Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What type of Engine do you prefer?
4.0L Turbo I6 461 47.67%
5.4L V8 467 48.29%
Neither, I'm a 4cyl fan 11 1.14%
Candy 28 2.90%
Voters: 967. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #361
SP.UTE1
Burning Up 98 Octane

Can I have one vote for each as the wife now owns the F6 and my new Boss ute is on the way. Ultimate fence sitter. :
BBB
Old 27-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #362
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
wow dude that would have been great, too bad you didnt. carby or injected.?.carby would not have been that economical, or possibly that reliable.

The only reason i havent "reached" the 250kw mark is that i still have standard internals. the 1.8l engine already made the power on the dyno last year on 22psi but i dont want push standard pistons and rods that far in a daily driver. im waiting on parts, so im not just blowing my own trumpet, or stiring for the sake of it
the car weighs less than 1100kgs(weighbridge prior to "diet")

9l on the highway... i highly doubt that you could do that in real world. how do i know this? because i drive my 6 cyl fairmont ghia on the highway everyday.i do 850 kms every week. if you could keep it under 100kmh:hihi:.. youd go close (10l in a manual i reckon) but not 9s.
my car is serviced regularly and is stock as rock on normal unleaded fuel.

like i said i voted 4cyl thats not to say i dont like my 6's or eights i just cant vote for an engine i dont own... if i had to chose between the 6t and the 8... id go the 6t
My iron blocked, iron headed, V8 '65 mustang weighs 50kg's more. Sounds awesome anywhere from idle to full noise. Gets 12/100k's when I give it a bit and not just cruising on the highway. It has a carby.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #363
adrianb

V8s for sure. No substitute for cubes.

A turbo I6 might be cheaper to mod initially from stock but at some point you're going to run out of bolt-on mods and thats where cubes wins and then you can strap on a blower or turbos anyhow.

As for handling, honestly, if we're talking BA falcons don't kid yourself they're an overweight barge in either form. If you want a car that handles like its on rails you wouldnt be in a Falcon, period.

The fuel economy argument is a bit silly too - people talking about 'OMG BOOST MAEN!!!11!!" then saying they get better fuel economy?

The difference for me is linear power and a nice flat torque curve, not nothing til you're on boost then all hell for 3000RPM til redline. Having said that, out of the box the BOSS could definitely do better than it does in this regard also.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #364
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love the Boss powered Falcons and FPVs... but if I gotta buy a Falcon or FPV, i'd prefer turbo'ed 6 anyday of the week.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #365
MattyJ

I always prefered the turbos... but now when i'm considering buying a boss or a turbo i honestly can't decide! It's the hardest decision in the world!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #366
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm tossing up between a XR6T and a VE-SS (to buy next year). I like the perceived fuel economy of the Turbo and the flawless ZF but I like the V8's extra pace and nicer note.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 10:50 PM   #367
steamin63
old skool

v8 rule but the turbos are pulling some massive numbers unopened. even the ricer boys are impressed.
steamin63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #368
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3
I'm tossing up between a XR6T and a VE-SS (to buy next year). I like the perceived fuel economy of the Turbo and the flawless ZF but I like the V8's extra pace and nicer note.
What extra pace?

I prefer the V8, myself, mainly for the sound and "feel". There is no performance advantage.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #369
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Instant Power. Dont you mean after you have 3000rpm on the dial......... the 5.4 has no low down torque stock, it sucks. My turbo I dont need to gear down to overtake, my BA XR manual I did........
Actually, the 5.4 has loads of torque down low, problem is it doesn't have the power to match because of the quad cam design...look at the 3v V8's, once modded they have no problem pulling from 1500rpm.

I should know, I've owned both cars.

V8's have something that cannot possibly be replaced by a Turbo I6, even if it makes 350rwkw. V8's have soul, they have character, sure they're heavy motors and they understeer but when you're cruising along @ 1500rpm on a quiet night and you can almost hear every cylinder firing in that beautiful V8 note, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Turbo's are all about power and lots of it, I say power isn't everything, and even if power was everything, a 5.4L DOHV V8 with a 12psi intercooled supercharger will walk all over a Turbo I6 anyday of the week. Again proving that Turbo's have nothing on the V8's...

And then there's the fury at the top end, I'm sorry but I can't agree with people who say a Turbo I6 sounds as good as a V8 once you boot it, even with a full exhaust they still sound like vacuum cleaner's with a nice whistle.

Okay that's my rant over...V8's FOREVER!!!!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 01:44 AM   #370
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I've been in all 3. Turbo, 3V and 4V. The turbo goes, but not what I expected. I guess I'm a sucker for that V8 throb.
Old 23-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #371
ford_baute

Go the V8 i had to choose between xr6 turbo and xr8 ute when i last upgraded. The six was nice but the note of the V8 was simpley awsome
Need less to say i now drive a BA xr8 ute :
ford_baute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #372
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU3 HERROD XR8
Real cars don't whistle.. they roar
Is that what you tell yourself when the real performance cars go whistling by you
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #373
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Going off a brief discussion in the 'show n shine' section under the 'show us ya BA' thread, I thought I'd start this poll... The rest is self explanatory...

Basically - is a Turbo 6 (XR6T, Typhoon) your type of engine or are you a V8 (XR8, GT) man... Just used the cars in the brackets as an example - would prefer you to vote on which ENGINE you prefer - not which car! Cheers :hihi:
I'm confused - you ask about two specific engines but include three in the poll.

Anyhow, I couldn't possibly vote 'cos I like 'em all.

