Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #271
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVETAR
Oh true that...... Altho, Ford just need to create a monster that just says, ****** you all....... :thebirds:
the rumoured GTHO V10 (might be a dream instead dont no)

the thing i hate is they tell us the new commo has more power and is faster than the Ford... and they are street cars...and there are speed limits....and isnt it about fuel econ now?
anyways figures are nothing its your right (sometimes left as well) foot + hands and your co-ordination that allow you to even put out the same figures...booo to superficial and royalty paid magazines

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #272
HSVETAR
Bring on the lion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
the rumoured GTHO V10 (might be a dream instead dont no)
Oooooo.... Maybe a bit ova the top. But what about a quad cam 5.8ltr... Bring back the 351....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
anyways figures are nothing its your right (sometimes left as well) foot + hands and your co-ordination that allow you to even put out the same figures...
I wonder wether its the same guy that does both the cars in the one test, and how many goes they have at it....
El falcon, 4.0, XR6 camshaft, pacemaker extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust with tri flow sports muffler, AU TE50 intake, with K&N panel filter, Advanti racing Stalker 17" rims, Sitting on Ultra Low King Springs, 'Gabriel' Ultras Lowered struts, NOW MANUAL, 3.45 LSD

9.694 @ 75.38 MPH at Mildura Drag Strip 1/8 Mile

XC Falcon project car underway......
HSVETAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #273
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

I find those facts nd results media biassed BS.

Why not keep an eye out on LS1 and see what happens as owners upgrade?

Whilst I am dying to have a drive of a VE SS and see the LS2 in action, i have a hard time buying te malarky from the press.

Oh, and why test a car in a straight line only?
Hello Holden has an all new suspension...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #274
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

The new LS2 is going to give the ford camp some serious curry, XR8 & GT vs LS2 - bring it on.....

LS2 will be keeping the boss owners in place.....

I want a VE!!! :

Old 10-09-2006, 09:09 PM   #275
Steffo
LPG > You

Saw a VE SS at a petrol station last week.

Basically, this is what I think...

Looks nice. Both inside and out. Goes pretty well from what I hear. Priced well too. Would I buy one? No. Does it live up to the hype thats been put to it? Nope. Its an OK car, but its not that special, it doesn't look like its $1.2 billion better then a VZ.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #276
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Saw a VE SS at a petrol station last week.

Basically, this is what I think...

Looks nice. Both inside and out. Goes pretty well from what I hear. Priced well too. Would I buy one? No. Does it live up to the hype thats been put to it? Nope. Its an OK car, but its not that special, it doesn't look like its $1.2 billion better then a VZ.
Steffo,

I work in the same complex as where Holden keep their press fleet in North Ryde.

Have sat in the HSV's, SS's Omega, the whole lot. See them every morning.

The SS is growing on me, but it needs to be lowered with 22 in ch rims, then it would look hot!

I am seeing if i can get a test drive of one......

Old 10-09-2006, 09:15 PM   #277
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Whilst I am dying to have a drive of a VE SS and see the LS2 in action, i have a hard time buying te malarky from the press.
SS & SS-V have the GenIV L98 6.0 engine, LS2 is HSV only.

Though if you already knew that and were referring to seeing an SS & HSV in action, then its my apologies.

:
Old 10-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #278
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Steffo,

I work in the same complex as where Holden keep their press fleet in North Ryde.

Have sat in the HSV's, SS's Omega, the whole lot. See them every morning.

The SS is growing on me, but it needs to be lowered with 22 in ch rims, then it would look hot!

I am seeing if i can get a test drive of one......
I wouldn't mind a VE GTS. I actually like that car a bit, but I'm not sure that it, IMO, presents a good enough package over the current Aussie sedan performance king, the F6 Typhoon. Its more expensive by what, almost 20 grand, has less bang-per-dollar tuning potential (factory turbo and/or supercharged will ALWAYS be better BFYB for getting easy power then factory N/A), its questionable whether its faster or not, its a whole lot thirstier (my uncle's VZ Maloo with the same engine drinks like mad) and the LS~ series engines haven't, from what I've seen, been the most reliable motors around, both here and stateside. Though I do like the interior more then BA/BF's, I've actually preferred the Holden interior since VY days over Ford's.

:
Old 10-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #279
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
SS & SS-V have the GenIV L98 6.0 engine, LS2 is HSV only.

Though if you already knew that and were referring to seeing an SS & HSV in action, then its my apologies.

Referring to both.... :

Old 10-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #280
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
What was the fuel consumption of the four cars tested?

FF
Don't take this the wrong way, but who cares, if you want economy by a Toyota or Honda Hybrid. Nobody buys a V8/I6T for their economy.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 09:24 PM   #281
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Looks like a vectra with an AU roof line to me..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 09:24 PM   #282
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Off topic, they do have economy.

8.4L P/100km in a I6T..........

BF XR6T....

Old 10-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #283
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a VE GTS. I actually like that car a bit, but I'm not sure that it, IMO, presents a good enough package over the current Aussie sedan performance king, the F6 Typhoon. Its more expensive by what, almost 20 grand, has less bang-per-dollar tuning potential (factory turbo and/or supercharged will ALWAYS be better BFYB for getting easy power then factory N/A), its questionable whether its faster or not, its a whole lot thirstier (my uncle's VZ Maloo with the same engine drinks like mad) and the LS~ series engines haven't, from what I've seen, been the most reliable motors around, both here and stateside. Though I do like the interior more then BA/BF's, I've actually preferred the Holden interior since VY days over Ford's.

True, but wouldn't you agree it is early days?

Whilst those motors tend to have a Monday, Friday rule, they do have some go in them.
You don't buy a 6 litre V8 for fuel economy either....

However, 550 NM @ 4 something rpm, and from seeing some other material, there is a lot more torque down lower, compared to the boss.

I am prepared to bet money that stock off the line, the LS2 will be kicking some serious ***, and close to, if not beating the F6. The right power and gearing is there.
Whilst the torque is not as sustained through the rpm band, it is matched, and should climb revs quicker being N/A...

Time will tell...

Old 10-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #284
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
True, but wouldn't you agree it is early days?

Whilst those motors tend to have a Monday, Friday rule, they do have some go in them.
You don't buy a 6 litre V8 for fuel economy either....

However, 550 NM @ 4 something rpm, and from seeing some other material, there is a lot more torque down lower, compared to the boss.

I am prepared to bet money that stock off the line, the LS2 will be kicking some serious ***, and close to, if not beating the F6. The right power and gearing is there.
Whilst the torque is not as sustained through the rpm band, it is matched, and should climb revs quicker being N/A...

Time will tell...
Oh yes, definitley still early days. The Typhoon has set a high benchmark to beat though. I'm not sure about the HSV being able to match it at lower revs, though it will probably have a higher-rpm advantage. 550Nm @ 2000-4250rpm with no less then 440Nm anywhere in the rev range is pretty tough to beat, especially with a naturally aspirated motor.

I also agree, you don't buy a 6.0 V8 for fuel economy, but there also has to be a line drawn. That the Typhoon is noticeably more economical is a plus for it IMO.

I can't wait to see a VE GTS vs BF Typhoon race.....

Sad to say but... no point even comparing it to the GT, it hasn't got a chance.

:
Old 10-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #285
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Sad to say but... no point even comparing it to the GT, it hasn't got a chance.

Go the HSV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil_laug :evil_laug :evil_laug

FPV are going to have to do something drastic, yet they were the ones who let it happen....

Old 13-09-2006, 07:07 AM   #286
owl

Default had a drive of new auto ss yesterday

this thing had some suck it would eat my gt i must say however it did not feel like a muscle car visually from inside it felt very european .the sales guy and family i have known for many years who own the business told me the gts is supposed to do 0 to 100 in 4.8 secs its due in in about a week and ill be taking it for a run
owl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #287
dogwatch2

With the better V8 performance from the new bombiedores Ford really need to lift there game with the eights and increase the power (and economy). Especially with the 3 valve.
dogwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #288
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Anymore details mate?????

Old 13-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #289
xr8ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl
this thing had some suck it would eat my gt i must say however it did not feel like a muscle car visually from inside it felt very european .the sales guy and family i have known for many years who own the business told me the gts is supposed to do 0 to 100 in 4.8 secs its due in in about a week and ill be taking it for a run
The articles I have read suggest 0-100 in under 5 seconds. The GTS has 275s on the rear so I think the good traction is one of the reasons for the quick time.
Old 13-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #290
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

I was vacuuming my car yesterday and looked across the road at the holden dealers to notice a new E series Clubsport sitting there. Thought WTF I'll cross over and look, It was instant love in the flesh they are fine first HSV to look like it was built by them them not a added parts SS or Berlina base. Then the sales dude comes walking over to it and gets in, God dam it's my lucky day, So he starts it up and it's very loud injectors dominate the engine sound upfront till it warms, Then the very nice exhaust note takes off not very loud but he wasn't stepping on it as he was just going across the road to the servo to fill up, It sat among the cars at the servo and stood out big then he took off around a corner and that was the last i seen of it.

The taillight look good when pressed it really takes the look from Commodore at the rear to HSV in that alone it was impressive, Like them taillights or not they make a surprisingly huge difference to it's appearance.
Old 13-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #291
McobraR
me may my mo

Saw an SS or SSV or SV6 today, white i think it was, i was driving the opposite way. I dont kno... if you thought the BA/BF's looks boxy, wait till you see the SS/SV6 on the road. The bonnet height looks really high, and overall it just makes the fords look slick. Maybe i'l have to see one more in detail. Just my 2c worth.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #292
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
I havent seen one, does that make me even more special?!?!? lol
Actually, i dont think i know for sure if i have seen one or not, from different angles it looks so similar to cars already on the market.

Healthy competition is great, but it doesnt mean i have to like the competition...or even give it a go, hell if i like, i can sit back and view it the first time with my, what was it called, "Ford blue coloured glasses" on and hate it from the outset BECAUSE it is a holden.

