Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What type of Engine do you prefer?
4.0L Turbo I6 461 47.67%
5.4L V8 467 48.29%
Neither, I'm a 4cyl fan 11 1.14%
Candy 28 2.90%
Voters: 967. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #301
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS027
Sorry the 5.4 sound impressive on paper... quad cams, 290kw's and the rest. However the "over square" bore x stroke, lack of revs, top heavy placement in the BA/BF... no thanks. Love the sound, but typhoon's T-I6 all the way thanks.
Whats with this over square stuff,Ive heard it mentioned a few times,how would it even make a difference? cube for cube?
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #302
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Always been a V8 man but found the Ford V8 really lacking down low/middle and for ME after driving the Turbo 6 it was a no brainer decision.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:55 AM   #303
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im an I6 > V8 convert

if you want good power and that audio orgasm go the v8. if you want cheep power go the i6T
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 01:08 AM   #304
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This topic is bound to cause many a pub argument... :
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 06:49 PM   #305
Wally
XP Coupe

wrong post
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #306
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well if you think about it like this, if turbos are faster then why are the top fuel drag cars all V8's

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #307
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker
well if you think about it like this, if turbos are faster then why are the top fuel drag cars all V8's
Or if you think about it like this, why arent there any turbo's in the V8 supercars? Thats because turbos are crap.
Old 18-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #308
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker
That's because V8s are king. :sm_headba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEn0I...elated&search=

This is why people fall in love, with V8s.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #309
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
That's because V8s are king. :sm_headba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEn0I...elated&search=

This is why people fall in love, with V8s.
There actually blower cams and have since been replaced with a smaller cam, sounds sick tho. Not bad power for a 3v either.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #310
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can't compare V8 and I6. You just can't.

Chalk and cheese.

However, my prefernce lies with the 4.0 litre. Just a brilliant motor with grunt all over the dial. Best Aussie made engine ever IMO.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #311
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Or if you think about it like this, why arent there any turbo's in the V8 supercars? Thats because turbos are crap.
Wow, I'm sold by that compelling argument. Pure genius. :
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #312
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

when i think of turbos i think of Jap Crap! i know its not all ways the case as the XR6T and the Typhoon etc are great cars and no where near being ricers. its just an image thats in my head, like fast and the furious crap.

so for me i gotta be the big aussie block with a V8, not that i own one but i hope to one day! you simply CANNOT beat the sound of a V8, i dont care what anyone says because its so so true! plus the mussle of a V8 is second to none!
Old 19-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #313
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
the removal of turbos from the ATCC had nothing to do with them being inferior, more to do with the fact that the v8s of the time couldn't catch them so rather than let the series turn into an imitation european or japanese touring car series, they changed the format - seems to have worked ok...

nothing wrong with turbos though, one or two on my v8 would be nice...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #314
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Personal preference is V8. The 8 cylinder symphony and that magic induction roar of a 5.4. The turbo may go faster, quicker cheaper to run etc so they have their place and I wont knock anyone who has one nor will I bag the XR6T or Typhoon.
Old 19-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #315
gozza

I like 4's 6's 8's Rotaries. Turbo's

If the car has had love and time put into i'll admire it for what its worth
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 06:40 PM   #316
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
I like 4's 6's 8's Rotaries. Turbo's

If the car has had love and time put into i'll admire it for what its worth
So very true mate.

I have respect for any modded car, but V8s top the list.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 10:56 AM   #317
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBA
"5g on turbo does 12s"

"5g on v8 still does 14sec"

where did you get that from????

if spent correctly 5g can get a boss into the high 12s...and certainly a lot better than 14s

$400-$600 blue power cai or filter snorkel and power pipe
3-$500 underpulleys
$50-thermostat
$100-tb spacer
got my diphillipo tuned length headers for $550 installed
$1000 flash tuner
$1200 4.11 diff gears
$600 cat back exhaust
$500 custom tune for all the above

total about $4500-$5000
if your boss aint knockin on a high 12's door there is something wrong
and if it takes about 5 g for a turbo to do 12s well then there aint much difference at all.....
not to mention the sound and its still normally aspirated
No one anywhere will get a full defilipo system for $1150 fitted. They are closer to 3grand all up fitted including headers, cats and cat back. That's new, so obviously second hand will be cheaper, but lets compare apples with apples.

As for the diff gears 1200 will get you the gears fitted on a ute only. A sedan would be closer to 2k due to the IRS cradle needing to be dropped as the diff can only come out from the top.

Let me tell you now, it takes a lot less than 5k to get a turbo into the 12s. Typhoons will get there stock. Every other turbo should get very close to a 12 with a custom flash tune. Some even have ran a 12.9 with just a tune.

5 grand on a turbo will get you a Flash tune ($1500), Blueprinted injectors ($300), fuel pump ($150), F6 CAI with filter ($250), Cat ($300), Nizpro Valve springs ($300) and intercooler ($600).

All up for parts and a flash tune is $3,400. I'll be generous here and say that $1500 would cover labour for those above parts fitted. With a combo like that you'd have around 300rwkw and run mid 11's on M/T streets.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #318
timace

I6. I've always been a fan of sixes and that they can be sleepers
timace is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #319
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
No one anywhere will get a full defilipo system for $1150 fitted. They are closer to 3grand all up fitted including headers, cats and cat back. That's new, so obviously second hand will be cheaper, but lets compare apples with apples.

As for the diff gears 1200 will get you the gears fitted on a ute only. A sedan would be closer to 2k due to the IRS cradle needing to be dropped as the diff can only come out from the top.

Let me tell you now, it takes a lot less than 5k to get a turbo into the 12s. Typhoons will get there stock. Every other turbo should get very close to a 12 with a custom flash tune. Some even have ran a 12.9 with just a tune.

5 grand on a turbo will get you a Flash tune ($1500), Blueprinted injectors ($300), fuel pump ($150), F6 CAI with filter ($250), Cat ($300), Nizpro Valve springs ($300) and intercooler ($600).

All up for parts and a flash tune is $3,400. I'll be generous here and say that $1500 would cover labour for those above parts fitted. With a combo like that you'd have around 300rwkw and run mid 11's on M/T streets.
Boss PD blower and custom tune $5,ooo and around 3oorwkw, should be good for a 12 flat with traction.
Old 20-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #320
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Boss PD blower and custom tune $5,ooo and around 3oorwkw, should be good for a 12 flat with traction.
Is that the base CAPA blower? $3990 and then you need a custom tune and flash box. We'll say $5,500. And with a stock exhaust and intake I think you'd be very lucky to hit 300rwkw.

If the blowers you're talking about are the ones I'm thinking of, then I havn't heard very good reports on them. From what I've heard they don't provide much down low and need to rev to get anywhere. Lacking low down punch goes against the nature of a supercharger IMO.
Old 20-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #321
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Is that the base CAPA blower? $3990 and then you need a custom tune and flash box. We'll say $5,500. And with a stock exhaust and intake I think you'd be very lucky to hit 300rwkw.

If the blowers you're talking about are the ones I'm thinking of, then I havn't heard very good reports on them. From what I've heard they don't provide much down low and need to rev to get anywhere. Lacking low down punch goes against the nature of a supercharger IMO.
Stock intake is a great bit of gear, why do you think no one is posting result's of their after market unit's. Because they don't make stuff all. It'll hit 3oorwkw with the stock exhaust, it actually doesn't flow to bad.

Yes they are, of course they won't provide massive low down power. How does low down grunt go agasint the nature of a s/c and sidemount unit will require rpm to get it to make boost. Remember Bluepower went 1o.9* with one of these little blower's on a stock engine, although he also had a full zorst and a stall.
Old 20-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #322
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Wow, I'm sold by that compelling argument. Pure genius. :

Sarcasm is lost on the intehnet.
Old 21-12-2006, 01:06 PM   #323
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Stock intake is a great bit of gear, why do you think no one is posting result's of their after market unit's. Because they don't make stuff all. It'll hit 3oorwkw with the stock exhaust, it actually doesn't flow to bad.

