Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2020, 12:29 AM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Best Last Aussie Wagon

OK, what would be your pick for a last 6 cylinder Aussie wagon purchase?

In the blue corner, we have the 2010 BFIII Falcon wagon. It has the unbustable, simple 4.0I6 and a trusty 4 speed auto. It has a long, wide load area and pretty good vision out. One model in this series, as Ford saved on marketing by offering, well, one model aimed at fleets. Petrol or LPG. If only there had been an FG wagon...

In the red corner, we have the last Sportwagons, right up to 2017. Much newer and more expensive at present, although you could save and buy a 2010 model if you really wanted to. Fitted with Holden's slightly infamous alloy V6's, in 3.0 or 3.6L sizes. Some of them are E85. Some say down on torque, others say the Holden V6's have some kick when pushed. Holden marketed their range in Omega/Evoke, SV6, Berlina or Calais - so a full range of trims and price points. Holden also did some great V8's in their wagons, but for the sake of this question, it's about the 6's. Loadspace was less as of the styling, wheelbase was not LWB but rather shared the sedan's dimensions.

There will be no more Aussie wagons - so what was the best of the recent Aussie 6 wagons?
Old 09-01-2020, 12:50 AM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Best Last Aussie Wagon

The fridge for sure. The last of the bf3 wagons were white and i know of ironically a diesiel generator company that are pentionion off some of their egas wagons with anywhere from 400 to 600k on them. Granted, well maintained. But a tonne of kays. I only got 136k out of a ranger before it decided no was the better answer. My 08 fairmont is happy at 200k.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 01:38 AM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Jesus, if you're going to call a 10yr old BF3 a recent Aussie wagon you might as well go back a little further and include the locally made Mitsubishi Verada wagon Ei which featured 155kw 3.5l V6, 5sp Auto, climate air etc. etc.

I'd still pick the BF3 in Egas form, but at least the Verada pushes the Sportswagon to 3 for having a better engine and load carrying ability if nothing else.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 02:11 AM   #4
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, if it must be 6 cylinders, then the EF XR6. Best looking wagon Ford ever made.
7 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 03:42 AM   #5
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Its no comparison. The last of the VF wagons are the best and especially in V8 version. When was the last V8 falcon wagon.

Ford dropped the ball on the wagon. At least we got the territory

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1974 HJ Premier 202 wagon.
Indestructable, state of the art suspension and luxury (for its day), no electronics telling the motor or the driver how to behave, DIY maintenance without requiring special tools or skills ………. just the good old days when men were men, and not on Francos list of confused whatevers.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only one choice, VF Series 2 Wagon... Don't waste time on anything with the 3 litre V6, get a Calais or SV6 Wagon with the 3.6 (that's if you don't want a V8) otherwise get yourself into an SSV Redline Wagon or, even better, a HSV Clubsport Tourer...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Ive gone for a BA wagon, i specifically wanted one in Acid rush yellow so it ruled out other B series. Basic, rugged as i do a lot of touring and its my main touring car. The power is ample, the space is brilliant. Its easy to fix on the go aswell, very comfy seats are great cabin stays quiet, cheap to run and repair. made for it!

Ive RTV converted mine to get me to most places i wish to go. Currently on its second tour across Aus. Only thing i don't like is the lack of storage compartments. I used to run 29" tyres but have gone for smaller ones this time around as i wasn't planning on driving on any beaches.

Id only go the VF if it doesn't leave the blacktop but they are mighty fine motor cars, worlds ahead of a B series but nowhere as rugged or as big.

Photo from 2 weeks ago in the Outback.

From back in the day, a few more clips on channel nothing too crazy...does what i want.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #9
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interceptor, your setup is epic!

Great suggestions from everyone. I have a soft spot for HJs. Bent8, yep the Magna was very underrated. ED/EF XR6, yes those are great.

And I'm hearing the VF2 recommendations. Since the VF2 is the only really recent one, what is the best Aussie wagon of all time?

My vote for XW 302 Fairmont wagon.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
1974 HJ Premier 202 wagon.
Indestructable, state of the art suspension and luxury (for its day), no electronics telling the motor or the driver how to behave, DIY maintenance without requiring special tools or skills ………. just the good old days when men were men, and not on Francos list of confused whatevers.
Yep, had one and the RTS HZ. I'll go one better and say Holden HZ wagon Overlander.

