Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2020, 02:00 AM   #11
Schtoo

Default Re: C tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
My Optima Red Top will only charge properly with the C-Tek drip charger. It's a little champ and the Red Top is still going after 12 years on a car that gets driven monthly!
I wrote 3 replies to this thread, and didn't hit send.

This time, I have to though.

Just to get this out on the table first, I work in a battery shop. We have 7 battery chargers to choose from, and only 4 rules.

#1; Connect the battery, then connect the mains. The newer chargers won't spark, but it's still a good habit to get into.

#2; Never, ever, EVER connect the Ctek to an Optima.

#3; No chargers to be operating when there's nobody around to check on them.

#4; Refer to rule 2, in case you missed it.

I don't know if they have changed how they work, but we've all been told about Optima batteries going 'pop' hanging off a Ctek, and in the same conversation also been told that Ctek has been aware of it for some time and one of their engineers said straight out they weren't planning to do anything about it. Maybe they have, but it was a pretty poor attitude. Honest though, I'll give them that...

That said, Ctek is popular and on regular batteries it's one of my own go-to chargers because it does a very nice job. We've got a 10A version because we don't have all day.

Having a choice of chargers at prices you can't get, I recently bought a Victron 10A.

I won't stop you buying whatever charger you really want, but if you'll listen I'll tell you to buy a Victron. Money where your mouth is and whatnot...

While we're here, I'm quite sure that many folks have charged their Optima batteries with great success on Ctek chargers, and will continue to do so in the future. We've heard of a lot of things that work great contrary to what we have seen and know, but that doesn't mean we'll also do it or condone it.

And with that in mind, I'd encourage you to please not charge Optima with a Ctek. If you have to, monitor the battery closely and often for temperature and if it gets warm, disconnect it. If it starts gurgling, disconnect it, take it outside and leave it there until it cools down.

(And even this goes against advice I've said many times. You get over 8 years out of a battery, keep doing whatever you're doing.)

Hint; it's got everything to do with the spiral wound plates. On regular flat plate AGM batteries, no known issues.

Don't want to slay anyone's sacred cow, but also don't want to see any funeral pyres for lack of saying something.

Stu.

(Franco, I've seen that on an Optima too. Didn't fall off, but didn't need much persuasion either. Kept the terminal, sent the rest of the battery to recycling.)
Schtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: