Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #421
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 
Default Re: Major Ford announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
An interesting commentary in The Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/why...523-2k2n4.html
Seriously? The ad before the video for me was a bloody Kia
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 23-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #422
Bossxr8
Peter Car

FPV is finished too, they will not be sticking FPV badges on other Fords.

While leaving work I noticed the TV crews setting up out the front of the plant, pulling out cameras from the back of 2 brand new Klugers, and I couldn't help but shake my head at the irony.
7 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #423
JG34JA

Thank you Ford for making Australian designed and built cars for so long. The history in itself is something to be proud of. The bang for our buck we received with our last new Territory, when you compare it to the cost of a similar concept luxury BMW SUV, was phenomenal. Thank you for building a truly reliable, solid car. To drive the Alpine roads in midwinter, knowing I am powered by the Last Australian Engine, mated with AWD and the ZF, is a thrill that can't be purchased again.

So we watch and wait for AUD to break 0.95. We see the mining projects stall and staff layoffs increase as the commodities prices fall. How were the 1930's again? Those BMW's aren't going to get cheaper at 0.80 or less. Nor is fuel, so let us close our refineries. A nation without manufacturing that is hostile to production and Capital becomes poorer and the hatchet job is almost complete. So I mourn the loss of Aussie built Falcons, Falcon Utes and Territories, and I know full-well what's coming to Australia.

Poor fellow, my country.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #424
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
FPV is finished too, they will not be sticking FPV badges on other Fords.

While leaving work I noticed the TV crews setting up out the front of the plant, pulling out cameras from the back of 2 brand new Klugers, and I couldn't help but shake my head at the irony.
Not so much irony, but just a demonstration of how much the market has changed.

30 years ago those news crews would have been in a Holden/Ford panno I assume.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #425
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Same was said when they made the engine plant closure announcement, and quality did not drop off at all. The company also put incentives on meeting quality benchmarks, that each worker would get bonuses if they were met. So don't expect quality to drop off.
Yes Boss, just from your previous post, I feel very sad at the news and it must be unimaginably hard for those such as you and your family who have a long history of association with the brand.

I also tend to agree with you that the quality will not drop off, the pride in the work will still be there.

People should be given some time to grieve (for lack of a better word) and anger is part of that process. Then can come the more rational comments.

All the best Boss
Old 23-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #426
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think "made in Australia" for a car is that big a deal for the big majority of buyers anymore...well it's not obviously, as 85% of cars sold are built overseas.

Buyers have become used to very well equipped cars at a good price. If you are completely honest, it's actually pretty hard to buy a "bad" car nowadays. We bought our son a cheap car...a new Suzuki Alto for $10,990 drive away...two years ago, and apart from the air conditioning knob coming loose, it's had zero problems. It's comfortable, goes surprisingly well for such a cheap little car, and runs on the smell of an oily rag. You would expect something that cheap built in India to be a crap bucket, hardly worth even considering, but it's not. It's honestly a great little thing.

This is what Falcon has to compete with (Commodore too)...sharply priced cars of all sizes that even in their cheapest guise are still good. People no longer see the "need" the biggest car they can lay their hands on for a small family, and if they have a few kids, they usually buy some sort of SUV which have taken the place of large cars in most places...better equipped, just as nice to drive, and safe.

I wouldn't be surprised if Commodore went next.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #427
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Yes Boss, just from your previous post, I feel very sad at the news and it must be unimaginably hard for those such as you and your family who have a long history of association with the brand.

I also tend to agree with you that the quality will not drop off, the pride in the work will still be there.

People should be given some time to grieve (for lack of a better word) and anger is part of that process. Then can come the more rational comments.

All the best Boss
Cheers mate. Ford have sent us all home and although tomorrow was supposed to be a down day anyway they don't want anyone coming to work unless they want to discuss any issues.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #428
GT-spec15

I actually think some sort of 'memorial' thread dedicated to the more emotive discussion would be a good idea. Mods?

People, myself included, clearly wish to discuss the 'business' side of the issue and it is obviously upsetting some people.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #429
Vormund

This would be the memorial thread now wouldn't it?

Like I said, analysing can wait for the moment methinks.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #430
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormund View Post
This would be the memorial thread now wouldn't it?

Like I said, analysing can wait for the moment methinks.
There's been a mix of emotion/rational debate in this thread.

The thread was started because of the announcement...it's obvious people are going to want to discuss the hows/whys.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #431
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-spec15 View Post
There's been a mix of emotion/rational debate in this thread.

The thread was started because of the announcement...it's obvious people are going to want to discuss the hows/whys.
Your like a vulture, just want to keep picking at the corpse of FOA for your own self fulfillment. Most know the hows and why's anyway.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #432
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
Your like a vulture, just want to keep picking at the corpse of FOA for your own self fulfillment. Most know the hows and why's anyway.
Not really.

Just interested in discussing the issue.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #433
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-spec15 View Post
Why does it spell the end for V8SC?

The beauty of the new V8SC common chassis is that it makes it far easier for a manufacturer to develop a race car. If Ford imported the Taurus as a replacement, it could run that.

Chrysler looks to be confirmed, Mercedes and Nissan are committed, rumours of yet another possible entry...the category is extremely healthy!
And why would Ford want to run a Taurus and shell out more monies in a segment that's going backwards.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #434
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I knew it was coming but still couldn't help shed a tear when reading about it.