Yes they are, of course they won't provide massive low down power. How does low down grunt go agasint the nature of a s/c and sidemount unit will require rpm to get it to make boost. Remember Bluepower went 1o.9* with one of these little blower's on a stock engine, although he also had a full zorst and a stall.
Stock plenums flow very well I agree with you there mate! It's the airboxes that don't flow all that well but you ditch them anyway. What's the stock exhaust? Twin 2.25"? The turbo guys can run 280rwkw before the stock ehxaust catback provides any restriction. Don't see why this would be different on the boss. I'ts just the headers I'd be worried about as they seem small with primitive press bends.
Old 27-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #324
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I love the turbo, heaps of fun, but can't go passed a BOSS for that hair-raising scream. So it gets my vote, only just.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #325
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Now"5g on a turbo to do 12s" that was a quote i took from a previous thread of which i was quoting,no doubt spending the money on a turbo gets great results i was stating that spending the money on the right places on a boss can get good results too. i bought all my parts new and had most of them fitted proffesionally and know whats involved and where did i say that the cat back system i was quoted was di phillipo
i have spent less than 5g on my xr8 auto, and priced and paid for all these things new so dont tell me what it costs. and still have standard cat back
exhaust, and run consistent 13 flats on full street trim and tyres with 2.1-2.2 6o's, so mid to high twelves with slicks/mt's, not 14's as previously said
JAYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #326
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBA
Now"5g on a turbo to do 12s" that was a quote i took from a previous thread of which i was quoting,no doubt spending the money on a turbo gets great results i was stating that spending the money on the right places on a boss can get good results too. i bought all my parts new and had most of them fitted proffesionally and know whats involved and where did i say that the cat back system i was quoted was di phillipo
i have spent less than 5g on my xr8 auto, and priced and paid for all these things new so dont tell me what it costs. and still have standard cat back
exhaust, and run consistent 13 flats on full street trim and tyres with 2.1-2.2 6o's, so mid to high twelves with slicks/mt's, not 14's as previously said
There's a tune only BF GT running 13.2's, not bad for a stock Boss.
Old 30-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #327
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
There's a tune only BF GT running 13.2's, not bad for a stock Boss.
And theres filter only F6's running 12.7s. Not bad for stock Phoons. And a lot better base to start from. Don't get me wrong I love the BOSS but from my experiences I just can't pass up a turbo for performance and BFYB.
Old 30-12-2006, 02:31 PM   #328
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And theres filter only F6's running 12.7s. Not bad for stock Phoons. And a lot better base to start from. Don't get me wrong I love the BOSS but from my experiences I just can't pass up a turbo for performance and BFYB.
Both are running in different states(GT in QLD and F6 in Vic) And grant it that the GT ran it's time in Summer and in QLD "The home of humidity" and the F6 in winter, in Vic "best air around". I would then put them both square with each other....

If you are going to make comparaisons, do it by comparing them on the same track, same day. Other wise your trying to compare Apples with oranges... I am not 100% positive, But I think the Phoon had the ecu tickled when it ran 12.7.... I am sure Spoolman will be able to correct me if I am wrong....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 12:08 AM   #329
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FACT: XR6 Turbo is faster than XR8 (same driver, same conditions, etc)

FACT: F6 Typhoon is faster than a GT (same driver, same conditions, etc)

FACT: Ford has always (with the exception of AUII and AUIII) built 6's that are as fast or (in most cases) faster than it's V8's and even David Flint (and various other Ford execs who have been interviewed) have admitted this.

FACT: V8's have a nicer ambience and a better feel than an I6. V8's make you feel like your dick is at least twice it's regular size when you are driving one.

FACT: V8's sound better than I6's (unless your talking the I6T, then it's down to prefference because the I6T sounds friggin horn!)

FACT: Getting, say, 300rwkw will be less costly with an I6T than it would be with a V8.

FACT: You can get a V8 nut to admit (mid arguement, mind you) that a 90's XR6 is quicker than an XR8 or SS Commodore of the same era.

FACT: Seinfeld is, without doubt, the BEST comedy EVER!

FACT: You can not compare V8 and I6 and end up with a clear winner!
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 12:55 AM   #330
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
FACT: XR6 Turbo is faster than XR8 (same driver, same conditions, etc)

FACT: F6 Typhoon is faster than a GT (same driver, same conditions, etc)

FACT: Ford has always (with the exception of AUII and AUIII) built 6's that are as fast or (in most cases) faster than it's V8's and even David Flint (and various other Ford execs who have been interviewed) have admitted this.

FACT: V8's have a nicer ambience and a better feel than an I6. V8's make you feel like your dick is at least twice it's regular size when you are driving one.

FACT: V8's sound better than I6's (unless your talking the I6T, then it's down to prefference because the I6T sounds friggin horn!)

FACT: Getting, say, 300rwkw will be less costly with an I6T than it would be with a V8.

FACT: You can get a V8 nut to admit (mid arguement, mind you) that a 90's XR6 is quicker than an XR8 or SS Commodore of the same era.

FACT: Seinfeld is, without doubt, the BEST comedy EVER!

FACT: You can not compare V8 and I6 and end up with a clear winner!
I agree with everything except that the V8s were faster than the 6s from EL2 onwards. My AU XR8 ran a mid 14 second quarter with just a K&N panel filter, straight thru mufflers and a shift kit.