Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 13-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #9061
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Ok, heres something a bit more neutral. Astrazeneca - 62% efficacy when given the recommended dose. That sounds awfully low, even to an arm chair no body on a car forum.

Scientists call for pause on AstraZeneca vaccine rollout
https://www.theage.com.au/national/s...12-p56tjt.html

This bit gets me...

"On Tuesday, the Australasian Virology Society confirmed to The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald that it supported an immediate pause in plans to roll out the AstraZeneca vaccine until research proved it was effective enough to achieve herd immunity.
But following a furious internal debate, the president of the virology society contacted The Age and the Herald late on Tuesday evening to say it had changed its position and no longer opposed the rollout of the vaccine.
When asked why the society was changing its official position at the last moment, its president, Professor Gilda Tachedjian, said: "That’s for us to know and you to find out"."

WTF is this? Some sort of game?!? Anyhow, I hope our pollies aren't pressuring the TGA to approve the vaccine just because we have bought the rights to produce it locally.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 08:14 PM   #9062
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No matter what you think of this Rebel News / Avi, this footage ****ed me right off - that poor little fella

2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 08:15 PM   #9063
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not really all that bothered about what is happening in NSW. A few outbreaks but it is being managed.

It smells more about throwing **** at NSW because VIC copped so much **** but the situations are no where near comparable
5 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #9064
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Call for more clarity on border closure triggers

Human rights lawyers have called on the Victorian government to explain why thousands of people stranded for almost a fortnight in NSW’s COVID-19 hotspots cannot return and quarantine at home instead of being indefinitely excluded.

The Andrews government on Tuesday was unable to give a definitive answer as to when the borders between the two states would reopen, and has provided no timetable for when those who are stranded might return home.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...12-p56tl2.html
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 08:54 PM   #9065
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That was my point the other day. They are afraid to set parameters.

WA - MMcG has given his “rules”.
NSW - GB is now saying “everybody stay open” but seem to be embracing monetisation of civilian compliance.
SA - SM is a bit vague but not posturing and seems open to dynamic advice from Ms Spurrier.
NT - not clear on ground rules but reacts both ways very quickly and firmly/clearly.
ACT - seems to be mostly following the NT model, with a little more buffering.
QLD - ruled by Dr Young, I have not read of clear ambitions/expectations.
TAS - seems to be following a QLD model, considering the wholesale cost of their quarantine (mostly motels, I believe) it’s almost an earner.
VIC - I don’t honestly think they have gone much beyond pondering how much they can make from fines!
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #9066
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Hotel quarantine security firm’s license renewed

A security company that provided services to Victoria’s hotel quarantine program during the enquiry scandal has had its license renewed by Victoria Police.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscri...44f-1610532396
Old 13-01-2021, 09:24 PM   #9067
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Leadership transcends borders

Victoria’s Dan Andrews probably surprises many when he denies being bent on outright elimination of COVID-19 but his latest measure — a travel permit system with a traffic-light metaphor of risk levels — is emblematic of his record. For all his reassuring patter and self-confidence, Mr Andrews presides over a government that appears to lack the basic organisation, competence and skill to run an effective public health operation.

NSW has had its bungles but its contact tracing seems to have set a national standard for speed and success, while Ms Berejiklian has been conspicuous for her measured and pragmatic approach to a complex challenge, which is easily caricatured as a no-brainer trade-off between safety and money. It is a productive economy that underpins all kinds of safety, in the long run. Jobs bolster mental wellbeing and health systems break down without the economic activity that fills the tax coffers.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/com...4236edfd301635
Old 13-01-2021, 09:30 PM   #9068
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
That was my point the other day. They are afraid to set parameters.

WA - MMcG has given his “rules”.
NSW - GB is now saying “everybody stay open” but seem to be embracing monetisation of civilian compliance.
SA - SM is a bit vague but not posturing and seems open to dynamic advice from Ms Spurrier.
NT - not clear on ground rules but reacts both ways very quickly and firmly/clearly.
ACT - seems to be mostly following the NT model, with a little more buffering.
QLD - ruled by Dr Young, I have not read of clear ambitions/expectations.
TAS - seems to be following a QLD model, considering the wholesale cost of their quarantine (mostly motels, I believe) it’s almost an earner.
VIC - I don’t honestly think they have gone much beyond pondering how much they can make from fines!
You are correct, although I don't think its because they are afraid, I think its more they are unsure what each other are going to do. The response in QLD is so different to the response in NSW, so how do you have one rule for all? However it does seem like no one has an issue with one another's approach except for one. Its rather odd don't you think?

This is quite relevant...

Calls to postpone Australian Open as NSW criticised for holding rest of country to ransom
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2021...-open-nsw-vic/

“The government of NSW has been letting the side down,” he told The New Daily.