I dont like beer, i like rum. If a company hypes up a new beer as being 'new' 'different' 'unlike anything in the australian market' and when it comes out, i actually try it, my opinion is already half-formed anyway. Unless it is like no beer i have ever tasted, and reminds me of all the other crap beers i have tried then i will shove them into the same 'crappy alcohol' basket and get back to drinking my rum. Meanwhile my opinion gets shoved to the side by some 'neutral' alcohol lovers/appreciaters who says 'well if you stopped loving rum for just one second and saw that all alcohol has its merits and is good, then maybe you would like the new beer'.

(the world is easy to explain in alcohol terms!!! :baby bott )

We view everything in our world from whatever bias we are looking at an issue from. Just because im biased one way or another doesnt mean my opinion doesnt count though, i think it is sometimes the people who are automatically going to view it negatively that will see things which are a real downside, that those people with 'neutrality' just will not see until it is pointed out to them.

In the end, despite the 'hype' many people (not just the blue blooded ford fans) feel it is mediocre...at best!
Yeah, I totally agree! There are alot of great cars out there, and its worse in some ways better in others. Alot of people are falling for this marketing thats everywhere, if they did the same to a corolla everyone would be talking about that.
exrtnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #293
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Default 2008 - Interesting times for the VE Commodore

It seems Holden aren't going to stop enhancing this car.... As is known they are still working on shift patterns in the 5 and 6 speeders to bring the up to a much higher standard.

From Wheels this month there was an article detailing the following:-

To top this of apparently holden are looking at the 6L40 for the V6's and keeping the 6L80 in the V8's, this could mean the end of the four speeder by VEII or VF. Which will bring a price increase of only $500 - $1000

They are also looking at hybrid drive which is a gearbox with an eletric motor in it mated to the current 3.6 or maybe even a slightly smaller engine... but mated to the 3.6 it will achieve a fuel saving of up to 25%! At a premium of $5000 - $8000 though.

Cylinder shutdown system for V8's will apparently save approximatly 5 - 12% fuel and will come at a premium of only $250 - $750!

DIRECT FUEL INJECTION - This one is certain and will be hitting the street in V6 commodores in just of 12 months, early 2008, with power going from 195kw up to 215 kw and fuel consumption dropping from 11.3 to around 9.9, maybe better, and if the 6 speed auto comes through even better again. Price premium around $500 - $1000.

Should be interesting to see how many of these avenues they are looking at, they actually chase.

Stoney!
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #294
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Ford are probably following suit. Direct injection is already well into production in alot of european and japanese cars.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 03:02 PM   #295
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
It seems Holden aren't going to stop enhancing this car.... As is known they are still working on shift patterns in the 5 and 6 speeders to bring the up to a much higher standard.

From Wheels this month there was an article detailing the following:-

To top this of apparently holden are looking at the 6L40 for the V6's and keeping the 6L80 in the V8's, this could mean the end of the four speeder by VEII or VF. Which will bring a price increase of only $500 - $1000

They are also looking at hybrid drive which is a gearbox with an eletric motor in it mated to the current 3.6 or maybe even a slightly smaller engine... but mated to the 3.6 it will achieve a fuel saving of up to 25%! At a premium of $5000 - $8000 though.

Cylinder shutdown system for V8's will apparently save approximatly 5 - 12% fuel and will come at a premium of only $250 - $750!

DIRECT FUEL INJECTION - This one is certain and will be hitting the street in V6 commodores in just of 12 months, early 2008, with power going from 195kw up to 215 kw and fuel consumption dropping from 11.3 to around 9.9, maybe better, and if the 6 speed auto comes through even better again. Price premium around $500 - $1000.

Should be interesting to see how many of these avenues they are looking at, they actually chase.

Stoney!
Another VE 4: thread. sleep:

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #296
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Another VE 4: thread. sleep:

FF
Hey, your right, didnt even notice.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #297
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

At least Holden are moving their technolog forward. Apart from the ZF, the ford camp is pretty damn stale.....

Old 23-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #298
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

i want direct injection lol ford better release it in the i6 soon and it better bolt to the normal B series 4L block!

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #299
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
At least Holden are moving their technolog forward. Apart from the ZF, the ford camp is pretty damn stale.....
Pardon? The Ford donk is also sophisticated. 4 valves per cylinder, twin over head cams, variable valve timing on both the inlet and exhaust side. And this engine was released two years before Holden's Alloytech V6 (which has failed to live up to expectations). If you read all the VE vs BF comparissons, most of the journalists concluded that the Ford 6 cyl engine is better then the Holden 6 cyl engine.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #300
HSE2

I thought this was old news as it was in the VE launch edition of Wheels last month. Thought it was a nice touch to have only released a new car to be fielding questions on the next model all because Holden were perceived to have been ignorant of the current climate.

But just on the fuel economy front. I previously believed there wasn't much between a V8 and a Six if driven the same way. I have a BFXR6 four speed auto as a loan car and have been astonished with its fuel consumption. Spirited driving on roads (twisty hilly) that don't provide good economy provided a return of 9.9 litres.

I don’t know what Ford did with BF but it is the best fuel consumption I have witnessed from a Ford six. Moving forward Holden will have their work cut out matching it.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post