Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
K.P.

Default Re: New BP fuels additive announced

Hygroscopic is the correct term for a water-attracting substance (brake fluid bar DOT 5.1 which is silicone-based and needs specific brake lines is an example). Yes, correct, ethanol is used in racing. I wondered whether to mention that, but indeed. And no ethanol in a dual-fuel car, as I found out. The whole engine was shuddering violently in the mounting upon starting due to water content upon startup (venturi LPG 10 sec. start on petrol, it was scary the whole car was shuddering along with the engine). Luckily I was parked in a supermarket at the time, a few people mucked around with the engine we got it going. Happened a couple more times until I got new petrol. My LPG guy at the time told me no E10 again unless I used it all within 1-2 weeks, and as a general rule not to use it as the majority of times you are running in LPG and the same petrol stays in the tank longer.

A testament to both the Tickford VCT engine in the AU Fairmont Ghia and subchassis, general build: no damage whatsoever!

Last edited by K.P.; 01-09-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Additional information vis-a-vis ethanol in dual-fuel cars.
K.P. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.P. View Post
Hygroscopic is the correct term for a water-attracting substance (brake fluid bar DOT 5.1 which is silicone-based and needs specific brake lines is an example). Yes, correct, ethanol is used in racing. I wondered whether to mention that, but indeed.

My FG LPI conversion rarely used petrol simply because I was a cheapskate, but the age of the small amount of fuel always gnawed at me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
K.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
My FG LPI conversion rarely used petrol simply because I was a cheapskate, but the age of the small amount of fuel always gnawed at me.

Ryeman, all you had/have to do is freshen it up with $5-10 worth of petrol every few weeks. This came straight from Mobil for their Special 91, but it's generally recommended you drive 20-30 minutes a week on petrol to keep the seals, gaskets and petrol componentry in peak condition as well as the startup on petrol until the engine is warmer with an SVI or LPI system so that was something I had already been doing.

You'll read that it's once a month - LPG mechanics and fitters will tell you weekly.

Going back to your original post in 2016, I didn't find any difference between the old additive package and new - to be frank, I didn't even notice (or know) it had changed. The odd thing about the old additive package was it made both my current and last car run roughly for a quarter of a tank, so much so that I swore never to use it again on the AU Ghia (it was that bad) then after the quarter tank had gone through it was great petrol!

Last edited by K.P.; 01-09-2019 at 09:32 PM.
K.P. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.P. View Post
Ryeman, all you had/have to do is freshen it up with $5-10 worth of petrol every few weeks. This came straight from Mobil for their Special 91, but it's generally recommended you drive 20-30 minutes a week on petrol to stop the seals and petrol componentry in peak condition as well as the startup on petrol until the engine is warmer with an SVI or LPI system so that was something I had already been doing.

You'll read that it's once a month - LPG mechanics and fitters will tell you weekly.

Going back to your original post in 2016, I didn't find any difference between the old additive package and new - to be frank, I didn't even notice it had changed. The odd thing about the old additive package was it made both my current and last car run roughly for a quarter of a tank, so much so that I swore never to use it again on the AU Ghia (it was that bad) then after the quarter tank had gone through it was great petrol!

Yeah, the FG XR6 is some time ago but I hated the fact that it wasn’t a ‘dry’ start but a wet petrol one instead.
Our 2019 Vitara 1.4t doesn’t have stop/start and I’m beginning to wonder if the WLTP programme reduces the emphasis on idling and thus the extra ss complex isn’t worth it.
At 74 I’m determined that my last car will be probably a Model 3, Kona Electric/eNiro or VW id19.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post