain myself, so i told him he has just burned thousands of dollars worth of business for the sake of a $10 part and drove away.

Since then i've used Tyrepower at Elizabeth West and have had a set of 18's and tyres on my Sons VE, a set of 16's and tyres on my Daughters Focus, a set of 18's and tyres on my wagon, new tyres for the inlaws Prado, around $4000 all up plus numerous balances and alignments and have directed anyone i can away from Bob Jane and to Tyrepower.
Old 16-05-2018, 02:07 AM   #36
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglem View Post
Actually I turned 75 on the 13th of this month and you're right, I'm not as limber as I used to be but still have the patience to let some remarks slide as I don't see the point in letting them get to me.
Members are always on the forum, and I am most days several times. Next time you have an issue jump straight on the forum and ask the question. It doesn't matter how trivial or stupid you think it is, 99/100 we can help.

And feel free to PM me anytime. I have been playing with cars along time and know a few tricks or two.

Arron..

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 16-05-2018, 03:39 AM   #37
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
2 Troop 1 Field Squadron Royal Australian Engineers.
Well God Helps us, defeated by a locknut.

The lessons to be learnt from your story are as follows:
  1. Don't use Locknuts
  2. Check stuff like this before going on long roadtrips
  3. Don't rely on Rent-A-Clown
  4. Never sit around waiting for a dealer to fix something
  5. You paid Ian Diffen to fit your tyres, which they did. If you expect them to take any responsibility beyond that you are dreaming.

That said, Thankyou for your Service. I wish somebody had been there to help you.
Old 16-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #38
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i never use a rattle gun on my lock nuts and i never tighten them up the same as the other nuts but I have lost 2 locknuts from coming lose so now i just don't run lock nuts
if someone is going to steal your rims you have bigger problems

last set of tyres i had fitted came back with 30psi in 1 and 44psi in the other....how hard is it to run 34psi as per the placard

on a good note i once bought a car and it didn't come with a lock nut key and i damaged a tyre so went to my local kmart auto (sylvania nsw) and the manager removed all locknuts and replaced them with standard chrome nuts and didn't charge me
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #39
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I can guarantee that no person that buys a brand new 5K trailer drives out the shop and checks their wheel bearings.

But never let the truth get in the way of a good (bad) story.

You should be ashamed of yourself being a moderator attempting to stir **** at someone.

Hang your head in shame
You can guarantee that yeh?
So you know who does what to a trailer after they purchase?

You seem to think that everyone should assume a trailer builder is infallible, but all tyre shop guys are monkeys.

And having a shot at our fearless GasOLane is just plain stupid.

No, hang your head in shame XB GS 351 Coupe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Who is going to look at overly tight wheel nuts??

You are dealing with people who got kicked out of school in year eight or nine who struggle to write their own name. The kid stacking shelves at Coles is a scientific scholar compared to most tyre fitters.

They basically have shaved monkeys doing this sort of work, I would not trust them with any of my cars for any reason.
So what are the general public supposed to do?
Plenty people wouldn't know how to change a tyre and plenty more wouldn't have the physical capability - It's just how it is.

I've dealt with plenty tyre fitters who are very capable, though you are right in saying that many aren't.
How do we know though, and we don't even always get a choice?

You seem to think that everyone must be the perfect specimen like yourself.
What's it like up there?

To the OP - I would recommend ditching the lock nuts.
IME they only stop the honest people anyhow, and usually only hinder the owners.
The people who want your wheels won't let a lock nut stop them as they're not difficult to deafeat.
One of the first things I do when buying another car is to ditch the locknuts.
Old 16-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #40
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your serious??

You got a flat, and the wheel nuts were too tight

Happens every day to hundreds of people that are too lazy to check their own wheel nuts and tyre pressure

Tyre fitters are tyre fitters for a reason, don't trust them to do anything other than fit tyres, and some even struggle with that.
I thought (hoped) you had left the forums, but no, you’re back as arrogant and pretentious as ever.
7 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #41
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone is looking for good tyre service in Sydney I’d suggest Don Cornell’s in Bexley, I’ve been interstate for years but took a car there a while back and still as good as ever. Long term employees, and a good job.

Call me old fashioned but I log onto this forum to read about cars, projects and a bit of a laugh. I reckon the toys have all been tossed out of the cots now, so how bouts you all pick them up and play together, this stuff really gets old fast.
6 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #42
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

You won't see me having a go at an old dumb ugly Ginger Beer.

Mate it may be easier to claim the GST back from the Tax Office. I suggest you ring the ATO and have a chat to someone about it.

Companies adjust the amount of GST collected and paid through a Business Activity Statement (BAS) and the shaved monkeys blokes would not be involved with this process which is probably done with an accounting firm.

If you go back to them you may be met with a lot of dumb stares.

Cheers mate
Cav
2RAR/NZ(ANZAC)Bn
SVN 70/71
4 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #43
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, don't worry about broken wheel studs - you only need three with nuts done up. Honest !!!
Over easter I was at a servo in Sydney filling up, noticed a nice BF wagon with the rear left rim minus two wheelnuts. So you do what you think is the done thing and politely point it out - and get the above response. "Yeah, been like that a long time".
So you walk off shaking your head and wondering why you bothered . . . . . . .
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #44
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I have the OEM Ford lock nuts on my wheels.