Funny how Raptor rear suspension is basically an old (Holden looking) coil sprung trailing arm design and everyone raving on about its advanced design.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon the best all-rounder in recent times is the VY V6 Commodore wagon. If you go too early (i.e pre-2000) you miss out on many modern items, like decent climate control, good brakes, proper ABS/Traction control etc. etc. & many modern little things.

I run a fleet of these currently & they are near bullet proof. Last of the cast iron motors, all of the minor VT/VX issues gone. Roomy, comfortable, great A/Cond, Huge cargo space.

I've got 5 of them all with high kms, 2 have done over 500,000 kms. 3 on LPG.

I don't know what I am going to replace them with.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
I reckon the best all-rounder in recent times is the VY V6 Commodore wagon. If you go too early (i.e pre-2000) you miss out on many modern items, like decent climate control, good brakes, proper ABS/Traction control etc. etc. & many modern little things.

I run a fleet of these currently & they are near bullet proof. Last of the cast iron motors, all of the minor VT/VX issues gone. Roomy, comfortable, great A/Cond, Huge cargo space.

Dr Terry
Yep finding a replacement is going to be tough. Just keep em going.
Whats it like finding spares for these now ?

Old 09-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #13
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dr Terry
You can get the 3.8 ecotec rebuilt, unlike the 3.6 alloytec which is a throw away. And same for the old 4 speed auto.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #14
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dr Terry. yes! I forgot the VY. That one is the best.

The VY in our family has 100,000 on the clock now. It is *so* nice. It has the absolutely huge load area, rides smoothly around town and loves to steer corners, is simple, and reliable. On the highway it is very nice. I remember just how stoked Dad was when he picked it up new, the total base model with wind up windows and no cruise control (!) for a very very good price in early 2004.

I was also going to mention the full time AWD all-the-time Territory, with ZF. Not technically a wagon by todays standards, but it has the body of a wagon, is superb on gravel and bitumen, handles well, rides well and does wagon duties with lots of room in the back (even if not as long as the VY). Best aussie built wagon - if you can call it that. I liked it so much I bought one. Downside is the suspension is a bit more complicated (read: costly) to maintain as it ages compared to a BF3 or VY.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Anyone here have any experience with the last Holden "Sandman" wagon. (Do not how they could call that a Sandman.) Very late model Dunnydore.
There is a black one I regularly see in Holbrook at the Holden dealer there.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #16
minheim

The best is the vf2 Calais, I suspect given the tech in it. However I prefer the VE sv6 wagon in looks.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #17
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yep finding a replacement is going to be tough. Just keep em going.
Whats it like finding spares for these now ?
I sell spare parts, & except for some minor trim parts, the VT-VZ Commodores probably have the best (read easiest & cheapest) parts availability there is.

Dr Terry
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #18
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
I was also going to mention the full time AWD all-the-time Territory, with ZF. Not technically a wagon by todays standards, but it has the body of a wagon,
I agree. It was initially a wagon, but now it is an SUV, why I didn't nominate it.

SUV = Sport Utility Vehicle = XR8 ute, Maloo ???.
SUV = Suburban Use Vehicle = any 2-box-thingy with raised ride height ???,
Old 09-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #19
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I reckon the Adventra should at least rate a mention! VY/VZ which is arguably one the best Commodore models, V8, AWD, climate control nice creature comforts, very good premium stereo with integrated sub, split tailgate, big room etc comfy station wagon! It has it all!

My only issue is they are IRS, which is not to say a live axle can be fitted along with a locker...if its possible it would sway me to get one but instead I gotta build the ford equivalent this year or the next.

Pretty sure they had transmission issues but once repaired it was no longer and issue, all that remained were possible transfer case issues as they age and perhaps fuel economy but generally you don't buy a v8 for economy (despite my only v8 being the most economical out of my fleet haha!)

I have been bush with an adventra in convoy and it was decent and I love how VZ's drive. (just hate the indicator stalk feels flimsy as hell but that's all I can fault).

Subaru Outback '02
Old 09-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #20
hayseed

Quote:

Dr Terry
I agree.
We've got one (2004 series 2) with 350,000km. Can't bring ourselves to get rid of It.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #21
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor;6386842 [I
Pretty sure they had transmission issues but once repaired it was no longer and issue, all that remained were possible transfer case issues as they age.[/I]
The V6 had problems with the fragile 5speed auto, the V8s are the dinosaur, proven 4 speed. The transfer case is much the same unit as Territory and BMW.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #22
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
The V6 had problems with the fragile 5speed auto, the V8s are the dinosaur, proven 4 speed. The transfer case is much the same unit as Territory and BMW.
Ahhh I see. Cheers. I haven't done a lot of research on them to be honest.