I don't own a B series turbo or BOSS motor. But my son has had a BA XR6T ute and currently has a BF X6RT sedan so I have had plenty of drives in that kind of "motor". Personally, I prefer my 4.1L turbo motor probably because it comes on boost earlier and drives more like a V8. Except it doesn't rev. But for cheap "moddability" and very good straight line preformance the new generation turbos are very hard to go past. I have friends who own BOSS cars and I'm very unimpressed with their performance mainly I suppose because I drive a T3 as a daily driver and they are slugs (heavy ones at that) when compared to mine. I've also had extended test drives in both BA 5-speed manual versions and BF 6-speed auto and manual versions at times when I contemplated buying one. The BOSS sounds good and that is about as much performance as it has. OK, that's a bit harsh but truly it is a disappointing motor when compared to the alternative offerings available - so much more should be done with it. I wish Ford would wake it up. The 3V motor is a much more pleasureable drive in the burbs. The BOSS is suited to the open road.

Also love my four - nothing like a quick blat on a twisty mountain road in the RS2000 with the little Pinto on song between 4500 and 6500 rpm to get the adrenalin flowing.

Oh, and you didn't include V6 motors ... like in my Capri GT3000 ... now there's a motor that DOES sound as good as a V8. It's like the BOSS, doesn't actually go as good as it sounds but who gives a f..., it's just magic to burble around town in and get the heads turning.

Ahh yes, motors. Just give me a motor, any motor; I luv 'em all. But please no two-strokes!
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #374
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

V8 wins hands down. Theres nothing on this earth quite like the sound of a V8 at full noise.

I drive an EB2 XR6 with pacemaker extractors and a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with a muffler and a hotdog. It sounds really good until I pull up next to a V8 with the same exhaust setup!!

An V8 will always win the sound contest, they make I6's sound guttless. As Bent8 said, V8's have soul!!
Old 23-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #375
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

There's nothing like a V8, usually people who disagree with that dont own one.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #376
old_phoon

The voting is pretty even so is the V8 / I6T choice mainly a "generational" question? I know this is a generalisation but perhaps the V8 voters are older and the I6T votes, younger?
Frank
Of course I'm the opposite - 50yrs old with a F6.....but I'd still be happy in a GT / GTP.
Old 23-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #377
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_phoon
The voting is pretty even so is the V8 / I6T choice mainly a "generational" question? I know this is a generalisation but perhaps the V8 voters are older and the I6T votes, younger?
Frank
Of course I'm the opposite - 50yrs old with a F6.....but I'd still be happy in a GT / GTP.
Not at all mate, I'm 19 and I'm a V8 lover, turbos dont hit my buttons right, they remind me of Jap Rice cars. Sure they'd be fun to drive, especially when boost comes on but I'd much prefer the sound and pure muscle of a V8. Most of my mates are V8 lovers too so what your saying isnt really correct.
Old 23-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #378
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
Not at all mate, I'm 19 and I'm a V8 lover, turbos dont hit my buttons right, they remind me of Jap Rice cars. Sure they'd be fun to drive, especially when boost comes on but I'd much prefer the sound and pure muscle of a V8. Most of my mates are V8 lovers too so what your saying isnt really correct.

Couldnt agree more mate, im 23 and iv only ever owned V8's,mate of mine has a XR6T with 300 rwkw's and probly goes a bit harder than my car, but at the end of the day it doesnt have that raw power feel that a V8 does and just doesnt do it for me.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #379
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Turbo engines seem to be easier to tune than the BOSS, so for me it is the... pretty obvious!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #380
TUF270
BACK IN AN FG TURBO

i drive a XR6 turbo ute, and i love the power of the turbo and all the rice noises...but i also love a nice meaty V8. so im kinda split...i think ill hav 2 get a GT n put on a turbo or something...ha ha
TUF270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #381
TUF270
BACK IN AN FG TURBO

i drive a XR6 turbo ute, and i love the power of the turbo and all the rice noises...but i also love a nice meaty V8. so im kinda split...i think ill hav 2 get a GT and put on a turbo or something...ha ha

and im 20 n i like both...probly lean more 2 turbo but would b happy wit either...
TUF270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #382
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_phoon
I dont think you can make that generalization. I have some Aussie friends that love their V8s and others that just LOVE Japanese cars, turbos, 6cyl. etc etc
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #383
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Oh, and you didn't include V6 motors ... like in my Capri GT3000 ... now there's a motor that DOES sound as good as a V8. It's like the BOSS, doesn't actually go as good as it sounds but who gives a f..., it's just magic to burble around town in and get the heads turning.
Mate, I couldn't agree with you more on that. I had just the same and it was music to my ears. I miss that car dearly... got rid of it... in a head-on collision :

I guess I'm like you T3man, I love any hard revving donk, but I've already had my vote here - the BOSS!!! I just can't get that scream outta my head.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #384
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Surely this question and poll has been asked so many times now!!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #385
4VCLEVO
XA GT

the V8s have my vote
4VCLEVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #386
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVO_XR6
Surely this question and poll has been asked so many times now!!
Um, if you had a look - this is nearly a 2 year old thread - so the replies and votes have been collected over nearly 2 years, and with everyone having just 1 vote.

So it's not like posts and votes in this thread are a 're-post'.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #387
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over 900 votes and only 6 votes the difference. Good to see
Old 08-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #388
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Okay here's a little video to convert all the Turbo guys ;)

And for all the V8 fans...ENJOY!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qCn8lwPvtc

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #389
fordxrtfan

T6 has my vote
fordxrtfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 02:18 AM   #390
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
Okay here's a little video to convert all the Turbo guys ;)

And for all the V8 fans...ENJOY!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qCn8lwPvtc
"This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."

Hrmm, is that link a metaphor - it's useless, and although it sounds good and gets your anticipation up, once you actually get around to using it, it doesn't provide anywhere near the enjoyment you were hoping for? Sounds like the 8 ;)