Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #271
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Default Re: The greatest ever Australian performance car

Racing stripe (optional) ......

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2017, 07:44 PM   #272
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Why all the bs?
All the Aussie muscle cars deserve respect, even if they aren't Fords.
G'day, Where did I say I didn't respect some fantastic cars built here that aren't Fords....There are some bloody great Holdens including the famous 327 Monaro's , the L34 Toranas , the incredible A9X ...several Commodores .. Then the mighty Chrysler Chargers that were just awesome...and still head turners..Love them..

Like I said...IN MY OPINION , not that too many care ( fair enough) it's the GTHO as the stand out performance car for me because so many of us still love those beasts nearly five decades on....It just happens to be a Ford, and special mention re questions of Aussie engines (Barra Turbo) , that re set the bar in 2002 for Australian powerplants...also a Ford product and a real soft spot for the sometimes overlooked '67 XR GT that was a catalyst to kick start the good natured excrement stirring tribal war between the Red and Blue camps that we've enjoyed so much over half a century so far .

Just how it is for me...Sorry if some AFF'ers think it looks like bias...
I think all of us agree though that all those fast Fords , Holdens , Chryslers , we have mentioned in this thread are going to be fondly remembered and cherished by those lucky enough to have owned or experienced them..No doubt the GTSR W1 is going to be one of those as time passes...

We might have the Mustang now , the Corvette's or Camaro's , Dodge offerings reported to be coming later on but none of them will have the same Aussie influence that the old Aussie dinosaurs that are the guts of this somewhat emotive thread.....Gone but never really forgotten though regardless of which badge they wear...

Cheers Rod...

Last edited by roddy1960; 16-05-2017 at 07:59 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #273
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all....Does anyone recall this episode of Marque from 38 years ago ?
There are some things that kinda/sorta relate to all this early in the episode with the Ford v Holden stuff and why performance was so important to both companies in the 60's and 70's...

The rest of the episode features how we incorporated other things to do with safety and structural integrity into cars that wasn't just about how fast they were..
Peter Wherrett fell off the perch a fair time ago now but Torque and Marque (ABC TV) showed he was a pretty good motoring journo...... and a bit of a fashionista was old Pete
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F-4...o#t=129.096935
..Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 16-05-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 16-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #274
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If people want to foam at the mouth over the W1 and think it is OK to put a crate engine in an existing car and call it performance king then here is my Ford Entry for this competition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70XvW4Yh5vw
It is street legal and probably cost a lot less to build.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2017, 09:55 PM   #275
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
If people want to foam at the mouth over the W1 and think it is OK to put a crate engine in an existing car and call it performance king then here is my Ford Entry for this competition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70XvW4Yh5vw
It is street legal and probably cost a lot less to build.
G'day ....Whoa..now that's a sleeper....bloody hell.....wouldn't that catch you unawares...and street legal is bloody awesome....What a motor...

Here's another bit of Peter Wherrett l in 1997 having a look and drive of the EL GT 30th Anniversary car..
Some thought the EL GT wasn't that good but she was a really distinctive GT..Brand new was nearly $70,000...
In the episode it also features some very special other cars we keep talking about..This is fun to watch I think...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYQIWYD2Ptk ...PW went to the great highway in the sky in 2009 aged 72..
Gotta look out for those fast XD's...Whoa again....Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 16-05-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 17-05-2017, 11:41 AM   #276
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Some thought the EL GT wasn't that good but she was a really distinctive GT..Brand new was nearly $70,000...
That's a very good point, the EL GT was nearly $70k when I bought a 3bdr home for $72k here in Adelaide.
A W1 is $170k and a 3bdr house is now worth $300k.

Thanks Roddy, that W1's not so expensive after all...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #277
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Yeah, pretty sure Falcon GT owners yawn when the go for a squirt, I gotta take No-doze when i drive my XR8

So... is carbon fiber cutting edge or not? Or only cutting edge on a Ford
No one has ever fitted carbon fibre wheels before. Carbon fibre panels/parts have been around since maybe the 70's? And as I said carbon fibre rear wing on the GTSR 20 years ago. But no one has been able to get the wheels made from carbon until now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #278
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
No one has ever fitted carbon fibre wheels before. Carbon fibre panels/parts have been around since maybe the 70's? And as I said carbon fibre rear wing on the GTSR 20 years ago. But no one has been able to get the wheels made from carbon until now.
Boss XR8- I think this may be correct in production high volume cars, but high end hyper cars have been making carbon fibre wheels- for instance the Koenisegg 1.1 hand made carbon fibre wheels. Very expensive time consuming work.

But Ford has managed using that Melbourne Monash centre to implement a manufacturing process to allow more automated systems in carbon fibre wheel production.

So I agree with you- carbon fibre wheels are cutting edge now, especially high volume- wish I could get 4 for my car....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #279
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
You’re right, it’s pretty hard to find a car manufacturer that offers one piece carbon fibre rims as standard fit or even as an option for road going cars and in my books that makes it cutting edge.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/552...FdgmvQodGTENUQ

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...4cc648dbd7533f

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #280
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
That's a very good point, the EL GT was nearly $70k when I bought a 3bdr home for $72k here in Adelaide.
A W1 is $170k and a 3bdr house is now worth $300k.