Unlike the rest of the country, NSW has avoided large-scale, hard lockdowns when cases of community transmission have occurred.

Although the state has been effective in getting on top of outbreaks, it has created pandemonium in other parts of the country as state governments respond to their approach with a hotchpotch of restrictions and border closures.

Professor Bowtell said this had put the nation at risk."

Last edited by T3rminator; 13-01-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Old 13-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #9069
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
No matter what you think of this Rebel News / Avi, this footage ****ed me right off - that poor little fella

cheer up buttercup
6 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 11:08 PM   #9070
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post

**** around, fight out.. i guess?
failed the attitude test. no sympathy for her really, wtf was she thinking? shame on her for involving her kid in her own political agenda.

5 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 11:29 PM   #9071
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Call for more clarity on border closure triggers

Human rights lawyers have called on the Victorian government to explain why thousands of people stranded for almost a fortnight in NSW’s COVID-19 hotspots cannot return and quarantine at home instead of being indefinitely excluded.

The Andrews government on Tuesday was unable to give a definitive answer as to when the borders between the two states would reopen, and has provided no timetable for when those who are stranded might return home.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...12-p56tl2.html
So im guessing that a large percentage of those stuck in nsw were holidaying or similar, in which case their stupidity and arrogance is being punished accordingly.
In fact, stupid doesnt even begin to describe it. Everyone has seen the signs since christmas.
We had plans to travel to far north qld, via a lengthy east coast tour over our long holidays, but decided to stay in vic because we're not stupid.
Who knew they would close borders again? Yeah, umm everyone with half a brain.
5 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #9072
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
So im guessing that a large percentage of those stuck in nsw were holidaying or similar, in which case their stupidity and arrogance is being punished accordingly.
In fact, stupid doesnt even begin to describe it. Everyone has seen the signs since christmas.
We had plans to travel to far north qld, via a lengthy east coast tour over our long holidays, but decided to stay in vic because we're not stupid.
Yeah damn stupid dumb stupid stupid arrogant people. Pitchforks and punishment! Keeping people in jobs, and living their lives, who do they think they are? Everyone should hide under a rock for two more years until this passes. That is what life is about.

6 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2021, 10:30 AM   #9073
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dunno if "punish" is the appropriate word, but I get what you are saying. They took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

Had a mate that went into NSW, Queanbeyan (some town near canberra) a few days before Christmas. I said to him he better have a quick exit plan because I reckon things are likely to change, we are still in the middle of a pandemic and NSW had unlinked cases moving further away from central. He is one of those with the dan derangement syndromes, so he just laughed and mocked....arrogance. Wakes up NYE and finds he has to rush home. Tells everyone how hard he had it, blamed the government for not giving enough notice, yet he made it home with 20+ hours to spare. Then on the day Vic reported 10 new cases he plastered social media with how the gov was incompetent and should have closed the border sooner

Some people just don't get it and probably never will. However I do appreciate some may have had to go due to compassionate reasons, and I do think the gov should make a special effort to bring those home.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #9074
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Dunno if "punish" is the appropriate word, but I get what you are saying. They took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

Had a mate that went into NSW, Queanbeyan (some town near canberra) a few days before Christmas. I said to him he better have a quick exit plan because I reckon things are likely to change, we are still in the middle of a pandemic and NSW had unlinked cases moving further away from central. He is one of those with the dan derangement syndromes, so he just laughed and mocked....arrogance. Wakes up NYE and finds he has to rush home. Tells everyone how hard he had it, blamed the government for not giving enough notice, yet he made it home with 20+ hours to spare. Then on the day Vic reported 10 new cases he plastered social media with how the gov was incompetent and should have closed the border sooner

Some people just don't get it and probably never will. However I do appreciate some may have had to go due to compassionate reasons, and I do think the gov should make a special effort to bring those home.
Yep, same here at the housesit we are doing, family choose to ignore the come home notice so spending a lovely week in Albury atm they have a permit to come back on Saturday.

Definately make sure we aren't here to greet them.

There was an ABC interview with a Gippsland couple returning from a QLD wedding and decided to return, driving via the NT, SA and then into Vic.
Remember hearing it just before NT annouced its restrictions.
Wonder if they made it.

Old 14-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #9075
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 13th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

14 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.173%. NSW recorded 7 cases, Victoria 3, Queensland / SA 2 and WA / NT recorded 1 each.

6 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.122% and active cases 65.

The UK had 47,525 cases yesterday and a new record high 1,564 deaths.

Just under 231.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and a new record high 4,489 deaths sees CMR rise to 1.668% and active cases at 39.2% with the raw numbers rising and now over 9.1M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 93M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Global deaths set a new daily high of 15,774.

Zambia (1,343);
UAE (3,362);
Tunisia (3,632) - 18% above the previous high;
Portugal (10,556);
Indonesia (11,278); and
Spain (38,669) - 53% above the previous high

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #9076
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Yeah damn stupid dumb stupid stupid arrogant people. Pitchforks and punishment! Keeping people in jobs, and living their lives, who do they think they are? Everyone should hide under a rock for two more years until this passes. That is what life is about.
I agree with you on this one ;)

From a personal perspective we also rolled the dice over Christmas. Went from rural NSW>ACT>MELB>TAS>NSW.

All permits done for the time, wore masks where we had too etc. Stayed away from any "red/hot spots".

Glad I did, I dont know if one of the Grandparents will make it through to next Christmas and we were trying to get down since Easter.

Naturally if they were in a hot spot etc then thats different, they were, but it was lifted some time ago.

We need to work with the virus and continue as normal as much as possible.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 14-01-2021 at 02:32 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2021, 02:24 PM   #9077
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 13th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

14 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.173%. NSW recorded 7 cases, Victoria 3, Queensland / SA 2 and WA / NT recorded 1 each.

6 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.122% and active cases 65.

The UK had 47,525 cases yesterday and a new record high 1,564 deaths.

Just under 231.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and a new record high 4,489 deaths sees CMR rise to 1.668% and active cases at 39.2% with the raw numbers rising and now over 9.1M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 93M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Global deaths set a new daily high of 15,774.

Zambia (1,343);
UAE (3,362);
Tunisia (3,632) - 18% above the previous high;
Portugal (10,556);
Indonesia (11,278); and
Spain (38,669) - 53% above the previous high

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.
Worrying that the African countries are starting to appear in the higher totals.

Old 14-01-2021, 02:26 PM   #9078
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
If you want to be a perfect little lapdog then go for it.

Honestly locking out people who were nowhere near any hot spots is way over the top!
Cheers
Old 14-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #9079
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I agree with you on this one ;)

From a personal perspective we also rolled the dice over Christmas. Went from rural NSW>ACT>MELB>TAS>NSW.

All permits done for the time, wore masks where we had too etc. Stayed away from any "red/hot spots".

Glad I did, I dont know if one of the Grandparents will make it through to next Christmas and we were trying to get down since Easter.

Naturally if they were in a hot spot etc then thats different, they were, but it was lifted some time ago.

We need to work with the virus and continue as normal as much as possible.
But did you stay away from other people who might have been in said Hotspots, (you couldn't possibly know that) thats the thing, we do not know where others have come from or lied about where they have been.

Remember at the time they closed the Vic border to NSW, all of NSW was considered a hotspot.

Old 14-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #9080
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post

Honestly locking out people who were nowhere near any hot spots is way over the top!
Cheers
I've got to say the Victorian approach to returning residents has me a little perplexed.

I was very pro-victoria in the way they eventually got things under control but it seems to me they abandoned their residents by locking them out over the holidays.

Got to say I am impressed with NSW, they are probably doing the best job of managing the health response without imposing undue hardship on their residents
Old 14-01-2021, 07:25 PM   #9081
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I've got to say the Victorian approach to returning residents has me a little perplexed.

I was very pro-victoria in the way they eventually got things under control but it seems to me they abandoned their residents by locking them out over the holidays.

Got to say I am impressed with NSW, they are probably doing the best job of managing the health response without imposing undue hardship on their residents
I think Daniel Andrews has taken a leaf out of Mark McGowan book by overreacting and being a bit too harsh at times.
Old 14-01-2021, 10:21 PM   #9082
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post

Cheers
Far from being a lapdog champ. Its being an adult and taking responsibility for choices you make.
My father in law was stuck in wa for 10 months as a fifo miner last year. He wasnt doing too great being away from the family for so long so took the risk to come back for Christmas. Come new years and he was looking for flights. The ones that fit his schedule was on i think the 6th of jan so booked and paid for. A day or 2 earlier wa closed again, even if he could get in (he cant) he'd have to pay for his own quarantine for 2 weeks aswell. So now he has no income, and no way to get it back for the foreseeable future. But even he isnt salty at anyone or crying poor me. It was a chance and he knew that.

So as for the idiots with a 30 foot van behind a dmax with 3 brats in the back seat, thinking the rules dont apply to them, make them truck the car over the border, fly in and quarantine for 2 weeks like another person i know that got stuck with a car and trailer in nsw going to qld at the first closure last year.

All these restrictions are for nothing if a few idiots can get around them on compassionate grounds
4 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2021, 10:32 PM   #9083
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Strange that there has been very little sympathy afforded to Australians wanting to come home to their own country, yet so many tears for people that knowingly went into or near a red zone during a pandemic.