Dinosaurs are good, I drive one, dinosaur is definitley a good thing!!
2002 to 2010ish was a time where good old school reliable tried and tested equipment met new modern niceties.
After that cars began to be fitted with gimmicky intrusive rubbish...

Subaru Outback '02
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

In terms of space and ability to carry a lot of weight then the BF wagon is the pick. Plus you don't have those rubbish Holden V6's.

But in terms of just a regular wagon not really used as a carry all then the VF SV6 is the pick. As long as you don't want to put anything big in the back, cause the loadspace is pretty average. Wouldn't touch one with the 3.0 litre. What a rubbish engine. Or a VE with a 3.6 and auto. Yuck.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #24
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

screw the sixes. it's the SS by a long, long way
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #25
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Dr Terry
Yeah, and the VY Wagon also came as an SS or Berlina V8 with the option of leather, so a more attractive alternative to a BA Fairmont. Which was pretty much an XT with alloys.

Re the Adventra V8 awd... didn’t they have fragile front diffs mounted in the engine sump with a replacement cost of around $10k?
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #26
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Yeah, and the VY Wagon also came as an SS or Berlina V8 with the option of leather, so a more attractive alternative to a BA Fairmont. Which was pretty much an XT with alloys.

Re the Adventra V8 awd... didn’t they have fragile front diffs mounted in the engine sump with a replacement cost of around $10k?
My daily is an LX8 VY Adventra, which is the best car that I've ever owned (I'm 66 years old BTW). Mines done 258,000 km & have not had any diff issues. I know a few other guys with these & have not heard that one before.

It goes like the clappers (LS1 V8 - 3.45 diff ratios) & passes anything on the road except a petrol bowser. It averages 20L per 100 km around town & 12 on the freeway. I converted it to injected LPG a few years ago & that fixed the excessive petrol bills.

The reason that I suggested the normal Exec/Berlina V6 as the "ideal" wagon earlier was the petrol cost problem. The V8s is a great car if you can afford the extra petrol.

Dr Terry
Old 09-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #27
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
My daily is an LX8 VY Adventra, which is the best car that I've ever owned (I'm 66 years old BTW). Mines done 258,000 km & have not had any diff issues. I know a few other guys with these & have not heard that one before.

It goes like the clappers (LS1 V8 - 3.45 diff ratios) & passes anything on the road except a petrol bowser. It averages 20L per 100 km around town & 12 on the freeway. I converted it to injected LPG a few years ago & that fixed the excessive petrol bills.

The reason that I suggested the normal Exec/Berlina V6 as the "ideal" wagon earlier was the petrol cost problem. The V8s is a great car if you can afford the extra petrol.

Dr Terry
Yikes 20L around town! Having said that, my wagon (as pictured previously) does up to 18 around town and can get as low as 10 on the open road but averages 14.5 currently. Cargo load seems to make no difference. All parts are tip top condition although compression (tested yesterday) is predominatley at 195psi (1400 or so KPA?) so not too worn out at 311,000km so not directly affecting fuel economy tooo much.

So given this comparison I see the value in the Adventra for only an extra 2L per 100km in a heavier AWD car with many more features!!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 10-01-2020, 12:47 AM   #28
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In retrospect, its ridiculous how stuck in the past FoA were.

They were obsessed with people like me, "Ford Men", and assumed everyone was the same. So they assumed that any would be purchaser was a "Ford Buyer" and therefore became paranoid about the concept of "robbing sales" from other Ford models.
I love my Terri, it is the best car Ford ever built. But its not a Falcon wagon. Most people would not even be aware of the common platform and mechanicals.

FoA started killing the wagon in the late 90's, and once the Territory arrived became absolutely paranoid that every wagon sale was one less Territory.

same problem with the Mondeo when it re-introduced. They had a brilliant car, that in terms of its styling and options, ran absolute rings around the Camry. Not to mention the various pieces of crap GM kept trying to flog, and what was then still crap coming out of Korea. But instead of promoting the Mondeo as a brilliant, European built alternative, they classified it as competition for the Falcon and kept it hidden in the bottom draw.

And in the end, we wound up with nothing. No Wagons, No Territories, just a bunch of Thai specials.
5 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2020, 02:43 AM   #29
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Every falcon wagon had leaf springs. What a joke.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2020, 03:29 AM   #30
marty351
Shenanigans..............

marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post