Thanks Roddy, that W1's not so expensive after all...
G'day , The FG GTF was about $ 81,000 in 2014 though...So they only went up about $11,000 in the next 17 years...I was reading a Wheels article about the W1 at lunch time and they said the brakes are so good they could stop communism..It was a good read...Nice car....Cheers Rod..
Old 17-05-2017, 08:14 PM   #281
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
But Ford has managed using that Melbourne Monash centre to implement a manufacturing process to allow more automated systems in carbon fibre wheel production.
Do you mean Deakin Uni ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #282
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoureverFord View Post
Anybody ever heard of an Australian designed & built car, called the Bolwell Nagari, could be fitted with Ford or holden Motors, the MKVIII, you could put a 351 cleveland into it, go like a scalded cat, scream baby scream. body was fibreglass & came in a kit, you could build it yourself.
The original Nagari was never available as a kit car - it was built at the Bolwell Factory. The kit car was the earlier Mk VII.

http://www.motoring.com.au/forgotten...nagari-105539/

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2017, 11:52 PM   #283
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Do you mean Deakin Uni ?
Yeah- just typed quick while at work, Ford used Carbon Revolution, an Australian privately owned company who got govt funding and worked with Deakin University and RMIT University on the technology.

Would like to see them rolling out these wheels to us right here for a good price.....only for the Ford FGX XR8 owners, bugger Holdens, HSV, and you hoover 6 boys, and not at $11,850.00 for 4 CR9 wheels in what is US dollars, but much less to us, say $7,000 AUS would be bearable.....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 18-05-2017 at 12:07 AM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2017, 12:45 AM   #284
Bayson
Banned

Holden has done a great job promoting the commodore VF2 SS, it will probably be regarded as the greatest performance car Australia has produced with most people choosing to own one out of the modern cars.

Through the years the best muscle car always had the most power. Historically At the end of any comparison the car with the most grunt won. In a period where the direct rival fgx xr8 pulverised the commodore SS for power and torque, Holden has been able to sell the other bits of the SS to leave it smelling like roses.

It's sad the last falcon despite its awesome muscle car credentials will be regarded as behind the times with its seating position, no blind spot alert or head up display.

I tip my hat to Holden, good sell.
Bayson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #285
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayson View Post

It's sad the last falcon despite its awesome muscle car credentials will be regarded as behind the times with its seating position, no blind spot alert or head up display.
Yep, because who would buy any form of muscle car without that stuff
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #286
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

10 pages of drivel by some and still going.
The typical Pub test discussion, always been the bigGer dick syndrome or I know better than you....one of our worst traits.
How can anyone pick 1 car as the Greatest of our own.
To compare what was Greatest in decades back to later or to these last versions is beyond comprehension.
Bayson ? are you trolling lol, Bossxr8 pretty much summed your post up.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #287
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayson View Post
Holden has done a great job promoting the commodore VF2 SS, it will probably be regarded as the greatest performance car Australia has produced with most people choosing to own one out of the modern cars.

Through the years the best muscle car always had the most power. Historically At the end of any comparison the car with the most grunt won. In a period where the direct rival fgx xr8 pulverised the commodore SS for power and torque, Holden has been able to sell the other bits of the SS to leave it smelling like roses.

I tip my hat to Holden, good sell.
I drive a tuned up SSVr. My tuned up territory smokes it. Over 6 liters of engine and still weak power. Great car though. Just a slug.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 18-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #288
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Boss XR8- I think this may be correct in production high volume cars, but high end hyper cars have been making carbon fibre wheels- for instance the Koenisegg 1.1 hand made carbon fibre wheels. Very expensive time consuming work.

So I agree with you- carbon fibre wheels are cutting edge now, especially high volume- wish I could get 4 for my car....
Strange though as aftermarket Carbon rims for bikes have been around for years,almost bought a set of BSTs so long ago ive forgotten but to be honest i didnt as on a purely road ridden bike i had concerns re how they would last.
Old 19-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #289
Sioso
irregular member

A bit optimistic I think,
Calais Director
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-4745672/?Cr=0
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #290
Bayson
Banned

I think my post has been misunderstood, I am a staunch ford fan and believe the last xr8 is superior to the Holden offering.

However I am commending Holden for selling a muscle car for its non muscle car attributes and somehow coming out smelling like roses.

I think the xr8 has been misjudged on attributes that don't really make a muscle car. If Holden had a raunchy supercharger under the hood of its SS and the xr8 didn't, how much would Holden rub that point in?

The average Joe public regards the commodore as the better car than the last xr8, maybe even on looks alone, but I just don't see how the supercharged engine of the xr8 with close to 100kw more than the SS commodore can be countered by Holden with silly blind alert, head up display and remote start etc etc.

Holden did a great job to muddy the waters
Bayson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #291
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

The SS commodore is the better car. It's just a slug.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 19-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #292
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite happy with the way mine performs arron
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #293
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I think mines great to. Until I drive my F6. So under powered.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 19-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #294
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

are you comparing your modded F6 to your stock SSV ?
If so moot point no ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #295
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day.....Has anyone watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qUR42n5JPU ....Two things during this vid ...
1...The reporter was 'not wanting to think about those tyres grip when it was wet'...So if there's any truth to that ....Kind of a worry if you got caught in a downpour..
2. He said ..."This'll be our generation's Phase 3 for sure ".
I keep sayin' it ....The best part of 50 years on and it's still the car ,even this mob compare the new stuff to...
Got to say though ..It's a bloody nice car , is the W1.....
Cheers Rod...

Last edited by roddy1960; 19-05-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 19-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #296
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
are you comparing your modded F6 to your stock SSV ?
If so moot point no ?
Nah my SSVR is modded. a massive 250rwkw Just is still slow.....

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 19-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #297
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Nah my SSVR is modded. a massive 250rwkw Just is still slow.....
How much does your F6 have though for comparisons sake?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2017, 09:00 PM   #298
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Xtreme Ford Tuning

3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2017, 11:09 PM   #299
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Yeah I'd bet that would be a **** load of fun so no wonder your SSVR is a slug in comparison
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2017, 12:23 AM   #300
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

The commodore is a slug even compared to my territory. They just don't perform great for such a big engine. Great car to drive though.

Xtreme Ford Tuning