If you haven't done so lately, take a stroll through Melb CBD one evening. It is starting to come alive again. Lots of people about and you can once again hear the music across the yarra. Myer Music Bowl tonight had some sort of event on which was sold out. 50% of private sector workers can return to office next week, 25% for public. Some level of certainty is returning, we are on our way to recovery, last thing we need is 5 - 10 new cases a day, especially of this "UK" strain, to dent confidence.

I spare my tears for Victorians who have been cut off from WA and for CBD retailers who have endured so much suffering, and had to wear the delay in workers returning to the office, all because of this NSW outbreak, which could have been killed off IF they had taken strong measures for a few weeks. Instead its going to drag on and on and on, they are talking 4 more weeks to "mop up".

I want to see NSW succeed. AFL season is not far off and it would be good to have 50-60,000 at the G again.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2021, 04:59 AM   #9084
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=cs123;6535058... It's a data visualisation tool based on the raw data. ..
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your input. When I saw"'Predicted" and "weighted" in the data twistie I guessed it was not truly raw data. So I decided to the analysis myself, as they allow you to download their figures. Also my goal was slightly different
My goal was simple and not looking at excess deaths, rather looking at total deaths compared to those from Respiratory Disease, between 2020, 2018 and the 4 year average (excluding the bad 2018).Did you see something wrong in my graph ? I will gladly revise.
If not, then my conclusion appears to stand.

For Respiratory Disease Deaths 2020 was 1.8% better than the average of 2015,16,17,19)

For Respiratory Disease Deaths 2020 was 5.6% better than 2018

For Total Deaths 2020 was 5.6% worse than the average of 2015,16,17,19)

For Total Deaths 2020 was 2.9% worse than 2018

Assuming that COVID-19 deaths are coded as Respiratory Disease then 2020 was actually not so bad. But even if we do not know where they were coded, 2020 was only 3% worse than a bad Flu year, and 6% worse than a good average year.

If anyone wants a copy of my dodgey excel, I can make it available via PM
My opinion is that 2020 was actually not as bad as I expected
(BTW: my qualifications and experience do not matter, criticise my numbers if they are wrong)
Old 15-01-2021, 06:50 AM   #9085
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vic and the feds exempt a covid positive American tennis player for the open and you all wonder why people have therories
Old 15-01-2021, 07:26 AM   #9086
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
Vic and the feds exempt a covid positive American tennis player for the open and you all wonder why people have therories
I thought that he tested positive for evidence of shedding DEAD covid cells ie he was not carrying an active virus...
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #9087
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
I thought that he tested positive for evidence of shedding DEAD covid cells ie he was not carrying an active virus...
Yep. Tested positive in Nov, he has provided all medical record to Aus officials, there has been no documented case in the world that someone viral shedding can be infectious. All players will be tested daily and they will be limited to one practice partner. If he is infectious then his partner will become positive pretty quickly and we'll know we have the first case in the world.

The bigger story is Andy Murray. If he has the "UK" strain then some parts of the world are requiring people to isolate for 21 days, not 14. That might mean he won't make it in time. If he makes it on the plane, then I'm worried.

Wait goes on for stranded Victorians as tennis players touch down
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...14-p56u5z.html

"One Victorian stranded on Sydney’s northern beaches told The Age on Thursday of his growing frustration with his home state’s government ...."

What kind of numptie goes into the bright red hot zone then whinges?

Last edited by T3rminator; 15-01-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old 15-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #9088
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 14th, 2021.

11 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.172%.
Queensland recorded while NSW / WA / NT recorded 2 cases each.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.122% and active cases 65.

The UK had 48,682 cases yesterday and 1,248 deaths.

Just over 240k new cases in the USA yesterday and 4,096 deaths sees CMR stay at 1.668% and active cases at 39.2% with the raw numbers rising and now over 9.2M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 94M, the last 1M in 1 day;
Global deaths pass 2M, the last 50k in 3 days;
Global deaths set a new daily high of 16,415 (13/1);
North America passes 27M cases;

Honduras (1,204) - the previous high on August 28th;
Uruguay (1,514) - 25% above the previous high;
Zambia (1,700) - 26% above the high yesterday;
Malaysia (3,337);
UAE (3,382);
Portugal (10,698);
Indonesia (11,557); and

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #9089
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
Fake news.
Old 15-01-2021, 06:15 PM   #9090
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

WHO team probing origin of virus arrives in China

Quote:
A World Health Organization (WHO) team has arrived in the Chinese city of Wuhan to start its investigation into the origins of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The long-awaited probe comes after months of negotiations between the WHO and Beijing.

A group of 10 scientists is set to interview people from research institutes, hospitals and the seafood market linked to the initial outbreak.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55657781

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/f...15-p56uh6.html

Wonder if they'll still find "bats" at the "seafood" market. Or is there much more to it than that?
Closed Thread