What I do, when I take my car in for repairs, service or new tyres/rotation etc, is remove them beforehand and replace them with the standard nuts.

When I pick up the car and get home, I then reinstall the lock nuts, which takes all of 10 minutes.

I also go round all the wheels nuts, loosen them and re-torque them using my torque wrench to 135Nm. (This is important for not getting warped rotors down the track).

This way;

1. The workshop can't lose the lock nut key or forget to put it back in the car on pick-up.

2. I don't have to worry about rattle gun overtightening.
I do the same. Have always done so on all my cars after one tyre place destroyed a set of lock nuts many moons ago.
Old 16-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #45
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't been on this forum for a long time, mainly because of people like Mr Perfect, and now he is a technical contributor. HA!

Might disappear again til he is gone!!!!
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #46
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
You won't see me having a go at an old dumb ugly Ginger Beer.

Mate it may be easier to claim the GST back from the Tax Office. I suggest you ring the ATO and have a chat to someone about it.

Companies adjust the amount of GST collected and paid through a Business Activity Statement (BAS) and the shaved monkeys blokes would not be involved with this process which is probably done with an accounting firm.

If you go back to them you may be met with a lot of dumb stares.

Cheers mate
Cav
2RAR/NZ(ANZAC)Bn
SVN 70/71
Actually I just rang them and they are refunding the GST and will do a direct deposit into my Bank Account.

Old 16-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #47
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Damn, I just noticed that they still charged GST when I gave them a filled out GST Free Form so looks like I'll be calling them to send me a Cheque for the GST they charged.
Ask them to credit you the lock nuts that caused you the problems & supply normal nuts.

going by the invoice they are quite expensive.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 16-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #48
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm selective about where and when I use my lock nuts. I don't run lock nuts around my home town even though it's full of thieving pricks, my car at work is in one of the most secure car parks around, at home it's behind locked gates and also in a locked shed and I figure someone ain't going to steal my wheels when I'm at the gym or Coles in the middle of the day.

I never have lock nuts on while I'm out in the middle of nowhere heading from one destination to another but I take them with me and when I get to the big smoke, if I perceive the risk to be high like parked overnight in public carparks or out on the street then I'll fit up my lock nuts.

I also ditched the OEM cheese lock nuts and purchased some great high quality ones.
Old 16-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #49
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Ask them to credit you the lock nuts that caused you the problems & supply normal nuts.

going by the invoice they are quite expensive.
Unfortunately everything supplied by a Car Dealer whether Ford or any other dealer are always overpriced, even the services.

Old 16-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #50
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

I use ian diffen maddo,they use a torque wrench to do the wheel nuts,never had an issue yet.I actually nip the nuts up a bit tighter once I get home.
Old 16-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #51
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I did mention that to the Ford dealer but he pointed out that the GT Rims are sort after and are expensive to replace and that puts you between a rock and a hard place.
For future reference, the rims might be sought after but they are easy to get and cheap.

Dealer might want to do some checking.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Old 16-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #52
R12RT

Quote:
Your serious??

You got a flat, and the wheel nuts were too tight

Happens every day to hundreds of people that are too lazy to check their own wheel nuts and tyre pressure

Tyre fitters are tyre fitters for a reason, don't trust them to do anything other than fit tyres, and some even struggle with that.
Yeah. Reminds me of the time I had asymmetric Bridgestones fitted to my old Maxda6.

Three out of four of the tyres were fitted **** about.
Old 16-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #53
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
I have. fairly good idea,
No, you don't.

Quote:
I have not seen too many people buy a brand spanking new trailer and check the wheel bearings, funny thing is since I fitted quality bearings the trailer has done tens of thousands of Km's without an issues.My other trailer has probably done over 100K km's and is around 25 years old, without an issue.

I wonder if trailer manufacturers should opt for a quality bearing set rather than Chinese no brands that fail after around 1000km.....but I digress....
The whole forum saw your trailer saga, there were so many holes in your story it would have sunk the Titanic. Oh wait...

Quote:
They should all be infallible, if you get payed to do a job you should do it correctly, unfortunately that is a rarity these days.

My analogy comes from many many years of personal experience in dealing with these imbeciles.
No one is infallible. No one.

Quote:
I think your basic comprehension is lacking, he was having a shot at me, and went out of his way to dig up stuff that happened 4 or 5 years ago in an effort to provoke me into an argument.

Poor form from a moderator who should know better, someone entrusted to police the forum gong out of his way to send threads off topic and provoke forum members.

You would think a moderator should know better.
You came out beating your chest to the OP about how perfect you are.
Then, our esteemed moderator, GasOLane, called you out on your trailer saga because of your chest beating.
You then lashed out at the esteemed moderator. Once again, hang your head in shame.

Quote:
People get paid to do a job, they should do it. I do my job and if I don't people die, so repercussions are great, so far no one has died.
That you're aware of...

Damn it must be hard to be you.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #54
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I can't believe that amount of arguing I have just read - over a damn wheel nut.

Sorry eaglem but I have no choice but to close this thread.

Some of you need to have a good look at yourselves...
Closed Thread