Only makes me want to keep my slice of Aussie Ford metal even further - FG XR8, last of the OZ Ford V8.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #435
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
And why would Ford want to run a Taurus and shell out more monies in a segment that's going backwards.
There's clearly value in the marketing side of V8SC, otherwise Nissan, Chrysler and others would not be interested in taking part.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #436
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Just caught this on the news over here in NZ,had Falcons ever since i was old enough to drive,takes a bit to sink in eh.Thoughts go out to all those involved in the industry over there and there familys,very sad day for a lot of people.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #437
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to the news Ford has lost over 600million over the last few years, hardly a surprise they have decided to close up shop. All the best to those who will be affected by this it's not a nice situation to be put into.
Old 23-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #438
hodge_williams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how is V8SC going backwards or am I misreading something?

It is truly a sad day for all, every car I have owned has been a falcon, XE, 2 x EB, EL, BA, 2XFG, funny enough until my current FPV they have all been blue. Its a real shame....
Old 23-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #439
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty76 View Post
Who won the bloody war. Aussie patriots are driving jap cars and the toffs are driving Kraut cars.
I supposed I shouldn't have Japanese or German friends either?
Old 23-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #440
DANNO178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
I knew it was coming but still couldn't help shed a tear when reading about it.

Only makes me want to keep my slice of Aussie Ford metal even further - FG XR8, last of the OZ Ford V8.
Yes a sad day indeed, I still have the first of the oz V8 ,
My 66 xr fairmont V8 .
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #441
Ron62
Starter Motor

Everyone will be thinking of you and your work colleagues Bossxr8. The most important thing here is that all you guys get employment after 2016. I am glad that the only car that I have bought brand new was my XR6. Its a great car and I share the sentiments with all the others and to that fact all the Aussies building our cars whatever brand, Thanks. Wish the best for all you guys.

Ron.
7 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #442
barnz_xr8
Turbo 358W

this is the worst thing ever !!!! I blame the left wing limp wristed Australian people these days, men used to be men now ever one is a metro thai hilux driving sheep. this is a huge reflection on Australia as a hole, not every one is a plumber or a builder or a banker, good buy Australia R.I.P
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #443
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty76 View Post
Who won the bloody war. Aussie patriots are driving jap cars and the toffs are driving Kraut cars. Even the police are driving front wheel drive pieces of ****. Fleet cars... what a nightmare for the AUSTRALIAN brand. Could the government save Ford Australia now....The yanks saved Ford USA years back why cant our government!!
Ok, clutching at straws with the war time comments.

Why should the government save Ford? it isn't an Australian company, it is a local arm of a US company, the funds primarily coming out of the US parent.
Ford AU is not a government dept and therefore cannot survive on handouts alone.

Whilst it is sad to see Ford AU closing manufacturing they are still employing Australians in their engineering division.

How many Australian companies have closed up shop in recent years but no one cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnz_xr8 View Post
this is the worst thing ever !!!! I blame the left wing limp wristed Australian people these days, men used to be men now ever one is a metro thai hilux driving sheep. this is a huge reflection on Australia as a hole, not every one is a plumber or a builder or a banker, good buy Australia R.I.P
limp wristed driving a hilux? WTF?
Hilux and other dual cab utes are versatile vehicles that now can carry the family in comfort whilst doubling as a work ute too.
There is nothing limp wristed about that.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #444
barnz_xr8
Turbo 358W

the gov co is only intrested in gay marriage and anti hoon bull, how about worry about Australian jobs, I blame the aging nanny generation, that used to have 1100 people die in Victoria alone now a couple of hundred die, typical limp wristed
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #445
GT-spec15

It's a massive issue and we never hear about the little guy closing down.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #446
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Ford Aust should really be commended in the way they have handled this. They have no doubt given this decision lots of thought. I suppose we all knew the writing was on the wall but good to see Ford have announced this miles before D-day. This gives everyone of those 1200 people who will lose their jobs an ample opportunity to transit to new careers.
Now after having read all the posts on this thread, I must say that for those that are carrying on as if they have lost one of their pet dogs to a hit and run, "Get over it". Its a motor car made by a car company that's here to run a business. If Samsung discontinued the Galaxy 4 tomorrow and the masses were crying about it, I would call them Geeks.

Last edited by Peuty; 23-05-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Childish name calling
4 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #447
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnz_xr8 View Post
the gov co is only intrested in gay marriage and anti hoon bull, how about worry about Australian jobs, I blame the aging nanny generation, that used to have 1100 people die in Victoria alone now a couple of hundred die, typical limp wristed
I don't quite understand your post.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #448
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Sad day for the Falcon, Ford employees and manufacturing in Australia, from a business point of view it was the only option, 600 million loss in the last 5 years and Aussies not buying there local made product.
For the car buyer it will mean 2 models are dropped and plenty of new and exiting Fords coming to our shores soon.
We support the Ford Motor Company, and looking forward to the new models arriving in the future.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 23-05-2013 at 04:13 PM.
9 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #449
BHDOGS
Banned

this is a ******** day for Australia and i hope people are happy with themselves fords dead holden is giving it there last shot with there last ever rwd car and if it fails there out the door to. Theres not gonna be any customer sevice jobs left when theres nobody earning money from other places to buy anything.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #450
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
I think Ford Aust should really be commended in the way they have handled this. They have no doubt given this decision lots of thought. I suppose we all knew the writing was on the wall but good to see Ford have announced this miles before D-day. This gives everyone of those 1200 people who will lose their jobs an ample opportunity to transit to new careers.
You raise a good point there.

I think they are to be commended for how they have handled things. I have been witness to hard decisions like this in business, and it is NEVER easy for management.

Many have the view that executives make these decisions while sipping champagne on yachts and it is NOT the case.

It's a tough time for everybody at Ford.
Closed Thread